Making spess ruins more challenging

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Making spess ruins more challenging

Post by Denton » #414910

I‘m sure everyone can agree that the big 3 spess ruins - KS13, caravan ambush and deep storage - are pretty much just loot pinatas.

How would you make them more challenging?

I was thinking that adding turrets to deep storage and activating the KS13 ones might make things interesting. Caravan could have its mobs and loot shuffled around - right now, the big bad 60dmg stormtrooper is guarding a plasma crate that nobody ever cares about.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Making spess ruins more challenging

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #414925

Denton wrote:I‘m sure everyone can agree that the big 3 spess ruins - KS13, caravan ambush and deep storage - are pretty much just loot pinatas.

How would you make them more challenging?

I was thinking that adding turrets to deep storage and activating the KS13 ones might make things interesting. Caravan could have its mobs and loot shuffled around - right now, the big bad 60dmg stormtrooper is guarding a plasma crate that nobody ever cares about.
Code an area that they can't leave with a kiting and non-kiting version available.

While the syndi mobs avoid this, I think it is a bad idea to let any dangerous mob be able to escape it's ruin by going into space and then drifting off as it's likely they'll reach the station or kill someone who wasn't even going for the ruin.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #414927

leave the derelict the fuck alone
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #414928

It doesn't matter - it's all dumb ai monsters guarding loot, no matter what you do to up the difficulty someone's going to figure out a way to trivialize it, and then awful mc greyshirt is going to use that to get their own armory 15 minutes into the round. I'd say remove these awful ruins altogether
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #414932

Maybe not making the maps public would help
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #414937

EagleWiz wrote:It doesn't matter
It does if you play derelict drone or are otherwise interested in off-station autism for-
EagleWiz wrote:I'd say remove these awful ruins altogether
-opinion discarded.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Denton

Post by Denton » #414940

>derelict drone
Are you trying to make me sad on purpose
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #414948

glorious russian engineering tho

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #415029

if you make them more challenging the loot has to be better, if the loot is better it unbalances the rest of the game
Denton

Post by Denton » #415033

oranges wrote:if you make them more challenging the loot has to be better, if the loot is better it unbalances the rest of the game
I don't think that they need better loot - caravan ambush has the grenade launcher out in the open, deep storage has a blood-red hardsuit and two rifles behind nothing but locked doors. With a jetpack you can go on a zero risk "shopping tour" and end up with a bunch of gear that's essentially free.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #415038

Denton wrote:
oranges wrote:if you make them more challenging the loot has to be better, if the loot is better it unbalances the rest of the game
I don't think that they need better loot - caravan ambush has the grenade launcher out in the open, deep storage has a blood-red hardsuit and two rifles behind nothing but locked doors. With a jetpack you can go on a zero risk "shopping tour" and end up with a bunch of gear that's essentially free.
It does take time to get to them and get the loot though which is why more people don't do it every round.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #415040

oranges wrote:if you make them more challenging the loot has to be better,
the paper ruin exists
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #416234

Denton wrote:

Honestly the deep storage red hardsuit is not really that big of a deal, i would remove one of the auto rifles from there. The caravan should have some of its crates moved around with some guns being protected by the syndicate.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #416289

JusticeGoat wrote:
Denton wrote:

Honestly the deep storage red hardsuit is not really that big of a deal, i would remove one of the auto rifles from there. The caravan should have some of its crates moved around with some guns being protected by the syndicate.
Put the tools on the pirate-controlled ship and the more powerful guns on the syndie-controlled one.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #416399

it doesnt matter how challenging you make them. a new meta will arise either way.

for example lets start with a maze. after doing it two or three times youll have it memorized and its no longer challenging. so we add monsters. similar to the megafauna, everyone will learn the mob's patterns and it will no longer be challenging. this can only be slowed down by not making maps public which isnt an option.

the whole situation isnt helped by people writing how to guides on the wiki for megafauna and shit
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #417576

add more ranged syndicants in the caravan ruin the meele ones are a joke to kill as they just follow you in space and you have a jetpack
make more pirates space proof
add more of those 1 shot syndicate shotgun leader ahaha they are cool
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #417589

GHOST ROLE EVERYTHING
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #417678

Lets just not touch the derelict though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
aradsten
Byond Username: Aradsten

Post by aradsten » #419882

Cobby wrote:GHOST ROLE EVERYTHING
You could make the ks13 like the 100 year old station but with no instructions.
Give the people that come out of the sleepers an accent ofcourse.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #420356

Saegrimr wrote:Lets just not touch the derelict though.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: