Security Citations Design Document

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Security Citations Design Document

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #449325

With the introduction of the economy, I think it's time for security to get Citations. EDIT: I should note that I'm planning to add this myself, but if someone wants to take it on they are more than welcome to do so.

This is essentially a ticket that a security officer (or someone with the equivalent authority) can issue against another person. Note that I'm calling them citations instead of tickets so as not to confuse them with our existing ahelp ticketing system.

Let's start with how this will integrate with the existing security infrastructure. A new "Citations" section is added to the individual security records view on security records console. You can add a new citation just like adding a Major or Minor crime. Enter the offense and how much the fine is. When the fine is paid, the citation can be marked as paid.

Citations can also be added with SecHUDs in a similar manner.

This brings me to two open-ended questions:

1. How are people notified of new citations issued against them
  • The easiest method is that we don't, similar to crime notes. I'm not in favor of this method.
  • We could send an automated PDA message, notifying them of the offense and the fine they have to pay. This feels like the right way to go, but it sets a precedent for using the PDA network to send automatic messages, which we don't presently do.
  • Some sort of radio headset message, similar to Centcom headset messages. I.E. "An automated voice crackles in your ear: You have been cited for 'Being a chumbis.' The fine is 400 credits". I would put this functionality in the automated arrivals announcer machine (so people could customize the messages).
2. How can they pay their fines?
  • Give a holochip to your nearest friendly security officer and let them handle marking the fine as paid. Probably ends hilariously poorly.
  • View your citations and pay them at security's Citation Kiosk, conveniently located outside the brig. Requires map edits though, which are :>
  • A link to pay your fine when the citation is announced to you, if the headset delivery method is used.
A solution that kills both of these birds is to issue security officers a citation device, that prints "holo citations". When used in-hand, the holo-citation simply shows the charge and the fine. Hit a holo-citation with a holo-chip (of equal or greater value) to pay the fine.

Notes:
  • Paid fines go into the security budget
  • Citations are tracked in the database, because that's literally the only reason I want this feature (and goon has it)
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Security Citations Design Document

Post by BeeSting12 » #449345

I'm a fan of the PDA message idea. A citation kiosk should be fine, and if you don't want to map it, I will.

edit: Make it wall mounted like a request console or newscaster.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #449362

BeeSting12 wrote:I'm a fan of the PDA message idea. A citation kiosk should be fine, and if you don't want to map it, I will.

edit: Make it wall mounted like a request console or newscaster.
Being able to pay off fines at request consoles might help them see more use
► Show Spoiler
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #449368

this sounds incredible I would cite people for the stupidest shit at all times please make it happen
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #449374

More reasons why using IDs instead of PDAs to hold accounts was a stupid idea, we need roundabout solutions to things like this instead of handling everything through a convenient and underused electronic device with a menu that everyone spawns with.

Anyway the more involved you make this the less likely it's going to be used, in my opinion the best solution is if everything can be handled remotely by both parties. If something isn't worth arresting someone for, it's probably not worth your time tracking them down for the next 15 minutes to give them a ticket. If you're going to add citation kiosks you should also add them to all security checkpoints so people don't have to waste their time going across the entire map to pay.

You should make it so if the citation isn't paid after some time (5-10 minutes) you're automatically set to arrest or else it's just another excuse for security to forcefully drag you to the brig to make you pay, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Should security records also show how much money people have in their accounts? It seems like a fittingly dystopian thing to do, fining people depending on how much money they have.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #449416

Round ended after 30 minutes, nobody paid fines.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #449419

If this doesn't plat the papers please citation noise I'm gonna riot
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #451277

sounds like a new and exciting thing for greytide to vandalize and generally make a complete mockery of, which is probably going to be the primary target of the system anyway.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #501126

Hokay, an update on this feature since the code is nearing completion:
  • Citations are currently issued via a security records console, similarly to the way major and minor crimes are added.
  • The target of a citation, if possible, is notified via a PDA message (I'm particularly proud of this since nothing else in the game sends a message to PDAs like this and I hope to bring this functionality to more machines)
  • Players can now view a read-only copy their security records at a warrant console, located outside the brig or in the law office. They can also pay off their fines there.
  • Paid off citations are logged in the standard security logs
Databasification of citations isn't in yet because I wanna get these in first and also database changes take 5ever to get through.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #501129

You should let the Captain or HoS set a percentage of each citation go to the issuing officer's accounts to incentivize use of it, and default it to like 5%. I'm sure it wouldn't be horribly abused.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #501131

>assistant breaks into tech storage for gloves
>fine him 200 bucks, probably ten times what he has
>hehe now i can arrest you for your crime AND for not paying the fine, hehehehe

meh
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #501132

terranaut wrote:>assistant breaks into tech storage for gloves
>fine him 200 bucks, probably ten times what he has
>hehe now i can arrest you for your crime AND for not paying the fine, hehehehe

meh
shouldnt of broken into tech storage huh
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #501146

if a sec officer wants to be shit and double arrest someone, he doesn't need citations to do that.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #502774

I think officers should be able to update citation fees.
I lurk quite often...
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #502776

You got a liocense for that mate
► Show Spoiler
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #502884