Hands up, don't shoot!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Hands up, don't shoot!

Post by Lumbermancer » #373004

Maybe some don't know, but there's now a *surrender emote in, and it's pretty great. It basically forces you down to the ground saying "x puts his hands on his head and falls to the ground, they surrender!". You can't get up on your own for a while too. I love it, it helps roleplaying! The chief complaint of the tide is "why you tase me bro", and I have to explain that I need to search you but I don't want to get killed in the process. Now the problem Is solved, I only need to tell the perp to get the fuck down on the ground.

But it needs some improvements. It needs to be more visible, there should be a relevant icon hovering over person who surrender, maybe even with a timer bar showing how long will they stay down. The length of surrender should be probably increased too, so I can search a guy easily before he gets up.

Lastly, it needs to be used more, and for this it needs to be more visible as an option. I was thinking of putting a button above intents, or something like that. But the usage of this is too limited to introduce it as a permanent UI element I think. So what if instead, using security mask hailer gave people in range a pop up in top left corner, allowing them to surrender?

[youtube]uj0mtxXEGE8[/youtube]
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Re: Hands up, don't shoot!

Post by Hathkar » #373107

Only problem is that you can trick people with just emoting "Name puts his hands on his head and falls to the ground, they surrender!". An icon or something visible on the player would help alleviate fake surrenders.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #373127

I quite like this idea, and it should be added. Have a visual indicator that they have surrendered, like a little white flag hovering over their head, with a visual progress bar if they start to get up.

This could be useful in plenty of situations. Find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time? Surrender. Just beat down a traitor, and security is busting through the door? Surrender. Trying to beg for your life as a traitor, and you are totally outmatched? Surrender (As if that would happen) Trying to escape security during a brawl? Surrender.

Now, to ensure the surrender is respected both ways, or that someone doesn't take advantage of you surrendering, you instantly get back up if someone attacks you. Now, a stun baton won't let you bounce back up, but Joey Greytide coming at you with a fire extinguisher will let you get out of the way and try again in a slightly safer spot.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #373212

I'm so going to try and stage a GLM protest with all the retards I can muster and *surrender outside the brig while yelling at sec, greatest addition yet.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #373475

I think that people would be executed more often for surrendering.

Shitcurity believes that chucklefuck the clown is an antag, he surrenders as it's his only choice, he is now an easy target. I think that few people as antags or non-antags would do it. A non-antag would say "I've done nothing wrong, why should I surrender?" while an antag would be stupid and vulnerable.

I think that executions are too frequent on the server, so unless that is handled, this would get people killed more often. I've tried to surrender to security, they don't threaten force, they just go for it.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373516

make it so that if someone surrenders it puts big red bolded massive text on everyone's log nearby (though you can't get up on your own for a while so you can't spam it and if people try to abuse it with a friend helping them up just add a delay between surrendering attempts)

a visual cue that they're surrendered would be nice but an icon seems memey? I don't know, good idea but idk how it could be executed

add admin logging for when people execute surrendered people because if someone literally makes it so they cannot do anything and are entirely at an officer's mercy and the officer executes them they're a shitty player
Limey wrote:its too late.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #373524

Qbopper wrote:make it so that if someone surrenders it puts big red bolded massive text on everyone's log nearby (though you can't get up on your own for a while so you can't spam it and if people try to abuse it with a friend helping them up just add a delay between surrendering attempts)

a visual cue that they're surrendered would be nice but an icon seems memey? I don't know, good idea but idk how it could be executed

add admin logging for when people execute surrendered people because if someone literally makes it so they cannot do anything and are entirely at an officer's mercy and the officer executes them they're a shitty player
Yeah, maybe some bolded text would work nicely.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373535

CosmicScientist wrote:Icons are not memey, spamming chat is.
did you not see the part where i say "there's a big red bold message but you can't spam it because of the fact that you can't do anything while surrendered and if someone helps you up so you can spam it then there can just be a cooldown on surrendering"

edit: also if someone goes into a crowded area e.g the shuttle to meme with it it's a bad idea because you've just allowed people to fuck with you and you have zero chance of retaliation
Limey wrote:its too late.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #373539

Should have a popout menu that contains rest, sleep, and surrender, so you don't have to type the verb.
I lurk quite often...