Fixing mining vouchers

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Fixing mining vouchers

Post by Denton » #377000

I'm looking for input on a PR that rebalances mining vouchers (pretty sure everyone can agree that they're in an bad state right now).

90% of miners buy the scanner+resonator kit, simply because having an advanced scanner outweighs other kits that either have god awful value (drone/webbing kits) or are less useful roundstart.

I have some ideas in mind (like reworking drone/webbit kits and moving the conscript kit to the vending machine), but how would you fix them?
Denton

Re: Fixing mining vouchers

Post by Denton » #377016

So far it's
- Webbing+shelter capsule kit: 900pts value
- Resonator+Scanner: 1600pts
- Mining drone: 800pts plus a welder and goggles
- Extraction (fulton) kit: 1700pts
- Crusher kit: 1250pts plus a mini extinguisher
- Conscript kit: ???pts, should be a vending machine item instead

tl;dr
Webbing has awful value, drone is complete garbage without sentience/AI upgrade, nobody uses the crusher or resonator for obvious reasons.
Conscript kit is the worst offender, unless you're metafriending you won't know immediately at roundstart that a player from another department wants to start mining.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #377020

The only person who ever used the crusher was ergovisavi because he's fucking nuts and killed a colossus with one. The only reason scanner + resonator is so high pointwise is because no one bought the resonator for obvious fucking reasons. And no one will ever use a resonator even if they were buffed
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #377021

I would use the crusher more often if the upgrades didn't have such an abyssmal drop rate
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #377053

I love the crusher personally, I nearly killed Heiro first time I fought him with it
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #377211

the crusher is great get good noob
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #377214

SpaceInaba wrote:the crusher is great get good noob
I wish the upgrades were actually obtainable or carried over between rounds.

KA's get stronger over the duration of the round, crushers just stay the same power unless you get stupidly lucky with a drop from a mob or somehow manage to melee megafauna to death.

KA is a better roundstart mining tool but for fighting it is lackluster for how risky it is to use.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #377220

Dr_bee wrote:

KA's get stronger over the duration of the round, crushers just stay the same power unless you get stupidly lucky with a drop from a mob or somehow manage to melee megafauna to death.

KA is a better roundstart mining tool but for fighting it is lackluster for how risky it is to use.
if you get a rhythm for the mob ticks you can pretty much kill anything without getting hit
also just kill heirophant considering he has no actual melee attack and go from there
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #377228

Dr_bee wrote:

I've gotten the drops a few times they're not that rare, just don't expect to get more than 1 or 2 a round at best
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #377231

Dr_bee wrote:

>carried over between rounds
Stop.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #377256

Bombadil wrote: And no one will ever use a resonator even if they were buffed
i use the resonator. its quicker than any other roundstart mining item and its more than enough to get the materials you need for the first load to unlock advanced plasma cuttersif rnd would fucking research them despite me reminding them constantly reeeeeeeeeeee
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #377259

https://atlantaned.space/statbus/stat.p ... 18&month=1

Scanner is the most popular by far but it is definitely not 90%

Conscript kit is meant for metafriending and its not like the option there hurts the others, even if its pretty niche, so I'm not sure what needs fixing.
Denton

Post by Denton » #377341

Neat, I didn't even know that those stats are tracked.

Honestly very surprised that so many people grab the webbing+capsule, it's just a 500pts glorified belt with a capsule you can get for free down at the mining base lockers.

I don't have an issue with the conscript kit being available roundstart btw, I'd probably just add it to the vending machine as well.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #377386

TFW I’ve always got the webbing
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Denton

Post by Denton » #377408

Darn, I was wrong about how popular what kits actually are.

January 2018:
Resonator and Advanced Scanner: 51.7%
Survival Capsule and Explorer's Webbing: 23.8%
Crusher Kit: 14.9%
Extraction and Rescue Kit: 5.3%
Mining Drone: 2.2%
Mining Conscription Kit: 1.9%

I think the mining drone kit would be a lot more popular with a sentience module and also still good points wise (1800). Right now, the basic drone is complete garbage.
Fulton kit could have the 30 useless markers replaced with a second fulton beacon (1800).
Crusher kit would be complimented well by a stabilizing serum or medipen (1650/1750), after all you'll get hit a bunch with that weapon.

No clue yet about the capsule+webbing and resonator+scanner kits.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #377421

I used to like the resonator way back during roid mining but now I get it just for that adv scanner.

Sometimes I get the fulton kit for quick escape memes.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #377428

I've always bought the webbing for the storage or the adv scanner.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #377429

Basic drone is a cheap draggable Satchel of Holding.

Not everything needs to be equally popular or picked, nor will it ever be.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Denton

Post by Denton » #377433

D&B wrote:Basic drone is a cheap draggable Satchel of Holding.
So an ore box, except it costs points and can't block shots for you?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #377439

Denton wrote:
D&B wrote:Basic drone is a cheap draggable Satchel of Holding.
So an ore box, except it costs points and can't block shots for you?
Yeah but can shoot back.

Giving them sentience potion is stupidly OP since it basically gives you another player mob that can't be stunned nor poisoned, can survive atmos, and has tools to break down doors and such.

Maybe a random of the three upgrades would be better but giving it flat out straight sentience is dumb.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #377452

I always go for crusher kit, it makes me feel way more into the role, as well as forcing me to manage my storage and only take the most necessary stuff. It feels more like a challenge, and I only ever die to those 1x1 chasms outside clown ruin or antags when playing miner. That said it could really use a buff, either upgrades dropping more frequently or a starting serum/survival pen. After one haul you should probably get your adv scanner anyways, and you can just drag your plasma cutter behind you while you fight, and then keep the crusher on backslot the rest of the time (maybe you could make plasma cutters fit in webbings?). All in all a great idea, even if other kits got buffed I doubt people would want to sacrifice the convenience of adv scanner for stuff they can just get a few minutes later anyways.
Denton

Post by Denton » #377454

D&B wrote:Giving them sentience potion is stupidly OP since it basically gives you another player mob that can't be stunned nor poisoned, can survive atmos, and has tools to break down doors and such.
That's a good point tbh.
teepeepee wrote:All in all a great idea, even if other kits got buffed I doubt people would want to sacrifice the convenience of adv scanner for stuff they can just get a few minutes later anyways.
Yeah, the people I've played with either grabbed the scanner to mine faster or went for the crusher/webbing and beelined to the nearest tendril/fauna. Dunno how you could fix it, seems to be an underlying problem with mining.
PathOfChaos1
Byond Username: Pathofchaos1

Post by PathOfChaos1 » #378117

Avid mining fan here. The scanner is the most important item if you are actually trying to mine for the good stuff. Otherwise you have to use the basic mining scanner which sucks.

The belt could be more purchasable if it came with another medi-pen. Balancing its costs, and usefulness.

The crusher is gotten by people who want to crush mobs/bosses or have no Idea what it is and die shortly after.

The fulton pack is nearly useless. The best use ive found for it is to steal the orm and just send lockers of ore up to the station for quicker turnover so I can get back to mining. Sending corpses of dead miners up also helps.

The drone kit is meh. Having sentience is kinda required, or if its AI wasn't so shit. It may be useful. Perhaps giving it a random upgrade when purchased via vendor would make it more useful, or having a vendor exclusive upgrade would be cool.

The conscription kit should be a special stun baton-esque. Weapon that traps their current gear in a mini-orm storage device. Teleporting them to a random location far from mining on lavaland. Once you have paid your debt to the mini-orm it teleports you to the station with all your gear, and puts the ore you've mined into the Actual orm on station, or just laying on the floor in cargo.
Great ideas aside. Keep it, but add it to the mining vendor as a normal purchase as well.