The virgin sting vs the chad absorb (ling ability tree rework)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

The virgin sting vs the chad absorb (ling ability tree rework)

Post by Luke Cox » #398893

No MS paint meme art because I'm fucking lazy

The Virgin Sting Ling
  • Meekly walks around using DNA extract sting to meet genome objectives
  • Cannot function independently, must rely on telepathic hugbox
  • Beta who must take every protective ability possible
  • Uses feeble stings to weaken target; is afraid of confrontation
  • Passively tries to complete objectives
  • Never husks out of fear of being caught
What do
Get rid of the "genetic emporium" entirely. That gay shit is for syndicate agents. Instead, give lings ability trees styled after techwebs. 3 linear paths to keep it simple. They get a few points to start out and maybe a free powerful ability (i.e. they get to choose between armblade, cryo sting, or fleshmend, all mutually exclusive). The idea here is to prevent some of the more broken combinations from being obtainable without nerfing the individual abilities (thus making them unfun) or having some convoluted combination ban system, while enhancing the flavor of lings by making them literally evolve as they progress. The only way to get more points is by fully husking people. Dead people give a small number of points, people in crit a some, and fully conscious people a decent amount. Hive chat is removed too, and absorbing a changeling gives the most points. Turning on your fellow lings isn't just easier, it's encouraged. Also DNA sting is gone, because it's for pussies.

With those changes, we'll have

The Chad Absorb Ling
  • Is the living reincarnation of Sun Tzu, making tactical ability purchases according to the situation
  • Robusts people through pure skill alone using highly specialized ability loadouts
  • Independent apex predator who hunts down and kills ling peers, not dead greyshirts like some beta cuck
  • Loudly and confidently pursues objectives; does not hide from security
  • Does not need 50 million defensive abilities, relies on knowledge and foresight
  • Husks prey alive and conscious as they scream for help, like a true alpha

Edit: PK had a similar but simpler idea that could also work
PKPenguin321 wrote:Much simpler idea

Three categories of ling abilities, Combat, Stealth, and Regenerative

If take an ability from any category, all abilities in any other categories go up in price by 1
So if you take armblade, armor, shield, screech, etc (all combat abilities), it costs what it usually does, but if you try to take armblade, fleshmend, biodegrade (a combat, regenerative, and stealth ability), you're now down 2 more points than you'd usually be. This encourages specialization and makes it so mixing all the optimal powers and getting the best of every world isn't really doable.
Edit 2: Preliminary tree idea, vaguely in order of unlock

Beginning: Armblade, Cryo Sting, or Fleshmend (choose 1, mutually exclusive abilities)

Combat
Resonant Shriek
Hallucination Sting
Dissonant Shriek
Strained Muscles
Resonant Shriek
Tentacle

Stealth

Mimic Voice
Digital Camoflage
Mute Sting
Augmented Eyesight
Blind Sting
False Armblade Sting
Lesser Form
Transformation Sting

Healing
Regenerate
Anatomic Panacea
Organic Shield
Organic Space Suit
Chitinous armor
Last Resort
Adrenal Sacs
Last edited by Luke Cox on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: The virgin sting vs the chad absorb (ling ability tree rework)

Post by kevinz000 » #398897

Or we can not encourage murderbone
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #398904

I hate the chad/virgin meme with every fibre of my being and thus disapprove of your idea even though changeling is utter cancer
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #398907

Luke Cox wrote:Loudly and confidently pursues objectives; does not hide from security
kevinz000 wrote:Or we can not encourage murderbone
Ling should be all about stealth.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #398919

Lumbermancer wrote:Ling should be all about stealth.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #398923

Just remove changelings already.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #398929

update your sig, ligga

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #398972

kevinz000 wrote:antags kill people REEEEEEEE
The current setup encourages murderbone a hell of a lot more than this. Lings will be a lot easier for everyone if they have to earn their abilities rather than have them all dumped on them at once.
Lumbermancer wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Loudly and confidently pursues objectives; does not hide from security
Ling should be all about stealth.
And they are now? They'd have a skill tree devoted just to stealth abilities. The idea here is to force them to specialize in one area or another. It's possible to silently abduct people and absorb them, you know.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #398984

So is this an actual rework in the making or are you just throwing ideas at the wall
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #398986

Saegrimr wrote:So is this an actual rework in the making or are you just throwing ideas at the wall
he won't code it pshh

if you guys take too long i'm gonna try not thingling but a new angle to balancing changeling
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #398988

If you force them to specialize in one path, inevitably one playstyle will be favored, probably murderboner cause it's easier. Then you gonna inevitably engage in an arms race, buffing other playstyle to make people play it. It's either full stealth or nothing.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #398999

Antags kill people yes but encouraging mass murder to get a rollercoaster of murderbone powers is dumb as fuck.
If you want your bloodthirst go play revs or something.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #399003

>Thinking stealth antags are possible in 90 player rounds

Lmao
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #399006

D&B wrote:>Thinking stealth antags are possible in 90 player rounds

Lmao
Encouraging a snowball scenario from removing others from the round is bad design too if you don't want ling to just be a deathmatch.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #399009

kevinz000 wrote:
D&B wrote:>Thinking stealth antags are possible in 90 player rounds

Lmao
Encouraging a snowball scenario from removing others from the round is bad design too if you don't want ling to just be a deathmatch.
Every mode we have is a deathmatch, ESPECIALLY ling.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399014

@Saeg: It's like this is some kind of ideas board! I'd rather try to help brainstorm than complain. This is a lot more productive than screeching on the feedback forum to remove ling because I ded pls nerf

@Arm: That would probably be for the best. Trying to make the mode line up with a movie is a bad idea. What did you have in mind?

@Lumber: Some ling's are going to try to murderbone no matter what you do. The goal here is to narrow their ability sets down to give them clear strengths and weaknesses

@Kevin: The most powerful a ling could possibly get under a system like this is still weaker than they are now. If snowballing is a problem, either implement a point cap or make skill costs scale
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #399112

Luke Cox wrote:@Saeg: It's like this is some kind of ideas board! I'd rather try to help brainstorm than complain. This is a lot more productive than screeching on the feedback forum to remove ling because I ded pls nerf

@Arm: That would probably be for the best. Trying to make the mode line up with a movie is a bad idea. What did you have in mind?

@Lumber: Some ling's are going to try to murderbone no matter what you do. The goal here is to narrow their ability sets down to give them clear strengths and weaknesses

@Kevin: The most powerful a ling could possibly get under a system like this is still weaker than they are now. If snowballing is a problem, either implement a point cap or make skill costs scale
woah i posted in this thread? i guess i did, but i lost faith in my rework idea on discord because i was chatting with people smarter than me. anyways if dgl would like to post his ideas itt it'd be great he knows how to get it working right
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399114

Armhulen wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:@Saeg: It's like this is some kind of ideas board! I'd rather try to help brainstorm than complain. This is a lot more productive than screeching on the feedback forum to remove ling because I ded pls nerf

woah i posted in this thread? i guess i did, but i lost faith in my rework idea on discord because i was chatting with people smarter than me. anyways if dgl would like to post his ideas itt it'd be great he knows how to get it working right
PK's idea is pretty simple, and is something we could implement immediately while we try to find a more permanent solution.

Also, I went ahead and updated the OP with an idea of how the trees could go.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #399130

Luke Cox wrote:goal here is to narrow their ability sets down to give them clear strengths and weaknesses
But that's exactly my idea.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399283

Lumbermancer wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:goal here is to narrow their ability sets down to give them clear strengths and weaknesses
But that's exactly my idea.
It sounds like you want lings to focus almost exclusively on stealth though. Going loud should still be an option for lings, but we need to keep them from taking a dozen get out of jail free cards along with all the murderboning abilities one could want. Every other antag has both quiet and loud options (stealth ops and wizards are a thing, even if people don't do them), and it's crucial that any ling rework doesn't railroad it into one playstyle or another.
Darkgenerallord
Byond Username: Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #399343

Despite my best efforts I couldn't get traitorchan removed so instead I'll try to help fix it.

I think we should remove extract DNA, it sort of just tends to make transforming a little too easy, and without removing it I don't understand why the genome objective is still a thing even.

Revival stasis should be nerfed back to where it was pre-timer change. This would be in the range of 40 seconds (now) --> 90 seconds (old).

Other than that, the hivemind is honestly weird. It's free, invisible antag chat. Either make it buy in or remove it entirely, to help cut down on the ling gangs. A way we could keep it but still change it is possibly making each ling have a personal hivemind, and make them have to put people in manually.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #399752

Darkgenerallord wrote:Despite my best efforts I couldn't get traitorchan removed so instead I'll try to help fix it.

I think we should remove extract DNA, it sort of just tends to make transforming a little too easy, and without removing it I don't understand why the genome objective is still a thing even.

Revival stasis should be nerfed back to where it was pre-timer change. This would be in the range of 40 seconds (now) --> 90 seconds (old).

Other than that, the hivemind is honestly weird. It's free, invisible antag chat. Either make it buy in or remove it entirely, to help cut down on the ling gangs. A way we could keep it but still change it is possibly making each ling have a personal hivemind, and make them have to put people in manually.
Extract DNA needs to go back for sure. Like I said, shit is for little bitches. Revival stasis absolutely needs to go back too. I played ling a few days ago and it was quite broken. Why was it ever buffed in the first place?

I know it might be entering "muh conversion" territory, but what if lings had an ability that allowed them to brainwash one or two pepole?
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #400053

Luke Cox wrote: I think we should remove extract DNA, it sort of just tends to make transforming a little too easy, and without removing it I don't understand why the genome objective is still a thing even.
The extract genome objective requires you to get 6-8 genomes. If the extract DNA sting is removed that's a whole lot of murder.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #400281

EagleWiz wrote:
Luke Cox wrote: I think we should remove extract DNA, it sort of just tends to make transforming a little too easy, and without removing it I don't understand why the genome objective is still a thing even.
The extract genome objective requires you to get 6-8 genomes. If the extract DNA sting is removed that's a whole lot of murder.
I'm told that it was lower back in the days of absorb ling. Obviously you'd have to either tweak the number.
ChefOdDish
Byond Username: Roseliachan

Post by ChefOdDish » #400290

Here's a hilariously bad idea. What if we brought back absorbing lings but rather than husking crew it turns them into zombies? Stealth is thrown out the window as the lings rush to absorb living crew before they are all zombified.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #400291

ChefOdDish wrote:Here's a hilariously bad idea. What if we brought back absorbing lings but rather than husking crew it turns them into zombies? Stealth is thrown out the window as the lings rush to absorb living crew before they are all zombified.
sounds genuinely terrible
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ChefOdDish
Byond Username: Roseliachan

Post by ChefOdDish » #400293

I shouldn't be allowed to post
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #400335

Best idea is to just remove ling but I've been saying this for years and it hasnt happened yet