How to better the revolution game mode.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Zaffinomlb
Byond Username: Zaffinomlb

Post by Zaffinomlb » #436400

I like it the way it is. Stay gold revi boi :popcorn:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: How to better the revolution game mode.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #436416

Zaffinomlb wrote:How to better the revolution game mode.

I like it the way it is. Stay gold revi boi :popcorn:
this but the bug where if there's one revhead and if his internet stutters for 0.1 second the round ends should be fixed. its been reported like 5 times and closed every time as not a bug which is like whaaat
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #436498

Reverse revs where heads have to convert other crew and kill all assistants on station
L_Nacho_Chaos_L
Byond Username: L_Nacho_Chaos_L

Post by L_Nacho_Chaos_L » #442552

Remove it. Rev is literally just a trash version of cult.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #442569

L_Nacho_Chaos_L wrote:Remove it. Rev is literally just a trash version of cult.
Cult is just a trash version of extended
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

L_Nacho_Chaos_L
Byond Username: L_Nacho_Chaos_L

Post by L_Nacho_Chaos_L » #446412

Nilons wrote:
Still better than revs. Cult needs a revamp, yes, but it's still better than revs.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #446426

L_Nacho_Chaos_L wrote:
Nilons wrote:
Still better than revs. Cult needs a revamp, yes, but it's still better than revs.
zing! only took half a month, but you got there
Spoiler:
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #446451

i like revs but only when im assistant
edit: i was gonna say i dont dislike it when im security officer but then i realized i just dislike being security officer no matter the gamemode
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #446579

being a head of staff in a late stage revolution is a fucking blast. you have to go full guerrilla warfare, jumping out of the darkness to claim a victim who's actively searching for you then retreating before you're seen. beating them in the head in the hopes that it deconverts them, and asking for revhead names if it does, almost literally beating info out of your foes. one of the best ss13 experiences (and also one of the rarer ones unless you exclusively roll head roles) if youre decent at the game IMO
Spoiler:
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #446588

PKPenguin321 wrote:being a head of staff in a late stage revolution is a fucking blast. you have to go full guerrilla warfare, jumping out of the darkness to claim a victim who's actively searching for you then retreating before you're seen. beating them in the head in the hopes that it deconverts them, and asking for revhead names if it does, almost literally beating info out of your foes. one of the best ss13 experiences (and also one of the rarer ones unless you exclusively roll head roles) if youre decent at the game IMO
Yea but the issue is that's only fun for a handful of people. The rest of the players are busy being revs who aimlessly wander around waiting for the last head to perish somewhere in the distance.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #446684

Rev heads need better tools or abilities to control their converts. Whether it's some code that makes it so all Rev aligned players recognize Rev heads or even other Revs when they speak (over the radio and such.)

Change convert mechanics so only Heads of Staff deconvert with a flash or baton beatings.

A pocket item or ability that sends a station wide alert for all revs to move to a location

Or an ability that unlocks after X% of the crew is Rev or a head is surrounded by Revs that lets them mass convert people in LoS who aren't loyalty implanted.

Reinforcement options for both sides if half the crew is dead, since those 30+ minute stalemates where both sides are down to a handful of people and too cowardice to risk a loss by finding the opposing leader.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #446697

PKPenguin321 wrote:being a head of staff in a late stage revolution is a fucking blast. you have to go full guerrilla warfare, jumping out of the darkness to claim a victim who's actively searching for you then retreating before you're seen. beating them in the head in the hopes that it deconverts them, and asking for revhead names if it does, almost literally beating info out of your foes. one of the best ss13 experiences (and also one of the rarer ones unless you exclusively roll head roles) if youre decent at the game IMO
It is pretty fun taking on impossible odds (and sometimes still coming out on top with like a 20% loyalist crew lmao). It also reverses the standard roles where the antag is usually outnumbered by regular crew, in this case the heads of staff are the ones heavily outnumbered and are forced to use antagonist tactics to fight off their own station.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #446700

One of the reasons I've never touched Rev is too many people have a different idea of what the mode should be.

I could try and post even the most bare-minimum improvement to end the most common complaints like "Here's a way to end stalemates without being unfair to either side" and then someone like Kor would vigorously oppose it since it conflicts with their ideal of having Rev rounds where the last 30 minutes is just a handful of people hiding in a burnt-out dead station.

Some people want to have a brutal survival experience with no hope of escape while they have to hunt down other crew. Others want to wrap it up when one side has already "won" or when its basically a stalemate with both sides on the defensive. Others hate the core concept of Rev and there's no way to improve the mode for them without gutting it for the others who like the core concept. For combat-oriented players being a Head of Staff is liberating, getting to kill your subordinates and wage nearly indiscriminate warfare with all the tools your dept. offers... for RP-oriented players its a stressful and humiliating experience where you either get dunked early and taunted by both the living and dead for your ineptitude - or you run to the brig and are forced into exile from your own dept., unable to provide anything more than the modest amount of equipment you brought with you.

There's also differing views on momentum, something I've struggled with when balancing cult. If one side gets a strong start (Sec catches a majority of the Cult in a single raid or Cult manages to sac the captain in the first few minutes), it tends to an unsatisfying round with one side steamrolling the other. However, if you try to give the losing side some kind of "comeback" mechanic that gives them a fighting chance then you can have the following outcomes:

1) The losing side still loses, but they lose more slowly, dragging out what felt like an inevitable outcome in a way that doesn't feel very satisfying to anyone.
2) The losing side pulls off a stunning comeback and wins, making the previously winning side feel like they were cheating out of a deserved victory because of some unjustified intervention (similar to the dilemma of admins and ERTs, if the ERT actually defeats the antagonist - the antagonist may rightfully feel cheated).

So when approaching Revs you face these questions with no clear answer - do we want a "rip the band-aid off" approach where we design the mode to wrap things up when one side has a big advantage? should try to give every round a chance to see its conflict fully "blossom" by giving advantages to the underdog and prevent one side from snowballing?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #446708

Revolution is in a perfect state. It has the bare minimum amount of mechanics to make it function: the shuttle doesn't leave, flashes convert, mindshields deconvert and protect from conversion, and the round ends when one side's leaders are dead. That's what makes it so great. It doesn't make a game within a game as clock cult did. If you have a good understanding of the game, you can succeed in revs without any knowledge besides your objects and game knowledge. You don't need to memorize a bunch of snowflake abilities and items (blood and clock cult).
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #446716

Yea but the issue is that's only fun for a handful of people. The rest of the players are busy being revs who aimlessly wander around waiting for the last head to perish somewhere in the distance.
It's only that way if you're lazy and don't want to try. Be the change you want on the station. Last night in a rev round I went around cutting all the AI's cameras, rescued revs from officers, captured randoms for conversion, and generally looked for ways to arm up or assist the revs at large. Eventually I got caught and managed to fool sec that they successfully deconverted me after they beat me into crit by dropping a random static-named player's name. They let me arm up and I blasted the CMO with buckshot when he came to the brig.

Rev is fun when you actively try to participate. Any game mode is boring if all you do is stand there and wait for the round to end.
If you have a good understanding of the game, you can succeed in revs without any knowledge besides your objects and game knowledge. You don't need to memorize a bunch of snowflake abilities and items (blood and clock cult).
This is also a part of why revs can be good. A lone robust player can be a huge asset to the revolution. Break into places and arm up with robust shit. Sabotage stuff. Etc.
--Crocodillo

Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #447957

Revs is an absolutely perfect team/conversion mode. Antags don't need mode-snowflake items to succeed aside from the conversion flash (which is still mundane otherwise), and the objective is very simple and straight forwards, leading to a lot of interesting play and more interesting antagonistic uses of departments then the usual. Security does not require any special knowledge to fight antags aside from "stun and implant, if one of those steps fails, valid"

The value of the mode is in its pure simplicity.

It's also very easy to contribute regardless of your side, you can support your side passively (like doctors or science or botany) or by setting up traps to help convert / kill instead of actively hunting down people not on your team.

It's also very easy to tell who is or is not on your team or might not be, given security can go off who is implanted and revs get a HUD.

I will admit though that I am a frequent Head player and I find the most fun in long rev rounds where I have to complete impossible tasks to beat the revolution, so my opinion regarding specific sides is skewed.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #448927

Davidchan wrote: A pocket item or ability that sends a station wide alert for all revs to move to a location
I really like this idea. It's a simple fix to the problem of more than half the revs not knowing what's going on and just milling about their workstation or wandering the halls like zombies.
► Show Spoiler
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #449007

Heads of staff can craft a syndie balloon with an 'R' on it when?
--Crocodillo

iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #449010

Davidchan wrote: A pocket item or ability that sends a station wide alert for all revs to move to a location
This would not play out well in practice if you're not a rev, considering that there's going to be more revs 99% of the time than there is crew.
imagine fighting a revhead but then he activates his beacon and half of the station comes to kill the 3 or 4 guys who don't have an R next to them
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #449011

Heads of Staff and Rev Heads should be viewed as bosses requiring planning and some teamwork to take down. Not some random 1v1 encounter in maint while scavenging 30 minutes into the round.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #449073

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Revs is an absolutely perfect team/conversion mode. Antags don't need mode-snowflake items to succeed aside from the conversion flash (which is still mundane otherwise), and the objective is very simple and straight forwards, leading to a lot of interesting play and more interesting antagonistic uses of departments then the usual. Security does not require any special knowledge to fight antags aside from "stun and implant, if one of those steps fails, valid"

It's also very easy to contribute regardless of your side, you can support your side passively (like doctors or science or botany) or by setting up traps to help convert / kill instead of actively hunting down people not on your team.

It's also very easy to tell who is or is not on your team or might not be, given security can go off who is implanted and revs get a HUD.

I will admit though that I am a frequent Head player and I find the most fun in long rev rounds where I have to complete impossible tasks to beat the revolution, so my opinion regarding specific sides is skewed.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #449153

Gang, Clock and Cult are what you get when you start to add more and more concepts to Rev
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #449189

oranges wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Revs is an absolutely perfect team/conversion mode. Antags don't need mode-snowflake items to succeed aside from the conversion flash (which is still mundane otherwise), and the objective is very simple and straight forwards, leading to a lot of interesting play and more interesting antagonistic uses of departments then the usual. Security does not require any special knowledge to fight antags aside from "stun and implant, if one of those steps fails, valid"

I cant believe I agree with the orange.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #449388

Steelpoint wrote:Gang, Clock and Cult are what you get when you start to add more and more concepts to Rev
gang was fun though
Spoiler:
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #449499

Conversion modes are really only bad if they aren't balanced and there is no counterplay for either side. Team Antag rules being loosely applied that even when the leader/senior member of a team wants to stealth or operate in a certain way but new converts just murderbone and expose the antags without repercussions doesn't help.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #449506

Suggestion: being cuffed and/or brigged should count as dead/spaced/eliminated.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #449531

Mark9013100 wrote:Suggestion: being cuffed and/or brigged should count as dead/spaced/eliminated.
If you think about it thats a very bad idea.

The only bad thing about revs is late stage when the last heads are just hiding and avoiding conflict. Most admins force them to go on the aggressive, but there should be some sort of solution when none are online (SPEEDY REVS).
[this space reserved]
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #449533

wesoda25 wrote:
Mark9013100 wrote:Suggestion: being cuffed and/or brigged should count as dead/spaced/eliminated.

The only bad thing about revs is late stage when the last heads are just hiding and avoiding conflict. Most admins force them to go on the aggressive, but there should be some sort of solution when none are online (SPEEDY REVS).
timer that counts down for auto deathsquad assignment to kill all remaining alive on the station if the round drags on for too long
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #449535

wesoda25 wrote:

Anything that gets this mode over with faster is a plus.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #449571

Floiven wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:

timer that counts down for auto deathsquad assignment to kill all remaining alive on the station if the round drags on for too long
Ive suggested that before, nuke arming would work as well, the problem with that would be it would be a tell of the round type if the revs are being stealthy.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #451279

Let admins trigger Fornite Mode if the round gets stale the station is slowly engulfed by space gas and the remaining crew can only take refuge by duking it out at the bridge
TothBrush

Post by TothBrush » #452861

The only thing rev needs is a failsafe. Rev rounds are at their best when hordes of crew are mowed down by security and heads of staff or overrun by cargonia. Rev rounds are at their worst when a single head of staff hides in a locker in space with a box full of internals or when a single rev head hides in the crematorium for 60 minutes. As long as there's one single mechanic which ensures games last 30-40 minutes or less, then revs would be perfect. Until then, rev rounds are simply too prone to disaster.