give traitors some free items

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

give traitors some free items

Post by Bluespace » #391746

nothing spectacular, just a few staples of the traitor gamemode.
maybe give them a free agent card and syndicate key.
they wouldn't spawn in inv by default, you'd pick them out of a free category in the uplink, so you can get them when you're ready.

i've always felt like the uplink should be used for buying more dangerous and lethal items, rather than the stealthy and roleplay items costing tc.
I play Boris Pepper.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Re: give traitors some free items

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #391749

Yes because giving lone antagonists a free reliably secure communication is why ling is the best game mode, right?

Man I sure would love playing AI a lot more when all the people with the free license to murderbone are able to get a free item that makes them impossible to track.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #391752

Most stealth stuff is already dirt cheap.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #391763

I think, syndicate key, baloons and cards should be free.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #391767

Agent cards are far too good to be free

They're reforge-able, can steal access, make you invisible to the AI's track function and securitrons/ED209's + non-AI turrets ignore people wearing them.

Combine with a chameleon kit and you have a reliable way of making yourself undetectable. At 2 TCs, they're massively underpriced tbh.

They also have much higher throwforce and an embed chance, comparable to a throwing star.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #391781

Yeah lemme just wedge my access card right into the HoS' skull and leave myself stranded without any way to get out when it doesn't fall off of him or he just picks it up after it comes out

What a strange feature
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #391806

Shaps-cloud wrote:Yeah lemme just wedge my access card right into the HoS' skull and leave myself stranded without any way to get out when it doesn't fall off of him or he just picks it up after it comes out

What a strange feature
It's more of something to use if you're desperate. if the IDs were free, there'd be no reason to buy the throwable weapons equipment as agent IDs would fulfil that role and many others for zero cost
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #391821

Anonmare wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:Yeah lemme just wedge my access card right into the HoS' skull and leave myself stranded without any way to get out when it doesn't fall off of him or he just picks it up after it comes out

What a strange feature
It's more of something to use if you're desperate. if the IDs were free, there'd be no reason to buy the throwable weapons equipment as agent IDs would fulfil that role and many others for zero cost
only one agent card is free
I play Boris Pepper.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #391866

I could MAYBE see a case for making syndicate keys free, but other than that, absolutely not
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #391868

CosmicScientist wrote:
Anonmare wrote:non-AI turrets ignore people wearing them.
So any turrets not at roundstart or do you need to turn off the AI control in construction?
The turrets in the AI Upload and AI sat are faction turrets and will always shoot anyone not in their faction ("silicon").

Turrets the crew makes are not faction affiliated and can be set to target silicons, these turrets will ignore anyone wearing an agent ID as they perceive them as a lower threat than they actually are.

Turrets function very similarly to beepsky and will assign anyone they see a threat level according to their parameters, an agent ID will loophole several of those parameters. Such as the check weapons parameter which checks if you're wearing an ID with weapons authorisation or a syndicate ID card, if you have it either - it'll return 0 on that check, if you don't it adds 4 threat levels if you're holding the weapon in your hand, and 2 threat levels if the weapon is visible (on your belt for example) but not held.

The anomaly check will have the turret shoot simple_mobs not in the turret faction, Xenomorphs, Syndicate and emagged cyborgs.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #391934

Traitors don't need free stealth comms, if you want to have the chance of teaming up with other antags, you should have to pay TC for it. Lings can already team up and make anywhere essentially a deathtrap where they decide to bait people, moreso because you can't tell if someone is a ling until they bring their armblade out. Add that to free healing and adrenals and xray vision and then put three of them in there and it's not a fun time for anyone to fight.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #391944

This suggustion reads like someone noticed everyone hates how lings are much more powerful then standard traitors and decided to correct it in the worst way possible.
No traitor buffs plz
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #391951

If we dont want traitors having free comms why the hell do we let changelings have free comms when they are stronger than traitors.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #391961

EagleWiz wrote:This suggustion reads like someone noticed everyone hates how lings are much more powerful then standard traitors and decided to correct it in the worst way possible.
No traitor buffs plz
Dr_bee wrote:If we dont want traitors having free comms why the hell do we let changelings have free comms when they are stronger than traitors.
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #391970

Let's make being a non-antag an even more miserable experience by turning traitors into changelings 0.75.
Or alternatively,
Let's have Romerol memes every fucking traitor round because now the item priced around requiring extreme luck or tentative teamwork is much easier to work with.
How about no?
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
Selea

Post by Selea » #391981

It would be logical if we give free comms to traitors and remove free comms from changelings.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #391982

Changelings have free permanent silent hive mind and don’t even cooperate that often.
Giving traitors a free headset (WHICH CAN BE HIJACKED BY ANY MEMBER OF SECURITY AT ANY TIME) seems like it’d encourage more roundstart communication as to traitor plans, then most likely silence, because it’s easy to listen in on the traitor channel.
I play Boris Pepper.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #391996

Luke Cox wrote:I could MAYBE see a case for making syndicate keys free, but other than that, absolutely not
Ling hive chat is already cancer, and you want to extend it to traitors? If you want easy mode coop, shell our for a key. Or for the love of god use keywords.
Bluespace wrote:Changelings have free permanent silent hive mind and don’t even cooperate that often.
They do every time, when I'm also ling. But then I also kill them all by cooperating with Captain or security.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #391999

Selea wrote:I think, syndicate key, baloons and cards should be free.
Key and cards have been discussed, as for balloons the whole fucking point is that they eat all your TCs and paint a big red "VALID" target on you so you can brag about having greentexted with it.
Lumbermancer wrote:They do every time, when I'm also ling. But then I also kill them all by cooperating with Captain or security.
Also, you're cancer if you're betraying successful stealthlings.
Oh, wait. Everyone here murderbones with a hidden autocloner just in case.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Selea

Post by Selea » #392000

key--discussion isn't over.
cards--I mean playing cards.
baloons just too cute.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #392113

I was just thinking the same thing the other day, giving free keys. It'd help teamplay so so so much instead of a desword asshole killing every other traitor blindly, since code words don't do shit. Also with how lings get silent comms, it's still balanced.

There is a risk of security power gaming and screwdrivering every other person's headset, however.

Also I came up with the 40 TC surplus crate idea and I want it bought more often dang it
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392115

That's what we need, more team deathmatch.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #392126

Lumbermancer wrote:That's what we need, more team deathmatch.
If a traitor can kill 25 players, he gets the nuke codes and can activate the station self destruct to kill everyone.

Unless you're some nerd who gets 22 kills and uses the emp killstreak for some reason wtf

oh, also, don't forget the deathstreaks. A good example would be if you were killed and cloned four times then you drop a primed syndicate minibomb when you die.

In all seriousness, free items wouldn't be good and there would be massive metagaming if traitors got syndicate keys. If the solution to that is something where it basically turns them into shittier lings then that's lazy and traitor may aswell just be replaced with nuke ops.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #392150

Half of the traitors would probably turn on each other to steal gear. I sincerely doubt there'd be a team deathmatch scenario. Would also make double agent rounds rather interesting.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392168

Luke Cox wrote:Half of the traitors would probably turn on each other to steal gear. I sincerely doubt there'd be a team deathmatch scenario. Would also make double agent rounds rather interesting.
DA hasn't existed for many moons.