Miner Suit Cameras

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Miner Suit Cameras

Post by Atticat » #44809

I think it'd be cool if miners had toggleable cameras that could be viewed from the outpost camera consoles at cargo; currently they are kind of useless. You could rescue miners a lot easier that way too.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Re: Miner Suit Cameras

Post by Intigracy » #44813

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #44821

As a person whose done mining and has died to various things such Changeling miner, traitors, goliaths(very,very,very rarely) I can say this is a pretty good idea considering there are so many new miners who probably can't handle it that well.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #44861

HEY WHY DOES THAT MINER NOT HAVE HIS CAMERA ON, ROBUST HE
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #44874

They have suit sensors and GPS (which is barely used).
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44884

Great idea, yeah. Antags could still space the cameras if they remembered to do it, but then the crew would know that there is a dead miner out there and that an antag has killed them. Miners could be saved from their most common cause of death: xenos. Also cargo tends to actually care that the miners are alive, unlike most other departments.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #44903

They have the GPS, that's the only thing they need if they want their corpse to be retrieved (by telescience)
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #44904

Have it as part of their rig suit helmet. A toggle camera that shows a small area around a miner (Nearsighted camera). Give QM, RD, and HoP ability to access the camera from their offices.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #44905

How does seeing that a miner is dead in some asteroid cave make the rescue any easier? You could figure that out by calling them out on the radio, or by looking at the crew monitoring console.
Speaking of which, why don't we Instead move the console to Medbay hallway for more people to look at?
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #44908

kosmos wrote:How does seeing that a miner is dead in some asteroid cave make the rescue any easier? You could figure that out by calling them out on the radio, or by looking at the crew monitoring console.
Speaking of which, why don't we Instead move the console to Medbay hallway for more people to look at?
warns you if a goliath is standing right on top of the body you are trying to rescue. Also lets the crew keep an eye on the miners if they want.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #44929

kosmos wrote: How does seeing that a miner is dead in some asteroid cave make the rescue any easier? You could figure that out by calling them out on the radio, or by looking at the crew monitoring console.

Because most of medbay is essentially public access. And knowing where everyone is at any time is pretty dangerous info. There's a reason this info is in secure places and the circuit board is in the secure store part of tech storage.

But back to the topic, I think it be pretty neat, even in terms of some fun rp and situations. And no one's gonna robust someone simply for not having cam on in the same way no one does for not having suit sensors on. :?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #44930

kosmos wrote:How does seeing that a miner is dead in some asteroid cave make the rescue any easier? You could figure that out by calling them out on the radio, or by looking at the crew monitoring console.
The crew monitoring console only works on the same z-level. Miners on the asteroid do not appear on the station's crew monitors. There is a crew console in the West outpost's medbay area, but that is so far out of the way that it is rarely used.

That said, a portable camera kit that starts in the miners' lockers and replacements available from something (autolathe, maybe?) would be an amazing addition. It will not solve the core problems surrounding miners, though. The problem is that someone has to check up on the miners, and not many people think to do this. Miners can increase their chances by sending messages to Science with their GPS tag, asking the AI to check on their suit sensors via the asteroid monitor, or even getting a clone backup in genetics. All three of these require at least one other player to be paying attention, though. Miners have a much better chance of coming back if they make some friends before leaving!
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #44969

But then how will I get away with my mute+cryo stings as minerling?
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #44986

Take off their helmets/suits, obviously.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was