Remove Space Wizard As A Game-Mode

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Isy232
Byond Username: Isy232

Remove Space Wizard As A Game-Mode

Post by Isy232 » #455262

I want to make this quick, so here are my reasons why I think wizards is a complete shit game-mode.

1: Round instantly ends whenever a single person dies, making doing any jobs that are not related to killing the wizard pointless. Also, why RP when it is all about killing one guy.
2: Wizard often just murderbones the entire round, being dead is boring and what is the point of free golems or charlie station if the round can just end whenever.
3: There is only a SINGLE antagonist, so most people do not even interact with the antagonist or just get murderboned like previously stated.

I know I am new, but wizard is just extremely annoying to me.
I did big goof and thank Dinkle for his mercy in only giving me a 1 day ban for this incident.
Image of all of the deaths thanks to Imsxz

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Remove Space Wizard As A Game-Mode

Post by Steelpoint » #455266

There is a reason why a tub of skub spawns in the Wizards ship.

Wizard is a very, odd, gamemode. At its absolute core the gamemode is about a single, powerful, antagonist driving the events of the round. While the recent years have diluted this to an extent with the proliferation of summon events which serve to further dilute and draw power away from the central figure that being the Wizard. No other antagonist, indeed playable entity, in the game is as powerful as the Wizard. Even a Deathsquad is not guaranteed to kill a competent Wizard.

A Wizard is the truest test of the robustness and skill of the player, as the true strength of a Wizard is limited only to the skill of the player. A veteran player can be a unstoppable force of destruction as they can proceed to annihilate the entire station and its crew.

But above all, to be a Wizard is to be able to do almost anything you want, with powers bordering on admin powers at your command. It is the only role in the entire game where you can quite literally wield the power of a god and do whatever the hell you want. No other antagonist role lets you exercise as much destructive and forceful freedom and command as does a Wizard.

This tenant allows the player to exercise a brief moment of near absolute power in their ability to do whatever they will.

Of course, many people will exercise their power to cause mass death and destruction, but that is because we all crave that in some capacity, but we rarely have both the license, and the power, to do so to such strength on a individual level. But after the insanity of your first Wizard rounds wear off, you may start to embrace the insanity of the Wizard to perform more interesting tasks. Spread chaos as you transform the crew into random monsters, subvert the AI and troll the crew, kill on moment and heal another. Act truly crazy with no sense of right or wrong.

----------------------

Wizard may not be a traditional SS13 experience we stereotype of. With a lack of subterfuge, paranoid, cloak and dagger and shadowy coroporations traded out for a over the top, magic (totally not adv technology) and the pure retardation that is a Wizard.

But I personally believe, that despite its many, many flaws and frustrations, that Wizard is truly interesting and unique gamemode that can bring many good rounds, memories and experiences out of it.

Wizard is annoying. But that's the point.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #455282

Wizard is a fun for one round, has been marketed as such, and you just gotta deal with it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #455382

I spent a whole round as a wizard doing nothing but teleporting around and using shield while sec tried to lynch me for no rasin. It was a blast. Eventually I dropped my polymorph wand (I transformed my round target, the xenobiologist, into a xeno) and I was hoist by my own petard. Good fun.

Oh yeah, I released a laughter demon. Maybe that’s why they were trying to kill me.
► Show Spoiler
Isy232
Byond Username: Isy232

Post by Isy232 » #455405

Well, I see why most like it, but how about when the wizard dies the round does not immediately end. Then those who put effort into their jobs on the station do not have it all instantly made worthless.
I did big goof and thank Dinkle for his mercy in only giving me a 1 day ban for this incident.
Image of all of the deaths thanks to Imsxz

Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #455407

Expand Wiz spellset and make it announced like war ops.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #455485

Isy232 wrote:Well, I see why most like it, but how about when the wizard dies the round does not immediately end. Then those who put effort into their jobs on the station do not have it all instantly made worthless.
That literally existed and was removed for being retarded. Complain about that on nuke ops, maybe.

If anything, nuke op is more annoying than wizard because it fakes you out into thinking the round won’t suck dick. Both are very very sinilar, the problem with wizard is summob memes make more antags which makes the round longer than it needs to. At most , giving the wizard challenging/several objectives might make it more interesting for the crew to try to stol. Once you play enough wizard you hardly have to try because of how op some of your much needed panic buttons are (spatial distortion rod form here we come), but any one person can still kill a wizard if they think of a way to get past all that. Something something git gud.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #455502

confused rock wrote:
Isy232 wrote:Well, I see why most like it, but how about when the wizard dies the round does not immediately end. Then those who put effort into their jobs on the station do not have it all instantly made worthless.
That literally existed and was removed for being retarded. Complain about that on nuke ops, maybe.
This. It went down like this.
>Wiz would summon guns
>He'd summon magic
>Then he'd die.
>Now we have traitor lings with guns and magic.

It got really chaotic really fast. When one of your allies murder-bones you with a fireball and absorbs you in maint.
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #455581

Mulligan triggering after the entire crew has gotten all access, armoury guns, and possibly more depending on the wizard, and giving a bunch of random people not only antag on top of everything, but also a boatload of TC to get even more shit, is probably the definition of un-enjoyable gameplay.

At least with the summon events, the chaos is sort of expected since you know a bunch of crew is already going to be antag.

In fact, removing the antaging from summon events is just going to cause a mulligan to inevitably trigger and it'll make things really gay and lame.

Disagree with the premise of the topic. Wizard is fun, the most fun thing is playing wizard, you get to power trip for half and hour (or less if you're shit), the crew will be salty at you, but fuck them, they're salty they aren't wizard.

Murderbone wizards can be sort of gay but gimmicky wizards can be pretty fun both to fight and play as.