Cooking: Searing Meat with Welders (Seared Cutlet, Seared Carp Filet)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lynch
Byond Username: 000xLynch

Cooking: Searing Meat with Welders (Seared Cutlet, Seared Carp Filet)

Post by Lynch » #422947

Hey everyone, it's Lynch and been playing SS13 for many years. Not sure why it took this long for me to think of this idea, but I'll run you through it.

Background:
Imagine this, the round is coming to an end and xeno just had an invasion of bears and carps, leaving you with a bunch of raw carp filet and bear meat.
By the time you fill up your Bag of Holding with all the carp filet and bear meat, the escape shuttle has already docked with the station and it's time to go.

You're on the shuttle and start laying down the carp filet and bear meat to slice into cutlets with that kitchen knife that the chef kindly lent you earlier, that's when you remembered.
Don't they serve up raw sashimi/sushi/beef at those fancy restaurants right at the diner's table with a blowtorch?

This cooking technique has been around for a long time now and is a really popular method for finishing meats.

Being a home-chef (one of my hobbies), I also sousvide steaks and sear them with a plumber's torch to char up the outsides, so it would be awesome to do this in game with the welder!

Implementation:
I have two options in mind for implementing this:
1)
The "searing" could be done only to carp filets and meat cutlets, basically all proteins/meats that can be seared in real life.

This would be as simple as naming it "seared carp filet" or "seared cutlet", or something, adding the "seared" modifier. I am thinking of restricting this only to proteins/meats, and since it is using a welder, it will take some time to cook just like using the welder on any other thing.

Examples would be, using a welder on the meat:
Raw bacon -> Seared bacon
Raw cutlet -> Seared cutlet
Slab of meat -> Seared meat steak

This is how a Seared cutlet (steak) in real life looks like:

Pros for implementing it this way:
It's simple, and reflective of how it's done in real life.
Similar to deep-frying, it just needs a modifier in front.

2)
Second option for implementation builds upon the first one.
For certain food items such as carp filet, the proper Japanese name for it is "aburi sushi", aburi meaning "flame seared" in Japanese.
So we could have (specifically for carp/fish filet) "aburi carp filet" with a dedicated sprite that resembles aburi sushi:

If you guys haven't tried it before and is close to a legit Japanese restaurant that serves aburi sushi, it's absolutely delicious and you should try it!

Pros for implementing it this way:
I think it's neat to have a few new methods/recipes to cook food + have new sprites for it. Love variety and new stuff!

For both options, I feel some requirements/restrictions are needed:
1) Must be cooked with a welder, industrial welder, upgraded industrial welder, experimental welder, the pocket welder (excluding plasma cutters, lighters, etc). This is how it is in real life, with a proper plumber's torch.
2) Like I mentioned earlier, only for proteins and meats, carp filets, etc.
3) This is very important **MUST BE DONE ON A TABLE**!
I feel that this is a fancy technique for cooking food and since you need a table to slice food, it makes sense you need a table to place food and properly sear it.

Conclusion:
This is somewhat of a passion of mine in real life to eat good food, and I see a lot of potential for this to be added to our codebase, especially since it wouldn't be too difficult to implement.
The first stage of implementation could be done first since it is relatively simple, then once we have the sprites/time to do the second implementation, it would be awesome to introduce a few new recipes.

I would love to have both of my passions combine and see new delicious food in the kitchen. Hope we can get some support behind this idea. :)
Most importantly, it adds an interesting new way to cook food in a fancy/interesting way that reflects modern molecular gastronomy.

And who doesn't want to eat a "deep fried seared lightly-fried seared deep-fried seared monkey steak"?
Last edited by Lynch on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Cooking: Searing Meat with Welders (Seared Cutlet, Seared Carp Filet)

Post by Lumbermancer » #422948

Salmonella.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Lynch
Byond Username: 000xLynch

Post by Lynch » #422950

Lumbermancer wrote:Salmonella.
In real life, you would be using really fresh ingredients (meats/fish) to prepare it in this method, so salmonella and other stuff isn't really a concern at all!

Of course there are some people that will never eat sushi or whatever, but it's still very popular.

Same with eating beef medium-rare and rare.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #422954

engineering powercreep
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #422979

Chef is pointless enough already without giving players means to cook food on their own.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #422980

Time to be an assistant and harvest organs from dead bodies in maintenance to welder-cook them for sustenance
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #423076

Good idea would enjoy
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #423285

Anonmare wrote:Time to be an assistant and harvest organs from dead bodies in maintenance to welder-cook them for sustenance
Port space kuru to fix
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #423297

Proper gourmet cooking needs moodlets.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #423328

The OP looks approximately 100 million times longer than it needs to be, but this is a fine idea add it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #423422

Dax Dupont wrote:greyshirt powercreep
Anonmare wrote:Time to be an assistant and harvest organs from dead bodies in maintenance to welder-cook them for sustenance
► Show Spoiler
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424031

Humans release prions that kill people if they eat human meat. This is how you prevent the traitor tide from getting rid of the evidence via organs.
► Show Spoiler