Fixing Ripleys

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Fixing Ripleys

Post by cultist-chan » #40961

Currently, Ripleys do not really work on the east side of the asteroid due to the hostile wildlife. What, if anything do you feel should be done?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Fixing Ripleys

Post by Remie Richards » #40962

More hostile wildlife.
私は完璧
cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Post by cultist-chan » #40964

Remie Richards wrote:More hostile wildlife.
How about we throw the clown out there. Without a suit. Honk
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #40968

cultist-chan wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:More hostile wildlife.
How about we throw the clown out there. Without a suit. Honk
Clown should spawn in space, no oxygen gear.
Only the one most in sync with the honk mother gets the right to live.
私は完璧
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #40982

cultist-chan wrote:Currently, Ripleys do not really work on the east side of the asteroid due to the hostile wildlife. What, if anything do you feel should be done?
I'm pretty sure ripleys were just updated and I'm pretty sure you mean the west side of the asteroid but I'm not gonna be picky about it. All in all I don't really care about ripleys too much for mining because by the time they are readily available/useful, you've normally already turned in a load of materials that lasts RnD for the rest of the shift and you can get the superior diamond drill.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #41373

ripleys kind of suck because they are slow, a pain to use, and cant deal with spoopy rock monsters
they did just get buffed to have more armor and blast resistance but theyre still not very desirable
what i propose is:
1. make them way faster in low pressure, also increase turn speed in low pressure
this is the main complaint, ripleys are slow as fuck and as such an efficient miner can outmine them
2. mech kinetic accelerator
for dealing with mining mobs, obviously. the drill can already sort of do this but you have to tank damage at the same time which usually means constant repairs or your mech blowing up. dunno if it should do more damage than a normal one, but probably, so that it gives an incentive to actually use the mech
3. give them an extra equipment slot
the drill and clamp are pretty much necessary to mine, unless you want to manually collect ore outside of the mech. this would normally give you a slot for an extra piece of equipment like a power relay or some kind of engine, but with the addition of the mech kinetic accelerator, (which is also pretty important) thats 3 slots that are dedicated to basic equipment. a 4th would allow for that extra repair drone or whatever.

also a differentiation between mining ripleys and cargo ripleys would be cool
cargo ripleys would just be power-loaders from aliens, basically, with only 2 equipment slots. they should be as fast or faster than an odysseus and be able to carry crates and the like. obviously they would have little armor, exposed cockpits, and not be spaceproof. they should have the fastest turn rate of any mech.
also, it would actually be good for fighting aliens, because it would prevent you from being stunlocked, so you can actually fight them close-up. the weakness of the mech would mean you'd have to be careful, though.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #41392

Even a mech pa would be useless against a hivelord. Perhaps some sort of vacuum enabled weapon that can switch between a sweep mode for fragment swarms and a concentrated melee attack would help.

If mech interface was you know a proper interface maybe you could use grav catapult as a control tool for runners and ranged mobs but as is bleh, garbage.
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #41433

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say ripleys can't kill mining monsters. They absolutely can. Use the drill on goliaths and basilisks and harm-intent hydraulic clamp on hivelords and their spawn (it's instant.)

The biggest threat is goliaths. They will take a non-goliath-plated Ripley down to, on average, 55% before dying. The solution is to carry around a weldfuel tank in your backpack and after every goliath fight, unload it, get out and fix the Ripley. Or mount an armor repair drone.

Ripleys also become unbelievably robust after you put three goliath plates on them, and will henceforth only take 15-20% of damage from goliaths max.

The only thing that's annoying is that miscalibration/weapon loss can happen as low as 49%, which bad rolls with goliaths can get you if you have no plates on it at all.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #41959

Ripleys really need to be faster in a vacuum, possibly a speed boost overall.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42030

LNGLY wrote:I have no idea what people are talking about when they say ripleys can't kill mining monsters. They absolutely can. Use the drill on goliaths and basilisks and harm-intent hydraulic clamp on hivelords and their spawn (it's instant.)

The biggest threat is goliaths. They will take a non-goliath-plated Ripley down to, on average, 55% before dying. The solution is to carry around a weldfuel tank in your backpack and after every goliath fight, unload it, get out and fix the Ripley. Or mount an armor repair drone.

Ripleys also become unbelievably robust after you put three goliath plates on them, and will henceforth only take 15-20% of damage from goliaths max.

The only thing that's annoying is that miscalibration/weapon loss can happen as low as 49%, which bad rolls with goliaths can get you if you have no plates on it at all.
As great as that sounds, you're still wasting plates on a ripley instead of putting them on your suit. So yeah, you end up with a turboplated mech that can increasingly take punishment from mining mobs but when you're done stomping around very slowly mining you're stuck with a useless ugly mech and some plates you're never getting back.