Bows 2.0 [Hardlight Bows 2.0 too]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Bows 2.0 [Hardlight Bows 2.0 too]

Post by kevinz000 » #384343

I'm exhausted so I'm not going to bother with formatting this post properly but here's the gist:
I'm readding bows but with more mechanics! Already half coded and such, just finalizing structure.
Need ideas on where they'll be put, because ashwalkers getting them would be a bit op.
1. draw/charge system: Hold down mouse button to draw/charge it, power, speed, range, etc are dependent/scaled based on charge when releasing. There will be a minimum charge before releasing too. Planned to be able to cancel draw by using in hand or pressing Z or something. Old system was a binary use-in-hand can-can-not fire, this allows for more skill based gameplay. If you're clear of close range threats, for example, you could go to full draw, but if you're trying to take a potshot at someone chasing you you'll probably not have time to draw fully.
2. Slight forward zoom in the direction you're aiming, beam rifle style, only it doesn't actually make your view bigger. This is honestly more concerning for me to balance due to how powerful view range is, which is also why currently only syndicate/endgame items can give you zoom.
3. Support for different arrows - coefficients/scaling variables for #1 will be on the arrow/casing object, not the gun, so you could add armor piercing arrows that have a lower drawing speed, for example. Currently non default types not implemented, need ideas.
4. The ability for heavy arrows to pin people who are next to walls to them?! Not implemented yet...
5. Possibility of arrow embeds.

Now for the more fun section
6. Hardlight bows are reintroduced!
7. Use archer's gloves while holding a bow to synthesize and insert an energy arrow. Unlike last time, you can't toss em everywhere, they won't last long if you drop them and won't be a viable throwing weapon!
8. Different arrow types of these, just like for normal bows?!
9. Possibly a prototype version of these for security? Could always make these energy instead of ballistic or fully reflectable by deswords/eshields
10. 14-20TC item for nukeops: Hardlight Assault Longbows, 2-3 tile zooming unlike the rest which have nearly no zooming, 2 second draw time, 45 damage at full draw, pins people to walls, otherwise knockbacks/embeds (normal damage will be lowered if embedding). Insulated energy archer gloves that can generate an arrow every few seconds, with a small charge buffer?
11. All hardlight arrows are planned to include trail effects for visual goodness! Pshoom!
12. Some hardlight bow varients can collapsed for backpack carry.

EDIT: And no hardlight bows won't bug out and turn into immovable rod launchers this time!I promise!
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Re: Bows 2.0 [Hardlight Bows 2.0 too]

Post by SpaceInaba » #384344

hype
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #384345

Maybe better immovable rod launcher?

Bow could be interesting like ghetto weapon. You should be able to craft it from bones/wood and wire. Possibly from another materials. Bowcrafting could be interesting mechanic. Like every other makeshift weapon.
Also crossbows are welcome too this way.
Ash liggers will say you big thanks for this thing.

Besides ghetto/crafting part, why even bow should be around high tech?
Last edited by Selea on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatterhat
Byond Username: Hatterhat

Post by Hatterhat » #384346

nice, fund it
Hi, I'm Harold Robinson. I shitpost verbally and textually. God has forsaken me.
Spoiler:
can i get a fucking uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #384347

Will It still have perma bounce/hitting?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #384360

any chance of adding a makeshift crossbow that other codebases have?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #384362

Will it be bannable to use due to how bugged it is
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #384470

Megafauna killers, my favorite
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #384761

Cobby wrote:Megafauna killers, my favorite
will have a bit of slowdown while drawing so they can't be used to cheese pve as hard.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #385017

How many additional fingers and/or macros I will need to have to become proficient in archery?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #385080

Lumbermancer wrote:How many additional fingers and/or macros I will need to have to become proficient in archery?
If you can use the bolt action rifle properly you can use this properly
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #386195

I don't think it really shouldn't have any zooming. I get your reasoning for it, but the fact that spessmen can't look more than 3 meters in front of them is a big part of the game and has its own logic to it, and we shouldn't make exceptions for things that don't warrant it. Heck, the ion rifle has a giant scope on it, and you can't even zoom forwards with that, let alone smaller guns like our various kind of rifles.

Otherwise sounds fun and will be interesting.

(Shouldn't you be finishing your other projects first though?)
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #386330

I used to be a security officer like you until i took an arrow to the knee
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #386331

Arrow to the knee meme is 7 years old now. Time really does fly!
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Selea

Post by Selea » #386784

I suggest to make hardlight bows so glitchy,that you will be banned if you shoot with them.
But you should be able to strangle with holographic string.

Bugfeatures, you know.If with your features you don't need bugs and your bugs is features, you are wtiting a legendary good code.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #387019

Selea wrote:I suggest to make hardlight bows so glitchy,that you will be banned if you shoot with them.
But you should be able to strangle with holographic string.

Bugfeatures, you know.If with your features you don't need bugs and your bugs is features, you are wtiting a legendary good code.
The first version was literally that.

I got banned for shooting it near science and the bullet somehow appearing and bouncing in the shuttle cockpit killing three people.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Selea

Post by Selea » #387068

so let's just return it!
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #387114

repukan shot jfk, it's confirmed
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #388623

Some suggestions for bows and arrows

Scrap Bow:
The scrap bow is a bow which anyone can make from station equipment such as pipes and cloth. At most fully charged it would do 15-20 Brute and only travel five tiles.

Bone Bow:
Bone bow is a bow for Lavaland creatures such as lavawalkers. It requires bones and whatever comes out of Watchers. At most it does 25 damage but travels 8 tiles.

Assassin Bow:
This bow is available to traitors if they buy the neck wire. With the neck wire and other resources, they can craft a special bow which does around 30 brute charged and travels 10 tiles

Ability to tip arrows into reagents to apply 3u of the reagent to it. Attacking someone with this arrow will apply the reagent.
Reagent arrows: These arrows have capsules at the tip, and whilst they do less brute damage they can hold up to 10u of any reagent.