Karma and special races

A place to record your ideas for the game.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Karma and special races

Post by starmute » #424519

Here's a suggestion (just an idea, please no bully over this). I've noticed that some players are better at role playing or creating fun events. On another SS13 port (colonial marines) special roles are given (and taken away) based on past performance and the ability to follow special rules. For example I believe that drones were simply too hard for some people to grasp, however some other people could play them correctly.

So to allow a player to play a drone:
Allow players to write that they understand the rules of a drone and what drones are supposed to do ect, get it approved by a admin after the player has played for a long period of time with no notes. As a side benefit it would be the "carrot" for players to act nicely in game (whereas bans have always been the stick)

Lots of things could be added like this, and we could possibly expand our side antagonists, joke roles and fun roles a little more if we have people who understand the rules more seriously. We can test gamemodes with players who apply to do so on the forums and/or discord.

Just a thought.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Karma and special races

Post by Cobby » #424525

Getting roles based on how nice you are to the admins is probably a bit too much. As much as I hate it I’d rather blacklist people than whitelist
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #424527

>karma
we redditstation, after all
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #424530

Pretty sure making admins peer review a hundred essays a day just so you can play drone isn't how karma works on other servers
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #424560

I think that it's an interesting idea to restrict who plays drones to players who have a long play record with no major offenses. I think making one in favor of the admins is asking for people to go power hungry.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #424576

PKPenguin321 wrote:Pretty sure making admins peer review a hundred essays a day just so you can play drone isn't how karma works on other servers
even more reason to ac me
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #424601

So an application process? Thats not tg. Dumb idea.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #424618

It's almost like my method of extremely heavy handed bans for shitter drones was working.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
mysteryman sideburns
Byond Username: Sideburns

Post by mysteryman sideburns » #424629

karma was a gay idea in 2010 and its a gay idea now
mysteryman sideburns
Byond Username: Sideburns

Post by mysteryman sideburns » #424630

that being said add karma back in and have it do nothing except let me look at my -80 karma score
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #424633

Saegrimr wrote:It's almost like my method of extremely heavy handed bans for shitter drones was working.
why didn't you choose an heir before fucking off

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
starmute

Post by starmute » #424662

PKPenguin321 wrote:Pretty sure making admins peer review a hundred essays a day just so you can play drone isn't how karma works on other servers
To be fair I was half asleep when I made this. I just meant that a player should be whitelisted and vouched for by multiple admins before getting the fun stuff. Dunno though.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #424665

as an admin i can barely read the two paragraph OP let alone a bunch of essays begging to be allowd to play some role
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #424681

Saegrimr wrote:It's almost like my method of extremely heavy handed bans for shitter drones was working.
return to us saeg restore balance to the server
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #424687

The fact all methods of drone production besides the derelict was turned off should tell if a role requires admins to pay attention to it they would rather it not exist.

I am still a tad salty about drone production being turned off.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #424691

Honestly I am too, was nice to drone around if you got dunked early in the round and spaced. Go off and build a fucking smoking lounge in maint and watch the assistants slowly congregate.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
starmute

Post by starmute » #424694

BeeSting12 wrote:as an admin i can barely read the two paragraph OP let alone a bunch of essays begging to be allowd to play some role
To be fair, we both know being a admin is slightly masochistic. With great power comes..... ......everyone expecting you to be some sort of super human. Then again, this is the future you chose.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #424781

Drones were great, and removing them because a few idiots cant grasp obvious rules was stupid. Gate them behind time played like AI or Borg, apply a month ban immediately on suspicious drone behavior, and a year drone-ban or something if they do it again, you'd think that would weed out the people being bad drones pretty quickly.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #424841

EagleWiz wrote:Drones were great, and removing them because a few idiots cant grasp obvious rules was stupid. Gate them behind time played like AI or Borg, apply a month ban immediately on suspicious drone behavior, and a year drone-ban or something if they do it again, you'd think that would weed out the people being bad drones pretty quickly.
this tbh fam
like seriously it's not like permabans are permanent in any way

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #424962

CosmicScientist wrote:There was no drone logging and the drone laws were peculiar.
yeah, if i was admin and someone said 'hey guys drones are logged now for EVERYTHING' then I would spawn drones. Until then, I am never spawning a fucking drone unless it's about free drones.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424964

Honestly there were 89 dislikes on that pr, if I remember correctly and drones only got added because of a 1-2 headmin split. it was dumb
► Show Spoiler
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #425236

Drone laws were literally an IC way of saying:- Don't use your second life to fuck over someone else. I thought we were pretty clear that we would not accept any attempt to rulelawyer?

We could always make drones more like /vg/'s MoMMIs (Has hands but no inventory space besides their inbuilt on, remote interaction, need to recharge at chargers, can talk on binary but still obligated to not interfere, vulnerable to flashes etc.) Not a fan of being able to be emagged or them needing brains, though, that is what we have posibrains for.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #425283

Anonmare wrote:Drone laws were literally an IC way of saying:- Don't use your second life to fuck over someone else. I thought we were pretty clear that we would not accept any attempt to rulelawyer?

We could always make drones more like /vg/'s MoMMIs (Has hands but no inventory space besides their inbuilt on, remote interaction, need to recharge at chargers, can talk on binary but still obligated to not interfere, vulnerable to flashes etc.) Not a fan of being able to be emagged or them needing brains, though, that is what we have posibrains for.
Pacifism might be a good thing to add to drones as well. as it did not exist when drones were added.