Persistent (cosmetic) unlocks

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Persistent (cosmetic) unlocks

Post by onleavedontatme » #373614

Was talking with MSO about if/how to add moths to the game other than just throwing another roundstart race on the pile, and he said

<MrStonedOne> a better but harder to properly pull off idea, would be to gate one or both behind some in game lock, ftl style, where you have to find a ruin and do some bullshit and might involve multiple ruins

Similar could be done with killing bosses (your kinetic accelerator gets a fancy skin) and so on

Would this form of persistence make people mad or do you think it'd be fun
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: Persistent (cosmetic) unlocks

Post by Bombadil » #373620

Kor wrote:Was talking with MSO about if/how to add moths to the game other than just throwing another roundstart race on the pile, and he said

<MrStonedOne> a better but harder to properly pull off idea, would be to gate one or both behind some in game lock, ftl style, where you have to find a ruin and do some bullshit and might involve multiple ruins

Similar could be done with killing bosses (your kinetic accelerator gets a fancy skin) and so on

Give me DOOM armor and DOOM shotgun for having killed every megafauna.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #373621

>would literally anything make people mad???

Do you even need to ask
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #373622

Make a critical mass of people mad*
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373624

Kor wrote:Make a critical mass of people mad*
does the critical mass of people have to be people who play

anyways if it's harmless shit like side races, sure, why not

also you could add the magic dullahan guillotine and then make that an unlock with this system so i am forever in favor

actually offtopic but make it so if you do that your ckey is permanently locked to playing dullahans only and admins are unable to change that back
Limey wrote:its too late.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #373632

Cool as long as we don't have to worry about admins circumventing the whole system to help themselves or players cheat things out
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #373634

I've never really been a fan of persistent stuff. I guess it would be okay though
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #373635

honestly the curator persistence is more annoying than anything. i end up clicking the soapstone messages in combat and they're generally shit memes anyway. the display cases are largely ignored or every five rounds ill get an ahelp on how to open it. overall im not a fan of any of the persistence stuff so far.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #373643

Beards pissed people off enough and I still want them back. I do like the idea of achievement based things but ultimately there will be a quick how-to guide written up the first day to get it unless its some ungodly "kill 500 goliaths" nonsense.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #373645

Only if none get added to mining.
Jk, sounds cool.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #373648

It's a great idea but why squander the opportunty?

You have something that many of the worst players on the server could likely work hard to get. Why not tie it to something more interesting and positive than mining (although this doesn't mean some can't be tied to ruins). Find areas where you want to encourage certain behaviour and throw a reward at the end. Even if they do it once for the cosmetic, the little positive loop of "don't be a shitter, feel good for not being a shitter, wear a little thng that says "look I wasn't a shitter once"" might actually do some people some good.

It's early so I can't think of a specific now, but my ideas are so good I'm sure coders will be falling over themselves to implement it without any effort on my part
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #373668

To not get critical mass of people,who got pissed off, you should rrvert trchwebs. Then you'll be able to put achirvements persistance model.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373679

Stickymayhem wrote:It's a great idea but why squander the opportunty?

You have something that many of the worst players on the server could likely work hard to get. Why not tie it to something more interesting and positive than mining (although this doesn't mean some can't be tied to ruins). Find areas where you want to encourage certain behaviour and throw a reward at the end. Even if they do it once for the cosmetic, the little positive loop of "don't be a shitter, feel good for not being a shitter, wear a little thng that says "look I wasn't a shitter once"" might actually do some people some good.

It's early so I can't think of a specific now, but my ideas are so good I'm sure coders will be falling over themselves to implement it without any effort on my part
yeah i would hope that this isn't just a mining addition

it would be the easiest to come up with ideas for ("kill a megafauna" or something) but that would be kinda crappy if a bunch of work was put into it and all we had was stuff related to lavaland
captain sawrge wrote:Cool as long as we don't have to worry about admins circumventing the whole system to help themselves or players cheat things out
i think i touched on this but yes admins should either not have access to modify this stuff or it should be logged
Qbopper wrote:make it so if you do that your ckey is permanently locked to playing dullahans only and admins are unable to change that back
this is an excellent post
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #373682

Selea wrote:To not get critical mass of people,who got pissed off, you should rrvert trchwebs. Then you'll be able to put achirvements persistance model.
You post with the frequency, irrelevance and poor grammar of a chinese adbot.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #373687

I think the beard was fun.

We could also add unlockables for post-round fun, like
do easy achievement -> get revolver post-round
do hard achievement -> get mech post-round

stuff like that
also maybe something exclusive for byond members
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #373689

Kor wrote:Was talking with MSO about if/how to add moths to the game other than just throwing another roundstart race on the pile, and he said

I'd say if we're doing persistence, security should get something. Something to encourage people to play security so we don't have 15 assistants and 3 security officers. I think that a little rank symbol or something would be cool, and the rank would just accumulate based upon the number of rounds you've played security. You'd only see it if you were part of security too. It wouldn't do anything, however it would give a means of respect for those who play security frequently.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #373690

We can repurpose away missions!

Some away missions can grant these, soul quests of sorts perhaps? Nothing something with murdering but puzzles or something that use rng.

Also maybe we could do additional stats tracking like how much healing a person did in a round and make positive things like that allow unlocks(ie: you healed others 100x more than you did damage to others).
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #373695

Does no one remember '''''''cosmetic''''''' beards and what a disaster that turned out to be?
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #373700

This sounds awesome, like what Goonstation does where if you unlock an achievement it can come with a cosmetic to change one of the items you currently possess into something different

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Does no one remember '''''''cosmetic''''''' beards and what a disaster that turned out to be?
I don't because I'm a newfag please remind me

TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #373705

Basically there were persistant beards that grew for each round you survived, eventually getting special effects like rainbows or flames. If you died or were shaved you had to start over.

People quickly started shaving/killing each other them, starting a bunch of dumb arguments, ahelps, and salt. Nobody wanted to deal with this so they were soon removed.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373707

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Does no one remember '''''''cosmetic''''''' beards and what a disaster that turned out to be?
you can't shave someone else's skin

er

wait

i mean like

cosmetic skins

fuck
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #373722

TribeOfBeavers wrote:Basically there were persistant beards that grew for each round you survived, eventually getting special effects like rainbows or flames. If you died or were shaved you had to start over.

People quickly started shaving/killing each other them, starting a bunch of dumb arguments, ahelps, and salt. Nobody wanted to deal with this so they were soon removed.
And people whined about them to a frankly absurd degree when admin events got them killed.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #373723

Beards were just a bad idea to begin with. Goonstation style cosmetic rewards are a good idea, I like the idea of adding ranks for officers that survive rounds, extra job names for more veteren jobs would be an easy and fun addition for playing and surviving as a job.

For sec officers it could be increased rank,the display of such capping at a certain point for officers (but still accumulating) and going higher for Warden and HoS. With full rounds survived being displayed in security or medical records.

For medical staff you can get specialty titles such as Cryogenicist, Surgeon, Nurse, or Paramedic.

For science staff you can get Xenobiologist, Toxins Researcher, or Research Scientist.

Any other ideas would be nice to add, it would give people flavor and bragging rights at roundstart, as well as adding a bit of roleplaying ability.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #373726

I think, that Lifeweb style system with chromosomes is better idea.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #373734

Dr_bee wrote:Beards were just a bad idea to begin with. Goonstation style cosmetic rewards are a good idea, I like the idea of adding ranks for officers that survive rounds, extra job names for more veteren jobs would be an easy and fun addition for playing and surviving as a job.

For sec officers it could be increased rank,the display of such capping at a certain point for officers (but still accumulating) and going higher for Warden and HoS. With full rounds survived being displayed in security or medical records.

For medical staff you can get specialty titles such as Cryogenicist, Surgeon, Nurse, or Paramedic.

For science staff you can get Xenobiologist, Toxins Researcher, or Research Scientist.

Any other ideas would be nice to add, it would give people flavor and bragging rights at roundstart, as well as adding a bit of roleplaying ability.
I like this. I'd say it would be nice if it didn't depend on much success. Security officers playing security instead of surviving would make people rage less, since it would still count. Trying to stay alive for a round discourages regular activity such as validhunting or risking their lives for other players which is counter productive. Imagine being a security officer, and you investigating a dead body gets you killed, you rage because you did your job, yet you got punished for it by dying, and no one will know you did your job next time you play security.

I'd say the variety of ideas you mention is super cool. Measuring time spent in certain areas could account for those titles. It would work so long as the blueprints stay the same.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #373736

You won't be able to erase other peoples unlocks in this case so I'm hoping there will be less angst about it.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #373738

Haha beards were never merged just testmerged :^)

After that was over, I thought of doing something similar except with hats or other clothing that level up as they are successfully brought to centcom while worn by a character, and gradually become more bombastic as they level up. This seems to be a better idea than beards because someone could steal your hat, and if they are the ones who bring it to centcom it's saved to their character instead, so your progress isn't lost, just stolen.
I lurk quite often...
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #373740

Kor wrote:
You won't be able to erase other peoples unlocks in this case so I'm hoping there will be less angst about it.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #373743

Kor wrote:
hugbox
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #373767

This was an idea that was talked about in 2014: https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Bones
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #373769

Better late than never
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373773

people seem to be mostly in favor so what would be some cool unlocks

make it so you have to do something really absurd and long and grindy to get a grey jumpsuit as assistant
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #373777

Qbopper wrote: make it so you have to do something really absurd and long and grindy to get a grey jumpsuit as assistant
Preform every unique suicide at least once? :P

I'd be in favour of unlockable cosmetic stuff. It'd be good to have some sort of goal to work towards across rounds.

They could work like the detective revolver/bartender shotgun do right now, so like nothing that changes inhand sprites for combat stuff. But something like unique beaker sprites for chemists or new engineer hardhats would be neat.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #373791

so moths but now with more pride and accomplishment

add actual ftl races that would be actually cool
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #373825

If cosmetic unlocks are to be added, none of them should be based around 'surviving x amount of rounds in a row', since that goes against the concept of "dying is part of the game." It also lends itself to people bitching about their progress being lost because 'x killed me' and only lends to grudging for dumb reasons.

Just for the complete opposite of the above issue, there should be a milestone achievement for dying 100(0) times. Gives the option to enable a confetti popper with a 'yay!' sound effect when you die, similar to Halo's Grunt Birthday Party.
[youtube]QtEljxur6eI[/youtube]
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #373832

Serious suggestion: We already have achievements, maybe more could be added and we could tie unlocks to them. Maybe add one for being a head of staff during a round when the station goal is completed.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #373850

Minor, mostly useless items that spawn at the start. The British flag cup is one such item. Was made originally for one of the best medics on station. It's just a cup, but it shows a dedication to the server.

Little department trinkets for people who play a lot of X department, survivor trinkets for people who make it out alive often, little wiggits for people who perform difficult feats (Kill all the syndicate and pirates at the wreckage site, steal the operative's nuke, kill every type of mega fauna in one round, etc, etc.)

They could be used as a means to determine who's an expert in their field, and who's just learning the ropes, and who has gone above and beyond the call of duty. A silver plated health analyzer for doctors, plasma dyed labcoat for scientists, bubblegum claw keychain for miners, etc, etc. Purely visual alterations, but something that lets you know at a glance you are dealing with a "professional"

And if the person doesn't like showing off, they can always discard the item and pick up a regular one, or just turn off the feature.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #373940

I think it will be cool as long as we have an achieve for having a bunch of non lathe flashlights in your inventory because I keep telling chaplains to collect like 20 flashlights before I answer their prayers and its super funny watching them scavenge for flashlights
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #373999

a mEYEning scanner for killing legion (think eye of Cthulhu) when?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374002

Being able to distinguish experienced players sounds cool
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #374118

can we get an achievement for taking down every member of a nuke ops team with your bare hands pls thx
also killing an ash drake with a spear that would be cool
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #374193

i have more gun sprites in my gallery than qbop has cheeto cumstains on his keyboard.

expect cosmetic guns if this is implemented
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #374843

Slaughter 10 crewmembers in the process of ERP and gain the "Bulge" unlock.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #375014

I would prefer it if achievements were:

1. Preferably the majority were not antag based
2. To do with actions related to jobs/positions

Perhaps if somehow you could track how much a doctor has healed folk through medicine/sleeper/cryo.
How many walls or floors an engineer has built?
Etc. Etc.

Whatever we choose, if we choose something, will be abused no doubt by many. I frankly don't see how we can't make an unabusable automated system.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #375152

Rustledjimm wrote:Whatever we choose, if we choose something, will be abused no doubt by many. I frankly don't see how we can't make an unabusable automated system.
if someone is acting in bad faith (eg. beating someone up just to throw them into a sleeper, then repeating) just talk to/ban them
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #375361

Qbopper wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:Whatever we choose, if we choose something, will be abused no doubt by many. I frankly don't see how we can't make an unabusable automated system.
if someone is acting in bad faith (eg. beating someone up just to throw them into a sleeper, then repeating) just talk to/ban them
I believe the game keeps logs of where damage comes from. If you are trying to heal X damage via the sleeper, it doesn't count any damage you've dealt to the person. Also, have cosmetics be tied directly to the job. If you want the chef's special kitchen/butcher knife skin, you need to work as a chef, not just some assistant who's set up their autism achievement fortress in maint so they can just rush for dem skins.

Some minimum playtime should also be tied to the items. I'm thinking 30 or more. To show a dedication to the role, as well as your ability in it.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #375386

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
I believe the game keeps logs of where damage comes from. If you are trying to heal X damage via the sleeper, it doesn't count any damage you've dealt to the person. Also, have cosmetics be tied directly to the job. If you want the chef's special kitchen/butcher knife skin, you need to work as a chef, not just some assistant who's set up their autism achievement fortress in maint so they can just rush for dem skins.

Some minimum playtime should also be tied to the items. I'm thinking 30 or more. To show a dedication to the role, as well as your ability in it.
still not perfect but that does sound better

fucking assistants in maint making achievement_idle lmao
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #375394

Qbopper wrote:
Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

still not perfect but that does sound better

fucking assistants in maint making achievement_idle lmao
No items should exist for assistants, since they are the least productive member of the crew (mostly) and are supposed to be the learning role, not the fuck about and piss people off while getting your valids on role.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #375407

We could also just accept that people are going to game the system and rush for unlocks they want? Honestly I thought the whole point of having them be only cosmetic was so that we wouldn't have to obsess over balance. Obviously griefing people to get them as a non-antag should still be against the rules like it always is.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #375410

Wyzack wrote:We could also just accept that people are going to game the system and rush for unlocks they want? Honestly I thought the whole point of having them be only cosmetic was so that we wouldn't have to obsess over balance. Obviously griefing people to get them as a non-antag should still be against the rules like it always is.
I mean you'll never be able to fully stop people from abusing achievement systems, but adding simple checks for the lowest effort methods to farm them wouldn't be unreasonable imo