King of the Disk

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

King of the Disk

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #447956

An idea blatantly stolen from Hippie, but I think we can do it better. (Disclaimer: I don't play Hippie. I just know they have such a mode)

The idea of King of the Disk is essentially at its base Traitor mode, but all of the traitors have the objective to secure the disk and escape alive with it.

Traitors start the game with the objective, a pinpointer (perhaps an implanted / HUD one so as not to give the mode away so easily to security, and/or a mode-exclusive TC-buyable pinpointer), and an uplink that starts with zero or very limited telecrystals.

On their own, traitors very slowly gain TC over time as long as their uplink is in their possession (it would likely stop generating when they lose possession of it or are dead to prevent infinite-TC sec). Perhaps 1 TC every 5 minutes. Traitors will have to primarily rely on the strengths of their starting job to attempt to secure the disk, or gain access to more tools via basic antagonism.

Traitors will have to secure the Disk through the usual methods (probably involving robbing the captain or hacking), and while they have it in possession, they will gain TC at an increased rate (perhaps 2.5-3 minutes per TC). However as the new disk holder, they will become the new target of traitors, and also security or anyone else who has one of the starting pinpointers or perhaps one looted off another traitor. Theoretically a traitor can power up with infinite TC but with the disk they will need a lot of TC or robust skills to defend it.

Given Traitor mode is very popular and we have several modes that use Traitor as a base, I think players will enjoy this spin on the mode. With low starting TC, murderbone will be very difficult at the start of the shift, but TC generation will slowly increase entropy of the station so long as traitors remain, and traitors are encouraged to do their objective to acquire TC faster. Traitors will also be encouraged to not let the round drag out as they will want to escape with the disk quickly when they acquire it and will want to create reasons to call the shuttle.

I believe Hippie has it to where you just need the most TC to win, which doesn't really encourage competition for the objective and they start with full TC, which makes it look outwards like just normal Traitor but with extra murderbone from the disk holder.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: King of the Disk

Post by Dr_bee » #447960

I can see this having similar problems to Double Agents in that it leads to a bigger disaster than a nuke op attack. The slow trickle TC might help mitigate this somewhat, It would need testing.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #447980

This reminds me of an idea I had a long time ago for a mode that's just traitor but everyone has the same objectives
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #447991

We already have this but better. It's called highlander.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #447993

obscolene wrote:We already have this but better. It's called highlander.
lol cute
[this space reserved]
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #447995

We already have it but worse. It's called overthrow.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #448001

Lumbermancer wrote:
We already have it but worse. It's called overthrow.
Don’t really see the similarities for that one but whatever (remove overthrow).

All highlander ever amounted to was a 5 minute stress reliever round and Citrus Genders shitty calling card.

This actually seems like a really fun, plausible option. Comparing it to either of those shitfests disrespects it.
[this space reserved]
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #448008

wesoda25 wrote:Don’t really see the similarities for that one but whatever (remove overthrow).
Bad guys are competing for the objective?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #448307

I like the idea!

Maybe with a king of the hill aspect added.

Have disk in X location that changes after time. This grants more TC

Person with most TC at end wins with a bonus TC granted to disk holder at end.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #448323

Could be fun.

I would have 0 TC gain while in space, to stop a players from grabbing a jetpack and flying in circles around the station to farm CP after they snatch the disk. I'm not sure if hiding in space should be a valid tactic or stopped/discourged through code.

Having some mode specific TC items would be cool too. Like a consumable that for 5 minutes makes all the pinpointers on the station point at a random crewman. This should be expensive enough where you couldn't spam it.
--Crocodillo

Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #449012

delaron wrote:I like the idea!

Making the end objective based on having TC is bad, as it discourages spending TC, and hurts the incentive to go after the disk.

I noticed reading about it on hippie that a lot of the time people would win by not spending tc at all. Bad design.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #449015

Yakumo_Chen wrote:

Making the end objective based on having TC is bad, as it discourages spending TC, and hurts the incentive to go after the disk.

I noticed reading about it on hippie that a lot of the time people would win by not spending tc at all. Bad design.
The point of making it based on TC is to discourage people from going ham on buying highly destructive toys.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #449025

Dr_bee wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:

The point of making it based on TC is to discourage people from going ham on buying highly destructive toys.
That's already gated off by low starting TC. The disk holder is in fact given extra tc as extra incentive to spend it on items to either defend themselves much easier or to cause mayhem to get shuttle called (which means less time to defend disk.
I would even say there should be a 30 tc item that gives nuke codes and changes the holders objective to nuke, for the long game player. Remove transferable tc to keep players from pooling it too.
Kierany9
Byond Username: Kierany9

Post by Kierany9 » #449209

i made this mode and was unironically considering asking naksu "hey can I port my own highlander vs traitor ripoff for your 100$ gamemode bounty".
if there is demand, i'm willing to port it to modern tgcode, i know my own code and it'd take an afternoon tops.

The way it worked on Hippie is slightly different to what Yakumo said and suggested, the uplink started with 10 TC with no passive regeneration, meaning that unless you have the disk, you're not getting more than 10. The disk gave way more TC though, at a rate of 1 per minute. Ebow and Revolver were blacklisted due to being the chief murderbone weapons at the time, (and only needed 2-3 minutes with the disk before being able to buy one and go ham), as were bundles and crates. Traitors could win either by having the disk or by having the most TC, which did make doing nothing a valid strategy, but they ran the risk of losing to somebody who managed to hold the disk for a minute and then doing nothing.

Although don't get me wrong, I actually like some of those suggestions, especially the implanted pinpointers.
WarbossLincoln wrote:I would have 0 TC gain while in space, to stop a players from grabbing a jetpack and flying in circles around the station to farm CP after they snatch the disk. I'm not sure if hiding in space should be a valid tactic or stopped/discourged through code.
Needs to be stopped, mostly because jetpack combat is utter cancer, if somebody managed to nab a jetpack and the disk, they were guaranteed to reach at least 20 TC. Heck, I'd even suggest a TC drain for being in space with the disk, it's just not fun. Although space combat is actually pretty fun when mobility is limited, I remember the first KOTD round that I played, me and another traitor teamed up to chase the disk holder into space, we cornered him between a wall and a solar array, my ally blocked his escape with a stunprod while I rushed at him with knife boxing gloves.
WarbossLincoln wrote:Having some mode specific TC items would be cool too. Like a consumable that for 5 minutes makes all the pinpointers on the station point at a random crewman. This should be expensive enough where you couldn't spam it.
That actually sounds like a neat idea.
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Making the end objective based on having TC is bad, as it discourages spending TC, and hurts the incentive to go after the disk.

I mean, it could work, but at the same time it'd have to discourage doing nothing, perhaps an insane TC generation rate while holding the disk on the shuttle (1 per 6 seconds for example, granting 50 TC for defending yourself for the entire shuttle ride) so that holding the disk there and surrendering it for a while would always beat doing nothing.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #449213

One issue I can see with the game mode is encouraging Traitors to sit back and let the TCs build up while not bothering to engage with the disk. You can't call the Escape Ship early in the game so you have no real incentive to rush grab the disk early on since it'll make you a target for Security and Traitors. So your better off just waiting to let your TCs build up.

Even if you do secure the disk early on as a generic Assistant who rushes the Capns empty room at round start, you are still going to be waiting ten or more minutes to get a decent amount of TCs, plus you now have to dodge Sec and other Traitors, who may even just ignore the disk and leave it on your corpse to avoid getting chased.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #451276

the incentive is to actually do your job or do some kind of project that builds up to being more dangerous later in the game as opposed to frontloading everyone's power early on. If players start with full TCs the mode will just be an extremely similar variant to regular Traitor or IAA.

A complaint about traitors you hear a lot is traitors will usually use all 20 TC to load up on bombs or ebow esword and just go on an immediate rampage which may or may not completely ruin the flow of the round for a lot of people. Crew will often be disgruntled if they die early on and even if cloned aren't as likely to go back to work, even if the threat was something that only lasted a few minutes like His Grace.

By backloading TCs towards a trickle, traitors are encouraged to do something else productive with their time or cash early on cheap items which often never see much use (especially stealth items like the agent card to change identities when they're outed as stealing the disk to throw off security). If they want more TC to murderbone, better go get that disk. If TC transfers are disabled, high-cost options could be purchased or implemented like Romerol that isn't normally available to traitors without cooperation.

Disk theft isn't always detected early on and the greytide assistant could very well not have to watch for security while they rake in the TCs, while everyone else is forced to wait.

Watching players ebow esword every round is boring, forcing players to wait for TC will encourage creative behavior that is more interesting to see and requires changing tactics from the usual, like botany hell or death viruses or mechs, if it comes down to it. The playerbase generally enjoys longer unmolested rounds, and a quiet start isn't always a bad thing.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #451578

Instead of solely basing this mode on Hippies King of the Disk mode, We could instead base it on a combination of King of the Disk and Goonstations Spy mode.Please note that all numerical values are not balanced, i just picked what felt good.

Gamemode Name
- Code Name

Win condition-An Agent objective is to be the only Agent to escape alive(Or if its more interesting, to make it so they have to be the only living Agent AND escape alive.
The crew wins if all the Agents are dead

Concept - 5-10 Agents will spawn with a PDA with an Uplink with 0 TC and Bounty board App. Each Agent will also be given a Codename which all other agents will know them as. Finally each agent will be given a malfunctioning disk pinpointer implant which will track the center of the room the disk is in but NOT the exact location the disk is. As the agents will gain TC in various ways to buy weapons, tools and information in their quest to eliminate the other agents

Bounty Board- Inside the bounty board it will contain a list of 3-4 bounties, a list of 3 Drop off points which will periodically change, and a chatroom. A bounty may not be turned in unless you have accepted it.Once you accept a bounty you will have to wait at-least 5 minutes before you can turn it in to prevent you from accepting it at the last minute. It will also inform every other agent that you have accepted it. The bounties will list various task that must be completed such as stealing an object, Turning in a specific body part from a specific crew member, Download the black box recordings and finally steal a DNA sample of someone. If a bounty requires a objective specific object to be complete such as stealing a SM sliver or downloading the black box recording then such items will be given it once you accepted the bounty. Once you have the specific item you will need to take it to the drop off point and call down a drop-pod to offload the item. Once an bounty has been completed, the agent who completed it will be given a TC reward and a new bounty will replace it. The final feature the bounty board has is a chatroom. The chatroom will allow the agents to communicate , mock and possibly form temporary alliances with each other. It will also contain a full list of agents and information on whether they are currently alive or not,how much TC they have earned and whether or not they have the disk.

The Disk- When an Agent has the disk they will gain 1 TC for every minute they hold onto the disk on the station. There will also be a Data upload location which will designated in a highly public (Such as medbay lobby, hallways, the bar, dorms) location which picked at the start of the game and will never chang(It is the same place for all agents). If you hold the disk in this highly public location then you will instead gain 4 TC for every minute they have the disk.

The Uplink-Each Agent will have the same list of items to buy which will randomly be generated from a pool of traitor items which will force the agents to adapt and create new strategies every time they play codename. These traitor items will also have a slightly increased cost to counteract the fact that you can easily gain TC in this mode. The uplink will also contain an information section which will always contain the same options. The information section will contain these items to buy (I won't be including prices because that requires more theory crafting then its currently worth):
  1. Information on a random agent- This will print out a physically piece of paper which contains their real name,codename, their current identity, their current location and their current health.
  • Information a specific agent-Same as above but its on a specific agent
  • Information on everyone- Same as above but its on everyone,including you
  • Implant Hijacker- It causes the disk pinpointer implants to point at the room of a random crewmember instead of you for two minutes (This item should cost more than the disk earns you unless you are at the Data Upload location
  • Bounty-This will let you pick a crewmember and make the next bounty require their head
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #452024

i like this idea but it will never be coded