Cut all maps but the most popular one

A place to record your ideas for the game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Cut all maps but the most popular one

Post by oranges » #410940

our feature agility is seriously harmed when you have to do the same boring ass shitty reptitive mapping actions on 7 maps, most of which you'll rarely ever play on.

I am seriously concerned that this is impacting our ability to introduce new features and remap existing departments.

Solution, run a simple STV poll with all the map options on it.

Cut everything but the first place winner (probably meta)

and commit to having a single map again.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Cut all maps but the most popular one

Post by Nabski » #410941

Can we hold at two and a half?

Where the half is some semi-featured station that will most likely be for lowpop anyways?

Why is there not a vote in this post?
Last edited by Nabski on Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #410942

If maps cannot be maintained then I agree they should be brought out of rotation. Though I like having more map diversity if we cannot keep up maintaining them then they will be dropped. I'd be happy to take coderbus advice on this.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410943

there's nothing to vote on, I'm asking for thoughtful opinion only. This doesn't matter in anyway unless key decision makers commit, so it's pointless to have a poll, that would come after.

I don't think a lowpop station has any value, use the primary map as the lowpop with increased access, we rarely have ultra low pop save for new servers, adn they will either get more pop or die.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #410945

This is probably a shitpost, but if it isn't fuck off Oranges. Speaking as someone who played frequently when there was only Box as the map, it was stale as shit. Map rotation is the best feature we've added in years, get fucked if you want to go back to the monotony of only one map.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410947

it's easy to post from that position, but you know what will get way more fucking stale than a single map? A game with no new features added because the cost to feature is too high (Which it is)

Given that you've never done more than shitpost on the forum and github, I wouldnt' expect you to get it.

The reality is nearly all the station maps play almost identically, there is no significant difference between box and meta for example and the reality is that adding new features is a pain when you have to work with dreammakers shitty map software to do 7 different maps, most of which you won't give a fuck about.

Just ask okand, they left mapping here and went to CM because all the maps here feel the same and end up the same.

No point in keeping 7 maps that are pretty much the same with no real unique differences.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #410948

All but the most popular two might be a more popular idea

I agree 7 is a bit much
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410950

the two most popular are going to be meta and box

they are not different in any real sense other than cardinal arrangement, it might feel different but the two maps are functionally identical, hell, most of the time the departments even have the same exact layout and content.

I don't see it being a tradeoff worth costing us actual features and changes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410952

I might accept having more than one map if the maps other than the community map had a dedicated nominated person who was actively mapping it, and when they went away/inactive they have to pass on the torch to someone else, or trigger a community vote to make it the new default map.

There would have to be no complaint about that process and it would need to be clear about how it works and how the process plays

People would only be required to add their feature to the community maintained map.

Repathing/etc would still require the normal ensuring each non community map still compiles at least, to prevent map rot.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410955

and for anyone who doubts me because of my shitposting I am serious about this one.

It's something that's being weighing in the back of my mind for a while now and recent discussions I've had have crystallised my opinion on this.

I know it feels like a step backwards but I think it's going to be much more healthy for the community to take this route.
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #410957

+1
if i have to wonder whether or not i'm on meta or box or delta then something is wrong
if we really want to we can also make an SS13-Maps repository to keep old maps from dying or whatever
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410959

they'll die anyway because the paths rot as we do refactors/improvements, and they're no less retrievable from the git history
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #410960

oranges wrote:The reality is nearly all the station maps play almost identically, there is no significant difference between box and meta for example and the reality is that adding new features is a pain when you have to work with dreammakers shitty map software to do 7 different maps, most of which you won't give a fuck about.
That's because they're all played with the same gamemodes and the same people genius. Their LAYOUTS are different. That's literally the whole point, give a change of scenery for the same things that happen every round. To argue that that's "too much" and "is stifling adding features" is fucking moronic. The maps don't require perfect maintenance, the crew can fill in any gaps themselves.

As to the rest, apparently I need to explain it, I would think that a coder of all fucking people would understand it (though by your own admission you've hardly coded a single large feature), but coders code what they want when they want, though whether it gets merged is a different story, but you're one of the ones guarding that gate.

Also nice job trying to disregard my input because "all I do is shitpost", despite my point being entirely valid you idiot.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410962

your point isn't valid because you've never done a major feature map in your life.

Ask kor how fun it is to do 7 sets of identical pipe and power remappings before you run your mouth about how easy it is actually add things to the maps.

People code things as a combination of
1) would it be accepted
2) how hard is it to actually acheive

having 7 maps that are functionally identically is making the bar of 2 much higher and is RIGHT now getting in the way of people's motivations to change and add features.

This isn't idle speculation, I've had direct concrete feedback to that respect.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #410963

ShadowDimentio wrote:The maps don't require perfect maintenance, the crew can fill in any gaps themselves.
Using techwebs as an example, if we had removed the ability for science to print every item, but only added the department lathes to Box, do you think people on the other maps would be happy when they couldn't make guns at all anymore?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410965

also the real irony is that if we do what shadow recommends then we'd just have players bitching at us about the unmaintained maps until we remove them.

Removing them upfront and instituting a strong maintenance policy about extra maps causes some bitching upfront, but it's easier than eating shit for 7 months until we remove them all anyway.

Also shadow, since you're so strongly in favour of having variety, can I expect you to step up and maintain one of the maps? Perhaps you'd like to maintain box or delta or omega?

Would love to hear from you about that asap.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #410967

Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:The maps don't require perfect maintenance, the crew can fill in any gaps themselves.
/quote]

Using techwebs as an example, if we had removed the ability for science to print every item, but only added the department lathes to Box, do you think people on the other maps would be happy when they couldn't make guns at all anymore?
>Implying they get them now

I joke. But that's an issue easily sidestepped by coding the lathes that had already been dropped into the various maps into the omni-lathes so that construction still works fine until someone drops department lathes into the maps in question. Bam done, mapping crisis resolved with only a minor bit of foresight.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410968

so your solution to people having to jump through hoops to get a feature done is to jump through other hoops instead?

wow great solution, we can just make every single new feature use existing map objects no matter if that will scale or not!
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #410969

I see no reason why we can't utilize the gigantic codebase we have now to recruit people who can map the server. We're literally knee deep in people and we have an extremely large community, I don't see why I can't just help y'all get someone to maintain the maps.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #410970

oranges wrote:so your solution to people having to jump through hoops to get a feature done is to jump through other hoops instead?

wow great solution, we can just make every single new feature use existing map objects no matter if that will scale or not!
>Jump through other hoops

Like having the slightest bit of foresight? Like I'm only a rank amateur coder but my solution would take an absurdly minimal amount of effort and you know it. All you'd have to do is instead of making the regular lathes in science the science lathes you leave them as the omnilathes and create a new, different lathe that's the science lathe.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410971

@citrus
Maybe that's true, but we still need to decide on a policy, to deal with the case that actually we cant' find that many map maintainers
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #410972

remove cere 2018
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410973

ShadowDimentio wrote:
oranges wrote:so your solution to people having to jump through hoops to get a feature done is to jump through other hoops instead?

>Jump through other hoops

Like having the slightest bit of foresight? Like I'm only a rank amateur coder but my solution would take an absurdly minimal amount of effort and you know it. All you'd have to do is instead of making the regular lathes in science the science lathes you leave them as the omnilathes and create a new, different lathe that's the science lathe.
You've suggested a solution for a single recent change

what would you do for example, if someone wanted to add a whole new department and move all gun construction to that department, making it important to the stability of the round?

There's no easy fix for that, you simply have to sack up and add the department /machines to every single map
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #410974

You're overfocusing on a workaround for a single example rather than the principle that you can't just leave entire rooms or objects missing on several maps. It won't always be as simple as "just leave an omnilathe"

What if we axed circuits and now we have a bunch of maps with circuitlabs that wont compile unless we remove them?
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #410975

If we trim to most popular three, it'd most likely be Box, Meta, and Delta. Most of the complaints I hear about our maps are usually centered around Omega and Pubby (though they're usually about outdated complaints about things already fixed.)

Also we only have 5 maps.
ImageImage
>Be ling
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #410976

>Axed circuts

That's a pretty damn huge change to construction, so yeah you'd have to commit to the long haul and unfuck all the shit you broke by gutting the system.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410977

Again my advocacy is for the following
1 community map that feature developers have to target
n many extra maps, with a dedicated person who develops the map, with limited maintainer balance oversight (we'll remove it if people are screamign at us too much)

If the extra maps fall behind, they get cut, if the map owner vanishes, they get cut, unless they picked a person to pick it up, or someone steps up.

at most I might be convinced to have two community maps
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #410978

Also, if we have such a major issue with mapping things for new features or major removals, feel free to poke me about doing it. I don't usually get mapping requests (I think the last one I got was when MRTY was adding spacepods.)
ImageImage
>Be ling
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #410984

ShizCalev wrote:Also, if we have such a major issue with mapping things for new features or major removals, feel free to poke me about doing it. I don't usually get mapping requests (I think the last one I got was when MRTY was adding spacepods.)

Wonderful, I think the codebase would really appreciate the extra work. I do wonder if we would be able to get someone to take over planetstation with a similar search, but maintaining the already available maps should be our primary objective.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #410985

Meta + Delta wombo combo
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #410987

It'd really be better to limit it to the top 3, or a selection of 3 if the vote was too "stale".

It's more work then 1 map, sure, but it allows us to keep some variety in the mix while defocusing maps that have lain stagnant barring required changes.

Also mapping, unlike coding, is one of those things that most people can do with a little bit of guiding, so if feature implementation is really being hamstrung by map updating, we can always push this within the community (thread within Coding, a group of volunteers on github who can be tagged if a developer needs map changes, something along those lines). I can't code my way out of a paper bag, but I'm happy to make changes to maps to ensure that good changes get in.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #410989

Hey you guys wanna know the 2nd reason goof farm got cancelled?

I couldn't fit a farm next to botany on every map.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #410991

We have maps so unpopular in rotation that admins force a map change when they come up.

Keep box, meta and possibly delta.

Scrap the rest.
I play Boris Pepper.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #410993

ShadowDimentio wrote: >Jump through other hoops

Except we have a ton of features that require different amount of mapping. Honestly I get that some people might want more maps but you're just posting shit in bad faith and you don't know how much work it can be to add a feature and map it into every map.

I've been holding off on several ideas because I know I'd have to butcher 7 maps and add new sections to them, which is not what I want to be doing, takes up a fuckton of time depending on the feature, and isn't particularly fun.

+1 remove most maps and leave 1-3.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #410994

CitrusGender wrote: Wonderful, I think the codebase would really appreciate the extra work. I do wonder if we would be able to get someone to take over planetstation with a similar search, but maintaining the already available maps should be our primary objective.
I'm currently discussing with someone if we can make a planetstation map but I want to see some actual design documents that arent just vague forum threads with ideas but no actual plan.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #410997

Arianya wrote:It'd really be better to limit it to the top 3, or a selection of 3 if the vote was too "stale".

It's more work then 1 map, sure, but it allows us to keep some variety in the mix while defocusing maps that have lain stagnant barring required changes.

Also mapping, unlike coding, is one of those things that most people can do with a little bit of guiding, so if feature implementation is really being hamstrung by map updating, we can always push this within the community (thread within Coding, a group of volunteers on github who can be tagged if a developer needs map changes, something along those lines). I can't code my way out of a paper bag, but I'm happy to make changes to maps to ensure that good changes get in.
people dont' map because it's boring, not because it's hard
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #411000

oranges wrote:
Arianya wrote:It'd really be better to limit it to the top 3, or a selection of 3 if the vote was too "stale".

You literally have two people in this thread already volunteering to do mapping, so clearly its more a case of connecting people interested in doing the mapping with people who need mapping rather then just saying "MAPPINGS BORING NO ONE WANTS TO DO IT"

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #411002

Arianya wrote:
oranges wrote:

You literally have two people in this thread already volunteering to do mapping, so clearly its more a case of connecting people interested in doing the mapping with people who need mapping rather then just saying "MAPPINGS BORING NO ONE WANTS TO DO IT"
saying you will != Doing it
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #411003

saying you will != Doing it
In which goof doubts a maintainer's ability to follow through.

Also our entire codebase is essentially doomed if we take the view that no one will ever actually do anything ever and it hinders implementation. Say you don't like the suggestion if you don't like the suggestion but don't come up with lazy arguments against it that change nothing.

Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #411004

Kill box, worst map
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Naksu
Byond Username: Naksuasdf
Github Username: vuonojenmustaturska

Post by Naksu » #411006

I'll be extremely surprised if the actual list isn'tt meta > delta > box > pubby > omega, veteran players might have a sweet spot for box but on the whole it has very few friends
Naksu
Byond Username: Naksuasdf
Github Username: vuonojenmustaturska

Post by Naksu » #411008

Also I'm personally of the opinion that "making a feature" and "enabling a feature by mapping it" should be two different steps except for the tiniest of map changes
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #411010

How veteran do you have to be? Because I certainly prefer meta.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #411011

Naksu wrote:Also I'm personally of the opinion that "making a feature" and "enabling a feature by mapping it" should be two different steps except for the tiniest of map changes
This. Features should be mapped in by the mappers not necessarily by the people making the features.

Adding things via adding them to a spawner list, adding them to cargo, or adding them to techwebs should be one PR, then if they need separate spaces for them, do a separate map PR. Most things dont need to have pre-built areas, I mean it gives assistants and engineers stuff to do if they need to build shit.

Goof farms was animal breeding right? why drop an entire feature because of a mapping issue when you can give people all the tools via cargo and techwebs and let them solve the mapping issue for you by building what they need.

That all being said, if you had to limit it to one map I would say delta, with meta as a close second. Bagil's population tends to need something as big as delta.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #411013

keep meta box and delta
not even low pop niggers(terry) like those shitty low pop maps
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #411014

if we do go ahead with this, the really telling point will be, once the most popular map is picked, who steps up to maintain the others?

it's one thing to suggest you'll map things for people if they manage to get a hold of you, it's another entirely to commit to actually being the guy for a map.

A lot of people have in my opinion some starry eyed optimism that my jaded experience does not map with.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #411015

People saying keep box, meta and delta are factually correct.

Box is THE SS13 map, you just can't remove it, it's like removing clowns or mimes. And it's pretty suitable for lower populations.
Meta is the development of box, a sweet spot, most universal and most popular.
Delta is not so popular, but it's pretty good for high pops, I love it's maint layout.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #411017

oranges wrote:if we do go ahead with this, the really telling point will be, once the most popular map is picked, who steps up to maintain the others?

it's one thing to suggest you'll map things for people if they manage to get a hold of you, it's another entirely to commit to actually being the guy for a map.

A lot of people have in my opinion some starry eyed optimism that my jaded experience does not map with.
This is specifically why I'm suggesting a group of volunteers who can be pinged on github rather then assigning one person to a map who inevitably burns out/goes on holiday/doesn't like a particular feature/etc.

As far as I've seen this idea of "map ownership" has never really resulted in map improvement/maintenance in anything beyond the first month or two of a map's lifecycle, so why continue to push on having "the guy" for any given map instead of treating it as a shared resource.

pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #411018

Lots of potential mappers have been turned away because of difficulties with the map merger and git. they're too complicated for people who aren't coders.

Even I've been turned away with all the fucking steps involved with making changes to a map. Making the changes in DM is the easy part. What pains me is having to manage the mapmerger, then baby the changes through github, which is NOT a good site for handling maps. Take my recent map PR for example. It's been 10 days, three commits, and still no end in sight. Right now it's holding up 2 other PRs, which is awful.

Here's what it should be, regardless of how many maps get removed:

- Promote SEVERAL map maintainers. Denton is good. I'm good. MMMircacles is good. Most people are good, actually. Promote anyone who shows a tiny bit of mapping competence.

- Allow map maintainers to instantly merge their own commits on maps that aren't Meta. The PR system is an unnecessary hoop that makes map changes more painful than need be. Additionally, the PR system is the reason the map merger is required. If commits could be merged instantly there wouldn't be a need for the map merger, so kill the map merger on everything but meta.

- People adding objects should only required to update Meta, but for each map they don't update they have to tag map maintainers to let them know. People doing path changes or removing items are required to change all maps, however.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #411023

+1 to op, meta isn't my favourite and it'd pain me to see box go but absolutely I agree with the sentiment