Detective Buff

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paradox97
Byond Username: Paradox97

Detective Buff

Post by paradox97 » #369427

I really think that the detective needs to be buffed some. I am unsure how to go about this but I have a few ideas.

Ideally I would like a way for the detective to watch camera footage (as in, watch recorded footage rather than live), but I'm going to wager a guess this wouldn't be easy (or possible?) to implement. Maybe it would be possible for the detective to install bugs in suspicious areas and listen in?

Perhaps people could have a very small chance to drop a hair every once in a while that the detective could ID. When someone attacks the chance of them loosing hairs increases, allowing the detective to piece together an assailant this way. Wearing hats could alleviate but not remove the problem.

This is all I have.
Last edited by paradox97 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Detective Rework

Post by ShadowDimentio » #369474

Trivia: Hair that falls out naturally (isn't pulled out, if it's pulled out it might have the hair pore thing on the end) can't be used for DNA identification*

*I saw this on TV once dunno if it's true
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #369488

paradox97 wrote: Ideally I would like a way for the detective to watch camera footage (as in, watch recorded footage rather than live), but I'm going to wager a guess this wouldn't be easy (or possible?) to implement. Maybe it would be possible for the detective to install bugs in suspicious areas and listen in?
Cool ideas. Hide a recorder in a locker to bug. I don't know if you need to be holding it for it to record though. If that isn't how it works, It should be changed.

I think watching camera footage, in theory, is a fantastic idea. However, implementation I'm sure might be difficult. Real life security cameras operate and a slower framerate and lower quality than regular cameras. I'd think maybe adding some sort of low FPS version would make it authentic and make it simple to store.

The AI realistically should be acting as a camera detection system. I think with the fast paced rounds we have, it's difficult to view events happening in real time. I think deactivating cameras would make it so you couldn't access the film inside (so there is no revealing who deactivated the camera)
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #369490

> rework
> just straight up buffs

GAHHHHHHHHH
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
paradox97

Post by paradox97 » #369501

ShadowDimentio wrote:Trivia: Hair that falls out naturally (isn't pulled out, if it's pulled out it might have the hair pore thing on the end) can't be used for DNA identification*

*I saw this on TV once dunno if it's true
This is pretty correct. Unless the follicle is attached DNA is limited. I mean... does it have to be 100% accurate? Perhaps the detective only being able to ID hair color would help some, but I suspect this would be pretty underwhelming.
paradox97

Post by paradox97 » #369503

Cobby wrote:> rework
> just straight up buffs

GAHHHHHHHHH
My apologies. I'll rename the threat. The detective needs to be buffed though, at least in my opinion, he's currently a sec officer without a taser or a HUD. I've played quite a few detective rounds (not excessively, CMO is my main) and I've honestly only solved a handful of crimes, maybe I am just bad, but I do not see a whole lot of crimes solved by detectives normally.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #369507

paradox97 wrote:This is pretty correct. Unless the follicle is attached DNA is limited. I mean... does it have to be 100% accurate? Perhaps the detective only being able to ID hair color would help some, but I suspect this would be pretty underwhelming.
It's worth even less as a clue than clothes fibers, barring cases where it's like a neon pink hair (or maybe not even barring that depending on the crew :honk: )
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Re: Detective Buff

Post by teepeepee » #369656

sounds like a straight up baldie buff, no complaints from me, baldie main :^).
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #369799

As an alternative, just give us a set of corony/autopsy tools and procedures. If somebody dies we should be able to find out how and approximately when they died. Definitely something that would improve life for the detective as well as give medical something new to do.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #369800

ShadowDimentio wrote:
paradox97 wrote:This is pretty correct. Unless the follicle is attached DNA is limited. I mean... does it have to be 100% accurate? Perhaps the detective only being able to ID hair color would help some, but I suspect this would be pretty underwhelming.
It's worth even less as a clue than clothes fibers, barring cases where it's like a neon pink hair (or maybe not even barring that depending on the crew :honk: )
It also depends on how thoroughly and recently you wash your hair- if dead skin cells from dandruff are stuck to it, those contain DNA.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
paradox97

Post by paradox97 » #369939

cedarbridge wrote:As an alternative, just give us a set of corony/autopsy tools and procedures. If somebody dies we should be able to find out how and approximately when they died. Definitely something that would improve life for the detective as well as give medical something new to do.
This. Kill two birds with one stone.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #370112

Forensics is already overpowered though
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #370115

cedarbridge wrote:As an alternative, just give us a set of corony/autopsy tools and procedures. If somebody dies we should be able to find out how and approximately when they died. Definitely something that would improve life for the detective as well as give medical something new to do.
Medical scanner gives a time of death and the damage readouts can let you hypethosise the cause, it also has a chemical scanner for determing chemicals in someone's system and chemicals in a dead body don't metabolise.
Only thing you could really add is the kind of injuries as a descriptor, for example:

"[She/He/It] appears to be covered in [minor/moderate/severe] [freezer/chemical/electrical/heat]."
"[She/He/It] appears to be covered in [minor/moderate/severe] [bruising/lacerations]."

I suppose you could also examine bloody objects with the scanner to determine whose blood it is. And with cleaned weapons/objects, being able to detect if they've been bloody, but not whose blood it is.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #370127

I mean, we're more than capable of allowing the detective to see exactly what items were used to damage the victim and such. We already do it for admin logs, it would just need a cuter UI and to be more limited.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #370137

Looking at an abstract number of brute or burn damage is not nearly as useful and important to a detective as knowing the actual cause of the injury. Guesswork is a poor substitute to giving a corony surgical procedure that gave the weapon or thing that put the character either to crit, death, or both.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #370176

Lumbermancer wrote: Here are few of my ideas:

Make forensic clues more ubiquitous but also limited, prints and fibers and dna should be common, but not obvious.

Fibers should tell you only colour and/or textile if colour is obfuscated by wear, or paint or blood or whatever. i.e white fiber could mean medical jumpsuit, but also a roboticists lab coat. Fiber could be two coloured, so white-blue fiber would point you more specifically towards medical jumpsuit (but not always, since there's a white suit with blue elements in the vending machines). Textile would allow to tell you engineer's jumpsuit from radiation suit.

Fingerprints would be common as well, but you would rarely get full ones. Most common would be partial prints (I believe this was a thing a long time ago), which would force you to comb through the database in search of a match. But you wouldn't be able to just paste the partial string into the box to find results like you can now, the search would only work with full prints. Instead you will have to mix and match all the clues you've gathered, for example a yellow fiber would narrow your search down to cargo, engineering and atmos.

Sometimes you would still get multiple hits, you could then try and use new clue to figure things out = hair. If found at the crime scene, you can use it to warn your officers to look out for that murderous aryan blond greyshirt.

If bad guys have some water or a damp rag or other cleaning implement, they can attempt to clean the crime scene - shortening partial prints, removing fiber colours, or simply getting rid of all the clues altogether.

Anyway, this system would still allow you to pinpoint a baddie precisely (but with more effort) while also improving your in-the-field sleuthing (the aforementioned aryan greyshirt).

Either way I'm just thinking out loud. This would probably be hard to code.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #370464

Why not give medical doctors this tool? I think that it would force some collaberation, and also, give them something to do for when they're storing the bodies and put in their medical records.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #370515

Although more forensic/investigation stuff would be cool, I can't see it being used when you can just clone the person and ask them what happened.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #370684

Why does detective even need buffs?
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #371933

Instead of video footage, maybe give detective a camera that can actively track people.