Mining ideas: Mining map rotation

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dr. Chef
Byond Username: DrChef

Mining ideas: Mining map rotation

Post by Dr. Chef » #414186

I have some map ideas for mining. Instead of one set location every round, we should have multiple mining maps that go on rotation. One map could be a ice planet instead of the lava land. Another map could be a jungle. We already have snow assets and jungle mega fauna. The mining astroid map could even be brought back as one of the possible mining maps and players could put their favorite mining map in their preferences. The maps would add even more spice to mining rounds and give crew new places to explore. Miners already can rush the lava land, but having a random map would make it more challenging for miners who are unfamiliar with certain maps. Suggestions, criticism, etc. are all welcome here.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: Mining ideas: Mining map rotation

Post by Denton » #414236

I really dig the idea, it's in line with stuff like random roundstart engines that would force players to adapt to new situations.

The main issue I see is that it would be annoying to maintain. If you change something on mining map A, you also have to deal with B and C so they don't lag behind and end up being disabled.

But hey, even stuff like replacing lava with snowdin's liquid plasma would be nice already.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #414237

Not a fan personally, I really love the lavaland theme and colors.
It's not like mining is really stopping to take in the scenery though, it's for hitting rocks with ore inside.
That's always going to be the objective of it, no matter what color the rocks are.
I play Boris Pepper.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #414352

Denton wrote:But hey, even stuff like replacing lava with snowdin's liquid plasma would be nice already.
It would be kind of neat to have a mining level habitable to plasmamen.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #414354

I think that even only having a variation of the current lavaland would be interesting. Having something extremely different would be cool too.

I think this could be a category of it's own for map creation too. Super cool.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Dr. Chef
Byond Username: DrChef

Post by Dr. Chef » #414390

NanookoftheNorth wrote:I think that even only having a variation of the current lavaland would be interesting. Having something extremely different would be cool too.

I think this could be a category of it's own for map creation too. Super cool.
I would be cool if it was just new lava land locations that get randomly sprinkled in every once in a while.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #414436

I think you vastly underestimate the number of assets you'd need to be able to do that.

A single mob for example, Legion, has 3 sprites for directions, ~3 frame sprites for skulls that have 3 directions, and its drop (which also has minor animation). Even if you don't count the different frames thats 7 things someone has to sprite for a single mob.

Now multiply that by the rest of the mobs+megafauna, the dozens of loot items, the inhands for all those loot items, all the turfs used in ruins, the ruins themselves needing to be mapped or remapped, and on and on and on

And most of the spriters who worked on lavaland have quit or gone semi-inactive.