Give the HoP a Medal Box

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Give the HoP a Medal Box

Post by Farquaar » #434878

It's no secret that the Head of Personnel is less of a head of staff and more like an access kiosk/discount security officer. How can we make the HoP more involved in the station's affairs when it seems like orders from the clown have more weight than his? The answer is simple: medals!

Give Head of Personnel a medal box similar to that of the Captain or Head of Security. It would contain medals that award service and cargo for a job well done. Did the chef set up a classy restaurant with themed food and decor? Give him the Master Chef medal! Did the janitor keep the station spotless in a particularly bloody round? Give him the Santitation Hero medal! Did the clown actually have a funny gimmick? Give him the Barrel of Laughs medal! There could be a medal or two for each job nominally under the HoP in the chain of command. Including assistants, even.

This addition would have a twofold effect. Not only would it encourage HoPs to get involved with the day to day affairs of the station, it would also give more opportunities for players outside of security, science and engineering to be recognized for their creativity and hard work.

I dream that one day, the HoP could actually begin coordinating fun projects, with medals waiting for the crewmembers who offer up their time to help out.
Spoiler:
On an unrelated note, please put a labelmaker and photocopier in the HoP's office
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Give the HoP a Medal Box

Post by Lumbermancer » #434879

Farquaar wrote:How can we make the HoP more involved in the station's affairs when it seems like orders from the clown have more weight than his?
Standarized mandatory paperwork system.

But I guess medals are fine too.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
aradsten
Byond Username: Aradsten

Post by aradsten » #436535

Lumbermancer wrote:
Farquaar wrote:How can we make the HoP more involved in the station's affairs when it seems like orders from the clown have more weight than his?
Standarized mandatory paperwork system.

But I guess medals are fine too.
Sounds good. Should have that in sec too
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #440964

and cargo
Cargo already has medals?
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #441099

While we're on the subject, the CMO could use medals too. "Expert Surgeon" medal for tearing a xenomorph out before it could burst, "Lifesaver" medal for rescuing someone from near death, "Master Chemist" for telling botany to fuck off and make their own dispenser.

Always seemed weird that the QM, who isn't even a revolution target, gets a medal box but the CMO doesn't.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #441237

that's probably because the QM actually works with cargo while the hop sits in their room all shift (AS THEY SHOULD DO) or plays HoS Lite
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #441303

Yakumo_Chen wrote:that's probably because the QM actually works with cargo while the hop sits in their room all shift (AS THEY SHOULD DO) or plays HoS Lite
The HoP shouldn't be in his office all shift, and he shouldn't be playing HoPsec. See the OP for my vision of what medals would do for the HoP.

HoPs who don't go around talking to their subordinates and checking in on how they're doing are playing HoP wrong. The status of the HoP as an access kiosk results in many rounds on Sybil where there's no HoP at all. And if you can't message the HoP for a meeting at his window, then the only winner is the first greytider to grab the spare ID.
► Show Spoiler
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #441526

Denying people access if they dont fill out a dnd character sheet and choosing how much you fulfill their requests based on said sheet is a fucking good way to be a significant HoP
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #441725

>not hosting scavenger hunts where the prize for winning is access
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: