Mech Rework

A place to record your ideas for the game.
sentient_loaf
Byond Username: Sentient_loaf

Mech Rework

Post by sentient_loaf » #440052

Mechs as they are range from pretty good to dumb reskins. Firefighter is literally just a slightly different Ripley,the ody is nearly never used,and the phazon and H.O.N.K. require such rare materials that they never appear.The phazon imo is not that expensive,but no one gets anomaly cores when they appear.I propose the mechs be changed from static groups to a more modular system.Mechs are divided into 5 categories leg,arm,torso,head,and cockpit.All of them start out as frames that require you to add armor,wiring,circuits,technology,and other limbs in the case of the torso.

TORSO

The torso is the main part of the mech with legs and arms attatched to them.The torso like all parts has armor and weight as it's stats.The torso's weghts dictates what legs it can have.I.E. the incredibley armored torso can't go on the speedy twig legs.Torsos have a size small normal or large.Small is a little taller than a person and can be compared to someone in a firesuit or in yellow health.Medium is the same speed and has all the torsos we currently have under it.Large is about 2 tiles tall and is very slow.
Ripley:Has no head slot,but it has an optional cockpit.
Gygax:Can't take heavier armor but has a low weight.Head slot
Durand:Can't take lighter armor and has high weight, in exchange for high defense head slot
Phazon:A very expensive yet has both decent armor and high speed.

Limbs

Limbs attatch to the torso.Legs can only take so much weight or else it flat out can't get off the ground without the legs snapping.Arms can be replaced by most weapons and because of this have automatic reloads and better accuracy.
Legs
Wheels:Have low weight support but good speed.
Tracks:Have good weight but very slow
Rocket:The mech floats of the ground allowing them to navigate space but have abysmal weight.
Cockpit

Not all mech torsos take cockpits,but the ones that do have more synch.Adding a cockpit makes it so that attacks from behind do some damage to the pilot
Basic cockpit:Has average synch and is the default basic bitch one
Safe cockpit:This cockpit ejects and breaks through walls like a rod without damage when the mech is destroyed.This cockpit weighs a lot with the fuel boosters and armor.
Bluespace cockpit:This cockpit uses bluespace to remotely control the mech.The downside is damage done to the mech results in "feedback" and damage to the pilot.It takes a while to break the link and leaves the mech and pilot vulnerable.
Bio-Cockpit:This cockpit directrly links to the users brain and sort of generates a lifeform in the mech.This gives it the by far best synch level.The mech requires the mech to be welded like normal AND must be healed like a normal human.Due to the high synch damage to the mech applies to the pilot.The mech can pick stuff up,use buttons,and interact with machines like a normal person.

Synch
The more synch a mech has the faster and more accurate the mech is.Wearing a plugsuit,taking drugs,and drinking beer all improve synch.Plugsuits are simple linear improvements that increase the synch.Eventually you can get a plug implant that has ok synch but does not need the suit.
New Weapons

Weapons can be held in a mech,on its back,or replace it's arms.The more synch the more accurate they are.With high synch melee weapons simply are more likely to hit and ranged ones have slight movement to the left or right at low synch.
Swords:Swords have varying speeds and damage.
Gauntlets:Gauntlets simply allow mechs to both have built in weapons and interact with things like buttons.They have bad-ok damage as a result.

Tech

Tech are little boosts and active effects that add weight and go onto specific parts.Think the repair drone and tesla relay.
Better optics/fingers:Improved aim
Life Support:alterts medical and gives stabilizes to soft crit.
Electroshock:Has a chance to shock those next to the mech.The stun is minor and damage is miniscule but it does scare people away.
Bluespace backpack:This allows the mech to store a few more weapons wtih no weight but is VERY resource heavy while also removing any other technology on the torso or limbs.

Armor

Armor can be added to parts and can be mixed and matched across parts.
Brute Forcefield:Drasticaly decreases brute damage yet moderately increases burn.
Reflector Shield:Has a 25 chance to reflect lasers but is pretty weak to brute.
Spike armor:Has decent defense and damage melee attackers.
Light and Heavy:Each are pretty basic.Light has low defense and low weight.Heavy has high defense but high weight.
sentient_loaf

Re: Mech Rework

Post by sentient_loaf » #440053

My idea behind balancing is that you can be a heavily armored tank,but you will take ages to move and turn meaning some grey circling you can robust you easily.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #440055

How about different types of legs?

Spider claws, medium weight and low speed, but can dig into the plating, turning the Mech into a turret of sorts that increases accuracy and firepower.

Modules that allow the Mech to use different fuels (Bio Mech could use blood, for example, to produce power)
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
sentient_loaf

Post by sentient_loaf » #440060

Speaking of fuel another problem is the mech’s power .Relays Just make the mech 100% independent with a repair drone but without it you need to take way to long to recharge.I think mechs should be able to have a fuel like blood,quickly charging stations at robo ,and ok charging by connecting to an apc.They would have a sort of cord attached like the ones in Evangelion that could be cut needing to be replaced.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #440133

sentient_loaf wrote:Speaking of fuel another problem is the mech’s power .Relays Just make the mech 100% independent with a repair drone but without it you need to take way to long to recharge.I think mechs should be able to have a fuel like blood,quickly charging stations at robo ,and ok charging by connecting to an apc.They would have a sort of cord attached like the ones in Evangelion that could be cut needing to be replaced.
Make it so relays provide enough power to gygax dash near-infinitely but only if your mech is super light, basically a glass cannon
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #440147

So who's gonna code this?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
sentient_loaf

Post by sentient_loaf » #440154

Isn’t this the ideas subforum?Don’t things that will actually be coded go in another areas
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #440297

We Armored Core now.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #440404

DemonFiren wrote:So who's gonna code this?
i said forever i was going to make modular mechs that are somewhat like this but burned the fuck out so
maybe gun hog or xdtm if i can't get it up? :^)
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #440414

So basically the Robot Workbench from Fallout 4 Automatron but you can pilot them?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Ignies
Byond Username: Ignies

Post by Ignies » #442352

We need this, let us install different parts to make frankenmechs but maybe raise the cost of high tier (combat) parts to make sure there are not too many killing machines running around, as this will be a huge buff to robotics.