Machine fabricator.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Machine fabricator.

Post by Selea » #387181

Since machine construction isn't very popular now, I suggest to make 3x3 machine, which can print from scratch any machine, which can be relocated.
So if you want some new machine, you need turn on conveyor ,insert all needed resources and select which parts you want to use and desired type of machine.It will print this machine up to last stage of construction(when you need only use screwdriver to finish)and put it on conveyor.Then you can pull this machine wherever you want, secure it with wrench and finish it.Also this way more types of machines should be moveable.Like consoles, lathes and vending machines.
Maybe, to make it more interesting, all parts, except wires, glass and frame should be printed on separate fabricator and delivered to assembly unit by conveyor.So we can proudly call room with this machinery "machine assembly line".

P.S.Department, which will be responsible for machine construction should get also BRPED.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Machine fabricator.

Post by cedarbridge » #387190

Machine construction isn't unpopular because its a problem to do. Its unpopular because we've trended to stocking every map with everything a department could possibly want leaving no natural room for improvement. Its not that construction as a process is the issue. Its simply that there are very few machines worth building that aren't already prebuilt in optimal numbers.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #387215

I do agree that machine building is a pretty tedious process, just like virtually all construction or repairs. It would be nice if construction could be made more of a thing.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #387250

cedarbridge wrote:Machine construction isn't unpopular because its a problem to do. Its unpopular because we've trended to stocking every map with everything a department could possibly want leaving no natural room for improvement. Its not that construction as a process is the issue. Its simply that there are very few machines worth building that aren't already prebuilt in optimal numbers.
Not every map - Its just that the maps that arent full of free stuff and useful machines are universally hated and then removed.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #388923

Slignerd wrote:I do agree that machine building is a pretty tedious process, just like virtually all construction or repairs. It would be nice if construction could be made more of a thing.
Rapid Construction Devices already exist. There's only one on the station as far as I'm aware.
Build wall, build floor, build door, deconstruct, along with many other functions.

Not as good as the Rapid Piping Device, since that thing is a champion.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #388924

There's more than one. It's helpful with walls, windows and doors, but useless with machinery.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #388964

Buffs to two different devices could be useful here:
RCD: Allow it to build wired, anchored machine frames.
RPED and BSRPED: Allow them to store cable coils and glass, or bring back console screens (but allow them to be made from the protolathe as well as autolathe).
Allow them to also finish constructing a machine if after loading the stored parts, the machine's requirements are fulfilled.

With both these tools in hand, you could quickly make machines. Alternatively, you could let the RPEDs take metal for prefabbing wired machine frames, add the circuit board, and apply the RPED again to load and finish a machine. For maximum laziness, the RPEDs could present the user with a list of stored circuits, then attempt to build that machine after a short delay.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #388990

what if we took out the game and just made it so you got greentexted if you were an antag as soon as you joined and then had to wait 50 minutes for the next round
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #389047

Something like a machine prefabrication kit that an engineer could make to send to another department, where they deploy the machine there would be neat. Put together all of the components in engineering since the manufacturing facilities are there, then send a kit to whoever needs it.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #389060

You mean like those nanosheets mechanics get in other servers that only require deployment or so?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #389330

gate it behind techwebs :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current