factorio/big pharma/literally roblox tycoon BUT its in CARGO [now with a SICK poll]

A place to record your ideas for the game.

should the product be crates or action figures?

crates
45%
action figures
55%

Total votes: 22

MrDoomBringer
Byond Username: MrDoomBringer

factorio/big pharma/literally roblox tycoon BUT its in CARGO [now with a SICK poll]

Post by MrDoomBringer » #380457

tldr roblox tycoon but spess. waddya think(if it fit's the game's direction, if there are noticeable issues, etc)
if youve played any of the games mentioned in the topic this will hopefully make more sense
[youtube]gg1vxW78bjw[/youtube]
current issue:
  • no good way to get decent credits without relying on other departments
    • selling plasma is wholly reliant on miners; cargo gets no reward for doing well and no consequence for not doing their job past loading crates in the first 2 mins of round
  • cargo tech is often considered the first job a player should take, but it can be boring as fuck unless they decide to do a gimmick (ie barcargo, singulocargo, guncargo) (new players need direction!)
    • techs don't really have something to actually "do" (doesn't take more than one person to man the console/take requests) other than "steal shit to make money" even though selling plasma is easier. as such, cargotechs will often fuck off and just tide around the station
    • there is nothing really worth spending money on other than guns/meme items, once you get past fulfilling any requests the station has (which in a typical round never really exceeds 10K credits worth of stuff total)
  • stocks are handy, but only one person can do them, they're only good for passive point generation, they're clumsy for new players, and they're boring
  • cargo has an asston of space that isn't really used
    • i mean it only ever gets used if you buy a fuckton of shit but that isn't really feasible now that techdisk exports are gone
  • i could probably write more but you get it
the solution
we
  • use up cargos space
  • give cargotechs something to do
  • give something to spend excess points on that isnt guns/meme items
  • and most importantly, give cargo a decent/intuitive way to make credits that is reliant on their own ability rather than other department roles.
wiiith roblox tycoon!

fuck get to the point:
ive been coding a system that would rely pretty heavily on cargo's conveyor belts and buy-able machines that can be used to create crates that can be sold.

Cargo would be able to import tiny crates or something(from a portal or some shit) which they can then upgrade and sell at a profit
  • ratios such as, say, two tiny crates -> one big crate can be used to promote big factory designs focused on efficiency
    • a cargo tech might think: "we get 1 small crate every 5 seconds, and this machine takes 3 crates and 10 seconds to combine them into a larger, more profitable crate"
  • things like the input rate of tiny crates/sec could be upgraded with research or just randomized per round to prevent a single perfect factory design working every round
    • note: input rate cant be too high cus byond is ass with object creation/deletion
  • crates could potentially be upgraded into department crates (eg sec crates), where demand for these specific crates changes according to stock market
    • example: stock market says ResearchCorp's prices are goin way up; that means we should combine plasma + crates (with a dedicated combiner machine) to form science crates, which will sell for much more than regular crates!
codewise, I am reasonably (naively?) confident in my abilities to make this happen, just looking at the idea it doesn't seem too hard too implement
  • the major issue would probably be balance/making sure byond doesnt shit the bed with object creation
i started doing some codersprites then realized i should probably run this past the forums first to make sure this idea wasnt fucking hairbrained:

so yeah waddya think
Last edited by MrDoomBringer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: factorio/big pharma/literally roblox tycoon BUT its in CARGO

Post by D&B » #380474

Sounds lfun
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #380476

Hail Cargonia
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #380497

Instead of crates, make it something like the action figure toys that you can get from the arcade machines. The idea of Nanotrasen having top-secret research facilities producing gift shop figurines on the side for extra profit is pretty amusing.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #380505

implementing factory schemes in SS13 was whole point of circuitry.So I massively approve these ideas.But not this version of their realisation.What do I suggest:
1.Port sorting conveyors from Liberty Last Army. If it still possible.There is very powerful mechanics for crate management.
2.make industrial lathes. Machines, which gets resources (like glass/metal) from conveyor and produce some choosed big structure.Like cannisters, crates, other shit.
3.Rework slightly recyclers. Make them to be able to process logs of tower/steel caps to metal rods/planks.Also let them work like industrial gibbers for monkeys/other mobs.
4.Make ore smelter (like lavaland one) to be constructable.
5.Help me to implement NTnet interfaces into diferent machines to make them controllable by circuits.
6.Help to add hands and tool use into circuits.
7.add reagent pipes. To allow work of chemical part of factory.
8.make conveyors to be controlled with circuits/signallers.

For your information, some kind of factory could be already implemented.
2 drones to grow these logs. 2 drones to throw them at disposal bin.And these disposal pipe down there to send these logs in cargo right on conveyor into shuttle.
Hatfish
Byond Username: Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #380541

If you make it consume plastic to create the toys/crates/whatever we can finally have a use for that as well beyond filling central primary hallway with plastic flaps.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #380558

Selea wrote:words and images
Do we really need more ways to spam identical copies of items?
Selea

Post by Selea » #380561

and ways to sell them as well.Or use them another way.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Re: factorio/big pharma/literally roblox tycoon BUT its in CARGO [now with a SICK poll]

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #380726

MrDoomBringer wrote:no consequence for not doing their job past loading crates in the first 2 mins of round
You've hit the nail on the head for every job in this game.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Re: factorio/big pharma/literally roblox tycoon BUT its in CARGO [now with a SICK poll]

Post by SpaceInaba » #380759

as somebody who's recently taken a liking to quartermaster (and plays a lot of factorio) this is the best cargo point generation idea I've ever seen
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #381024

Yes please, I remember making autism belt arrays that would load/unload the shuttle without needing more input than a lever pull from me, making it be a legit thing and not a timesink for little benefit more than bragging rights would be very satisfying!
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #381025

fund it
Buggy
Byond Username: Buggy1234

Post by Buggy » #381845

>Not making the mover a Inserter
>Not making assemblers a box that you have to put stuff in/pull out of with Inserters

SHAME.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #381850

Why not do this:

Every round has 5 contracts of varying complexity with related reward levels
Each contract is a reward for a crate containing a specific set of items inside, then tagged with appropriate documentation
Make machines that can automatically produce items in these lists, which require certain materials, which can be generated or use ores, and insert them into crates.

Boom factorio fun times
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
MrDoomBringer
Byond Username: MrDoomBringer

Post by MrDoomBringer » #381899

Buggy, i was thinking of that, but got worried about space requirements. Some of the machines will def need movers, though. i guess the name was temporary, yeah why not call em inserters
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #381905

I will wait warmly for this PR
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Selea

Post by Selea » #381908

PM me in discord(selea#8026).I want to help you.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #402439

bumping because I can
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #402485

the product should be hats

still
>no good way to get decent credits without relying on other departments
that's the way it's supposed to be
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #404854

I think sticky had the best idea. That would be super fun.

I also like seleas industrial auto lathe idea because I could produce cleanbots about 2000% more efficiently if the auto lathe just popped out buckets endlessly.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Jordb3
Byond Username: Jordb3

Post by Jordb3 » #405248

If this gets implemented, would it be possible to expand what you can manufacture to include goods from other departments?

Botany: Package/Jar fruits and vegetables (value increases with potency and maybe variety), package animal produce such as milk and eggs
Science: A bunch of xeno slime cores (value increases with variety of colours), boxing finished borg shells (like a toy)
Medical: A machine that takes in plastic and chems in liquid form and outputs sellable pill bottles (value increases depending on the chem).