Sound Ideas

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Sound Ideas

Post by Cuboos » #31369

So i'm working on a degree in multi-media. Basically doing a bit of every thing. I'm focusing more on 3D art but i do a lot of photoshop and sound too.

So i'd like to experiment with sound a bit more.

Goofball came to me a while ago saying that they wanted a new captain announcement tone. After a bit of playing around, i came up with this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... ncment.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9654207/data.wav
I don't know what this one would be useful for exactly, but it just sounded like some kind of cool transmission or computer process. (Also it's the words "fuck your cunt" in binary, high tones are 1s, lows are 0s)

A few TG developers have said they wanted more alarm sounds, so here's a couple experiments.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... larm_1.wav
I've noticed fire alarms never had any noise, thought this might be appropriate.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9654207/alarm.wav
Not sure where this one would work, could be used somewhere.

That's it for right now. If anyone has some suggestions for sounds you think should be replaced or added i can attempt to make them here.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Sound Ideas

Post by paprika » #31377

Holy fuck put a warning on these my fucking ears

Edit: What we need more than anything is new ambient tracks that run for 30 seconds or so, the lobby ambience, the medbay ambience, etc
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Mindustry
Byond Username: Mindustry

Post by Mindustry » #31387

Those alarms are way too high pitch.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31437

Mindustry wrote:Those alarms are way too high pitch.
Alarms should grab attention but not be overbearing about it. Also, consider a given player on any given day will play several rounds (usually in a row) and get to hear whatever sound you add several times per round. If its a really irritating sound to hear, nobody's going to enjoy it and might as well just rush the earmuffs at roundstart.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #31449

paprika wrote:Holy fuck put a warning on these my fucking ears

Edit: What we need more than anything is new ambient tracks that run for 30 seconds or so, the lobby ambience, the medbay ambience, etc
This, I would love some better maintenance ambience tracks
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #31473

Having somebody who knows what they're doing working on sounds would be amazing
Keep in mind however that we can only really use CC0 sounds. We could maybe make an exception if you license these under another CC license. Maybe. I'm not entirely sure.

And yeah, these are way too high-pitched. Low-pitched alarms would probably fit in much better with SS13 in general.
And basically what other people have said so far, we have very little ambience music.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #31647

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... nt_amb.wav

How's this for an amb sound for maint?
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #31650

That actually sounds really good. Although the dripping noises don't make sense because we don't have a plumbing system. Yet.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #31655

Coolant? mystery fluid? I don't know, it seemed like it would fit. I always had the impression that maint was cold and musty due to lack of vents.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31660

Reimoo wrote:That actually sounds really good. Although the dripping noises don't make sense because we don't have a plumbing system. Yet.
Conensation from local hot/cold pipes.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #31666

Cuboos wrote:Coolant? mystery fluid? I don't know, it seemed like it would fit. I always had the impression that maint was cold and musty due to lack of vents.
It could well be warm and musty. Space is very cold, but it contains very little material to absorb heat by conduction. Compare the feeling of your hand in a 400 degree oven to the feeling of your hand in 400 degree water, and you have an idea of the differences we're talking about here. That leaves blackbody radiation as the only method by which the station can cool down, and with as many heat-generating machines and organisms as populate the station, it could well be that overheating should be more of a hazard than freezing.

I keep wanting to make a suggestion thread about more accurately representing the hazards of space in the code, but frankly it'd be a big gameplay change for very little gameplay benefit. My immersions are probably not that valuable.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #31749

That maintenance ambient track is very good, but I don't think it should have any machinery sounds that can be reproduced by station machinery, like that disposals sound (maybe replace it with echoing metal creaking noise). Other than that, I love it.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #31752

Actually I think the echoed disposal sound is really neat because it implies that the disposal system is actually being used.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #31757

But hearing disposals can be useful, the disposal sound in the track can be confusing.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #31778

Scott wrote:But hearing disposals can be useful, the disposal sound in the track can be confusing.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #31919

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... t_amb2.wav

here it is again with a few mods:
Reduced the amount of drips
added a few metal creaking
Removed SS13 machines
Added a few more misc sounds.

Also, on the discussion of the machines. I can make a pretty convincing far away sound or the sound of something though a wall. Would there be an effective way to implament this into the game? Improved distance sounds?

Oh also, i don't know if any of this has been implemented, but the NT guys a while ago asked me to make some sounds for their Alien Queen, i don't know if it ever made it into the game though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... breath.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... stomp1.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... stomp2.wav

would TG find these useful?
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #31921

Now you just need to make it loop/longer, I am not sure how ambient sounds work in ss13, I haven't had them on for a long time.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #31932

Is it possible to loop sound continuously?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #31949

Don't forget to add some reverb so it sounds like we're actually in a metal deathtrap in space.
Cuboos wrote:Is it possible to loop sound continuously?
I believe the functionality is there, it's just never been tried before AFAIK. It's just a var in the sound proc.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #31956

that entire loop is made out of reverb.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31972

>that distant admin BWOINK

i giggled
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #32012

Hehe, I giggled too, It's around 19-20 seconds. That's funny.
Also, I love your ambient sounds but your alarm sounds just don't really fit. I love your sounds in general, make more please ;_;
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #32030

Just in general, having more things making more sounds would be nice. For most things, not very loud and prominent sounds like airlocks have, but fainter sounds to complement the ambient, except they are actually being produced by the objects and things around you.

That would be really, really nice.
I lurk quite often...
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #32082

Engineering ambience could be full of those retro-space-sounding beeps and boops like here.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #33067

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... ixdown.wav

Changes: time increased to 60 seconds, sounds spread out more, added more creaking, Ghost clown?

Also here's another pass at the fire alarm.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... m_loop.wav
a bit short but it loops perfectly.

And here was an idea i got when playing with the maintenance ambiance.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... ghWall.wav

The first one is a far away version of the disposal while the second one is the sound of a disposal through a wall. I was think (if it were possible) i could edit some of the sounds to have far away version/ through a wall version. Would this be a possibility?
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #33265

I guess far-away is theoretically possible, but I don't think it'd be that great. Through walls is not possible though (or too hard to be worth it, anyway),

I love the maint ambience loop.

E:
I've cut the maint ambience up in 5 parts because that works better. I'll have a PR up shortly.

E2:
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5071
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #33593

Personally I think that maint ambience is a little bit too obtrusive, too dynamic. It should be more ambient, background static, not random sound effects jumping out at you one by one.
Here's what I'm getting at, added a drone sound, another slowly oscillating drone sound and made perhaps too much reverb on everything.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #33605

tbh that much machinery noise only makes sense in maint areas that are near heavy equipment, like the grinder or Engineering, most of maint is pretty empty

I guess the most realistic system would be some kind of extremely long distance reverb that makes any sound made in a maint tunnel reverb all the way through it, but something like that would be unfeasible
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #33610

meh, it'd be possible to have everyone in maint hear faint echoes of all sounds played on the station.
not very efficient, mind you, but possible.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #33612

I may be mistaken, but isn't maintenance divided into more than one area? You could play the tracks with more machinery sounds in the maintenance adjacent to engineering.
kosmos wrote:Personally I think that maint ambience is a little bit too obtrusive, too dynamic. It should be more ambient, background static, not random sound effects jumping out at you one by one.
Here's what I'm getting at, added a drone sound, another slowly oscillating drone sound and made perhaps too much reverb on everything.
It's only played once when you enter.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #33623

Scott wrote:I may be mistaken, but isn't maintenance divided into more than one area? You could play the tracks with more machinery sounds in the maintenance adjacent to engineering..
Yeah it is, I guess that could work. Currently the "machinery" is generic enough to be played everywhere though. More ambience tracks suited to a particular kind of maintenance would obviously be apreciated.
JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #34281

This may interest everyone. It is a piratepad blergfest of ideas for music tracks as inspiration for original compositions for an official SS13 score.
http://piratepad.net/ep/pad/view/V5SEbb8K8t/rev.5921 (this revision specifically because it still retains authorship colors which is important to find out who is saying what)
Thanks to MrPerson for still having a link to the piratepad of piratepads
I lurk quite often...
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #34291

Are you talking about in game music now? Or just lobby music?
JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #34304

Either/or, mostly in-game music.
I lurk quite often...
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #34308

In game music would be interesting. What circumstances would it play in? Just as background music? Special music for when you're a traitor even?

Cause that sounds awesome as hell.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #34367

I'm not real good at music...
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #34400

Reimoo wrote:In game music would be interesting. What circumstances would it play in? Just as background music? Special music for when you're a traitor even?

Cause that sounds awesome as hell.
FTL soundtrack
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #34432

JJRcop wrote:This may interest everyone. It is a piratepad blergfest of ideas for music tracks as inspiration for original compositions for an official SS13 score.
http://piratepad.net/ep/pad/view/V5SEbb8K8t/rev.5921 (this revision specifically because it still retains authorship colors which is important to find out who is saying what)
Thanks to MrPerson for still having a link to the piratepad of piratepads
That pad is 80% just me and Pete going "Hey this song is great, right?"

I miss Pete now.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #37987

Sorry to be bumping a dying thread here. But i came up with some new sounds.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1665

In this thread some one suggested playing a sound when you get your antag notification. While it looks like they aren't going to do the delay for antag distribution i still thought it'd be a fun exercise.

Here are the ideas i came up with:

Traitor Notification: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... ixdown.wav

Changling Notification: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... ixdown.wav

Cultist Notification: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... ixdown.wav

I didn't work any others because i either couldn't think of something at the moment or couldn't find a decent sound effect. Comments and critique are encouraged.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #37990

Wow. These are amazing.

I will say though, the traitor notification needs something added to it. More percussion perhaps?
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #38094

Pretty cool, but they last too long.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #38140

Give eswords a pfffff pweeee sound
The future is horrible!
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #38158

Ezel wrote:Give eswords a pfffff pweeee sound
... they.... already do?

EDIT: IT IS DONE https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... Esword.wav
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #38266

Cuboos wrote:
Ezel wrote:Give eswords a pfffff pweeee sound
... they.... already do?

EDIT: IT IS DONE https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... Esword.wav
Merge he plox. Also traitor needs more DUN DUN DUUN!
Jk, those notifications are excellent, hope they (or some version of them) get added.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #38378

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... xdown2.wav

Edit to the Traitor alert. added a "Number station" sound found on Freesounds
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #38405

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39011

Cuboos wrote:a beepsky voice revamp i proposed to #coderbus, i figured i might run it by the rest of you first before i made a pull request.
Ehhhh... maybe for the EDs, but beepsky sounds fine. These are kind of grating.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #39076

Didn't spies in Civilization 2 make a similar wood block sound when they were successful? This is perfect.

I feel like the malf sound should have a reference to HAL9000 *shrug* Might be low hanging fruit though.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #42010

>look away from thread for a month
>lots of new awesome sounds
these are great, i'll implement them after the freeze