bring back the singularity

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

bring back the singularity

Post by Poorman » #392001

please

i'm sick of braindead morons who can't manage the engine blowing half the station up every other round

the singularity felt actually interactive when it got out of control, it dynamically effected the round more then just 'big explosion' and turned the game into a battle for survival, it was far more interesting

the SM is shit, bring back the REAL station powerhouse
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: bring back the singularity

Post by CPTANT » #392002

Poorman wrote:please

i'm sick of braindead morons who can't manage the engine blowing half the station up every other round

the singularity felt actually interactive when it got out of control, it dynamically effected the round more then just 'big explosion' and turned the game into a battle for survival, it was far more interesting

Fuck no, the singularity failed 10 times as often as the supermatter.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392003

CPTANT wrote:
Poorman wrote:please

Fuck no, the singularity failed 10 times as often as the supermatter.
lmao look at this pussy
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392004

aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #392005

>singularity

>interactive

Pick one.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392006

Back in my day the singularity didn't get loose every other round because engineering had to git gud. Back in my day CEs who fucked it up ate a roleban. Back in my day the damn thing escaping was memorable and so was scrambling to get the fuck away from it.
Last edited by DemonFiren on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392007

The lizard is right.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392016

DemonFiren wrote:Back in my day the singularity didn't get loose every other round because engineering had to git gud. Back in my day CEs who fucked it up ate a roleban. Back in my day the damn thing escaping was memorable and so was scrambling to get the fuck away from it.
Sabotaging the singularity was always piss easy because all it ever took was snipping 2 wires and zero counterplay was possible.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392017

Anyway what if we just let the Supermatter always spawn a sing/tesla if it fails?

The current supermatter failing system is kinda weird and usually it just explodes.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392020

CPTANT wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Back in my day the singularity didn't get loose every other round because engineering had to git gud. Back in my day CEs who fucked it up ate a roleban. Back in my day the damn thing escaping was memorable and so was scrambling to get the fuck away from it.
Sabotaging the singularity was always piss easy because all it ever took was snipping 2 wires and zero counterplay was possible.
How about periodically checking on Engineering like an engineer is supposed to?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #392029

DemonFiren wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Person who does not play game at all complaining that the people who do play dont want to spend 50 minutes repeating the same engine check every 3.

Nevermind it was often an engineer who was releasing it.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392041

CPTANT wrote:
Many suggestions were suggested to make the singularity more safe.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #392049

How about we put some effort into engine setup instead of wanting it easier and yet still easier to destroy the st-
Oh
Wait
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392063

Kor wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Person who does not play game at all complaining that the people who do play dont want to spend 50 minutes repeating the same engine check every 3.

Nevermind it was often an engineer who was releasing it.
Bitch, I play.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #392067

i'll admit that it was fun to occasionally run the fuck away from the giant black hole eating everything and to try and save people in the ruins

the keyword is occasionally
Limey wrote:its too late.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #392077

Qbopper wrote:i'll admit that it was fun to occasionally run the fuck away from the giant black hole eating everything and to try and save people in the ruins

the keyword is occasionally
If the singularity was smaller, and ate maybe a 5x5 tile area at max when it was released, I'd be happy with that. If it manages to consume something, like a super matter crystal, or maybe a bluespace crystal, something to keep away from the singularity, making it grow to the massive size we all know and love would be fun. Even just having the singularity required to eat a lot more to grow to the massive sizes would be nice.

The purpose of making it smaller would be that engineering could actually manage to keep the station in one piece, people would have the fun of running from the singularity, and there would be the consistent escalation.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #392080

CPTANT wrote:
Next you'll tell me again how easy it is to get the supermatter to delaminate into a singulo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #392084

PKPenguin321 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Next you'll tell me again how easy it is to get the supermatter to delaminate into a singulo
It really is though, 90% of engies practically gift-wrap it by putting the vents on Internal, 0. All you have to do then is put literally any gas (even N2) in the thing and turn off the output and let their own stupidity do the rest. Almost everyone I've met is too dumb to figure out you need to take it off that setting to stop the delam and then it makes an SM singulo.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #392086

Alright, which one of you last touched the Supermatter guide because I got curious and checked the wiki and someone has been telling the newbies to put it one step away from making a singulo
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #392095

Just make the SM spawn a singulo instead of just explode. No-one ever fixes the hole left from a SM explosion anyway, and at least a singulo is fun to watch for ghosts.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392112

DemonFiren wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
It takes like a minute or so for an unpowered containment field to lose power..... Saying "check on it periodically" is just nonsense with how little time it takes to release the sing. What do you think is a reasonable amount of times for an engineer to check the sing in a round? 5 times? 10 times? Even if you check it 10 times in a round the odds are still vastly in favour of the sing releasing anyway.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #392179

Back in the day the singularity only moved one tile each tick, pulled objects one step toward it each tick, and consumed whatever happened to be occupying it each tick.
It was a far cry from current singularity, which is much more dangerous even without considering that it dismantled walls and floors in a gigantic radius around it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #392211

>engine keeps getting fucked up by incompetent techs.
>your solution to this is to add back the version of the engine that fucked the entire station when it was fucked up

???
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392232

it's an easier engine to run
it only needs to be made harder to fuck up
and consistent failures need to be removed from engineering roles

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392236

DemonFiren wrote:and consistent failures need to be removed from engineering roles
We can't ban everyone who plays engineering so that's unlikely to happen.

More seriously, failure is an intended result of everything on the station. Its what drives the players to do more than fire and forget.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392239

note: consistent
people who fuck up setting up the engine, whatever engine it is but especially a relatively easily set up one like the singulo, every round for three, four, five rounds straight either can't follow instructions or are deliberately sabotaging shit

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392256

DemonFiren wrote:it's an easier engine to run
it only needs to be made harder to fuck up
and consistent failures need to be removed from engineering roles
What's hard about pumping some nitrogen through a cooling loop?
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #392266

>it's an easier engine to run

For SME you just unga bunga wrench canister, set air alarm and max out pumps, even the filters are preset to N2 and the canisters are right on top of the ports.
No having to go to space, zero risk of fucking up and getting pulled into the energy barrier or having EMP ruin your day.

Even when it fails, in 99% of all cases it's just a maxcaps that takes out engineering. Then it's 10 minutes of nothing until the shuttle arrives zzzzz
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #392268

The problem with the SM is that the base setup makes enough power. There's no need for experimentation or cooler setups.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392270

BeeSting12 wrote:The problem with the SM is that the base setup makes enough power. There's no need for experimentation or cooler setups.
This is the problem with literally all engines....
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #392280

CPTANT wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:The problem with the SM is that the base setup makes enough power. There's no need for experimentation or cooler setups.
Yes but the SM was added on the premise that it will be more interesting to set up or whatever because theres so many variations on how you can do it but noone does that they just wrench the nitrogen canisters and call it good.

anyway it feels weird knowing that there's people that will play ss13 without seeing the singularity as a roundstart engine except on a few maps and even then theyll see it as a novelty or an annoyance similar to how people that werent nerds looked at birdboat's SM.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #392332

BeeSting12 wrote: Yes but the SM was added on the premise that it will be more interesting to set up or whatever because theres so many variations on how you can do it but noone does that they just wrench the nitrogen canisters and call it good.

anyway it feels weird knowing that there's people that will play ss13 without seeing the singularity as a roundstart engine except on a few maps and even then theyll see it as a novelty or an annoyance similar to how people that werent nerds looked at birdboat's SM.
I, as CE, like to run the SM with additional N2 from atmos, which isn't the typical set up. It makes it really difficult to delaminate, it's also a quick fix if it does start delaminating. I also add a breach shield in space just incase someone tries to mess with the cooling loop out there. It's obvious when someone does. With a rapid construction device, you could even block it off entirely.

The SM is full of room for sabotage too, it could be as simple as damaging the loop, turning off a few pumps, or as complex as leaving everything on, but letting oxygen and plasma stay in the loop, removing N2. Even making the loop appear untouched is interesting. It's fun because while you're trying to 'fix' the engine, people could be making it right, and you could be 'accidentally' making it worse. When it blows up there's no evidence of your wrong doing, and it shows that you put an effort in fixing it. If you do it well enough, atmos and part of the dorms could go down too.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #392348

BeeSting12 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Yes but the SM was added on the premise that it will be more interesting to set up or whatever because theres so many variations on how you can do it but noone does that they just wrench the nitrogen canisters and call it good.

I was going to suggest making the base setup only have enough power to just supply the entire station with maybe the occasional brownout/blackout but then I realized that wouldn't be feasible because you'd have to find a way that it that did that for every station and people would just make the wiki article say a setup that runs better anyways

shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392351

I really wish some hero would rewrite power to actually require adequate power supply to each area in a way that requires engineering to produce more than the base minimum power.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392363

Remember back when I warned everyone that the SM was going to be shit and Kor and Swarge shoved it through anyways with no regard for what I had to say?

Sure does feel good to be right as usual.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392370

ShadowDimentio wrote:as usual.
read it with a straight face until then

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392383

I say we split the difference; let engineering starts with all 3 engines locked up in SS. The setup area is only partially laid out though, so you have to pick which engine you want and build the rest yourself (alternatively let the singu eat the other engines and totally not destroy everything). Bam everyone's happy.

As an added bonus, people can build setups for the other two engines elsewhere for style points and so assistants instantly die if they try to hack doors.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392385

ShadowDimentio wrote:Swarge shoved it through
???????????????
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392389

ShadowDimentio wrote:Remember back when I warned everyone that the SM was going to be shit and Kor and Swarge shoved it through anyways with no regard for what I had to say?

It's funny that you actually think you are right.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392390

Kor wrote:
???????????????
You said once Swarge bribed you to merge it, NEVER FORGET
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392392

CPTANT wrote:It's funny that you actually think you are right.
SM sure is fun guys
-Nobody ever
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392397

ShadowDimentio wrote:Remember back when I warned everyone that the SM was going to be shit and Kor and Swarge shoved it through anyways with no regard for what I had to say?

You are very stupid and should not be allowed to communicate with others.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392398

Not an argument
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392399

ShadowDimentio wrote:I say we split the difference; let engineering starts with all 3 engines locked up in SS. The setup area is only partially laid out though, so you have to pick which engine you want and build the rest yourself (alternatively let the singu eat the other engines and totally not destroy everything). Bam everyone's happy.

As an added bonus, people can build setups for the other two engines elsewhere for style points and so assistants instantly die if they try to hack doors.
See above.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392400

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
???????????????
You said once Swarge bribed you to merge it, NEVER FORGET
See above.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392401

ShadowDimentio wrote:
CPTANT wrote:It's funny that you actually think you are right.
SM sure is fun guys
-Nobody ever
See above.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392402

ShadowDimentio wrote:Not an argument
See above.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #392404

I always wonder if shadow is just some AI programmed to spout bad opinions
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392405

captain sawrge wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:I say we split the difference; let engineering starts with all 3 engines locked up in SS. The setup area is only partially laid out though, so you have to pick which engine you want and build the rest yourself (alternatively let the singu eat the other engines and totally not destroy everything). Bam everyone's happy.

See above.
There's unironically nothing wrong with this idea.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392410

Why do we need 3 engines that basically do the same thing (infinite power) but two of those engines have no real variation in setup, a binary fail state (no meltdown/chance to save it, they are out or they are not), and no real room for feature growth.

All it does is complicate the job of whichever poor bastard eventually wants to try and make power matter.