Puzzle Station 13

A place to record your ideas for the game.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Puzzle Station 13

Post by 4dplanner » #451918

Puzzle Pirates is a game where (almost) every task you do requires solving a puzzle. Sailing looks like this:
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/image ... ailing.png,
and carpentry looks like this:
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/image ... pentry.png.
This allows high skill ceilings for simple tasks, and adds a lot of fun - theoretically loading guns is the most boring job in the world, but the skill involved in the game makes it exciting.

How does this relate to SS13? Well, some jobs are extremely boring. EXTREMELY boring. And not only are they boring, but they are unskillful as well.
I believe one of the reasons shaft miner is so popular and fun to play is that (at least at the start) you feel you can get better at it, and evolve from gibbed newbie to robust megafauna slayer over ime.

Many other jobs are not like this: for instance genetics - click, check change, write down number, click, repeat.
Genetics could be a lot more exciting if it was decoupled from realism, and made into a puzzle - suddenly you could have good geneticists and bad geneticists, as opposed to there only being a very slight difference in how fast someone goes through the mechanical procedure.
It also becomes easier to balance; the puzzle could be designed so that you get more bad mutations mixed in the worse you play, it could take more time to get to stronger mutations, etc.
The possibilities are endless.

Genetics was just given as an example - obviously not every job should be puzzle based, but many could be improved -
Chefs could become good at the cooking puzzle and produce ☼deep fried assistant brain☼, your botanist could have more in his life than clicking a mutagen beaker on hydroponics repeatedly, and virology could EARN their space aids.

What do you think?
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Puzzle Station 13

Post by confused rock » #451937

I laughed at first but now I want to play bookworm adventures in ss13 please please please
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #452013

I do not joke in the slightest when I say this has been the best idea I have heard in a year and the only thing I'd want more than this is a slower movespeed
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #452123

1) I would unironically code this if I thought it'd actually get merged
2) Stop arguing in my thread you fucks, there's only been one (extremely handsome) legitimate responder
RandolfTheMeh
Byond Username: RandolfTheMeh

Post by RandolfTheMeh » #452215

Doctor: "Hey so this guy had a ball of uranium in his bag and now he has tumors everywhere, think you can do your thing, geneticist?"
Geneticist: "Ah, this tumor reminds me of a puzzle"
Patient: "DICKS" *twitches* *coughs*
Rarely posts
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #452239

Please keep discussion on the topic of the idea presented in the OP. Complaining about the state/usefulness of the ideas board isn't appreciated
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: