Harshness as a motivator

A place to record your ideas for the game.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Harshness as a motivator

Post by confused rock » #460587

I think one of the reasons greytide is so rampant is that there are no threats outside antags, and the few threats there are, being a dick will help protect you from. I feel like the main way to resolve this would be to add more threats to the station that will require assistance from other crewmembers to solve- things like appendicitis, maybe minor diseases that require more effort to cure so nobody is motivated to help the asshole who spaced the janitor's cart. So far, however, the only idea I have is to rework how hunger works and make it so the only consistent food sources are cargo and the chef- if you're being a shit covering the hallways in pun pun, you might not be given the right to eat, so you might not want to be the shit covering the halls in pun pun. If cloning cost something, then people might stop and think "is this guy a productive enough member of the station to be worth spending on?"

What do you think of these ideas? do you have any other thoughts on possible threats to put in place?

I was also considering reworking the research station space ruin/ ghost role to use new ideas of scarcity like this, to make it a struggle to decide and to test things on before on a larger whole.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Re: Harshness as a motivator

Post by Kryson » #460957

I would love to see this. If players are more dependent on other departments they are more likely to interact and RP with those departments.

I would even like to see something like baymed light. If the greytider needed someone to occasionally fix a broken bone or an infected wound he might not smash medbay to pieces and assault the doctors.

I think playing greytide would be MORE interesting if these types of policies were implemented due to the additional challenge.
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #461016

Not an RP server. Stop trying to make it one.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #461020

We can port Baymed once we have more competent medical players. The other day I had three people in medical all manage to fuck up revival surgery after I gave them step by step instructions on what to do. If we add baymed, a broken limb would just last the whole shift to the point where it’s easier to just die and be cloned.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #461028

The idea of this thread hinges on there being two sides: shitheads and not-shitheads.
What if the medic refuses to treat your appendicitis because they're a shithead.
What if the cook doesn't make you any food because they're a shithead.
What if both sides are shitheads.

Let's face it. This server is about being shittier than the next guy.
Finding a good guy is like finding a diamond in your poop.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461040

Zarniwoop wrote:Not an RP server. Stop trying to make it one.
Adding mechanics to enforce cooperation is the exact opposite of making it an rp server. That’d be adding rules. By your logic, left 4 dead is roleplay heavy.
I do see your point in that it doesn’t matter if everyone is garbage. At minimum, assistants have a lot of free time that they only use to welderbomb people. If assistants had to spend some time not dying, that would change things.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #461044

For cloning, it would be cool if the cloning pod requires a chemical mixture collectively known as cloning vat juice. It's a mixture of synthflesh, blood, clonexadone, neurine and some rare or difficult to make chemical. The cloning vat juice would be orderable at cargo or made in chemistry, putting a price on cloning random assistant #1289 instead of say, an engineer or doctor who could contribute to the station.

Might even be funnier to separate the chemicals into separate containers so you have to fill them all separately. Not enough synthflesh? Your patient might not have a couple limbs when he pops out. No neurine? Say hello to extreme brain damage. This type of thing would also reinforce the idea that cloning is a prototype and experimental instead of a perfectly working machine ready for the market. Also opens up the floor for traitor activities such as replacing all the blood with sulphuric acid.

In terms of food, vending machines shouldn't be able to 100% satisfy your food. Ideally, each food would have a different nutrition category they fill, some foods multiple categories, and you have to get every nutrition category filled or health issues might arise. ie. Lack of vitamin C would mean scurvy.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #461153

confused rock wrote:I think one of the reasons greytide is so rampant is that there are no threats outside antags.
It's just shit players, nothing more, nothing less. You can't fix it mechanically, trust me, I've tried. People do not care about playing the jobs anymore, just like antags do not care about the objectives.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #461183

NoxVS wrote:If we add baymed, a broken limb would just last the whole shift to the point where it’s easier to just die and be cloned.
this is actually a problem on med-high RP servers where it actually is considerably easier from a mechanical perspective to let the patient die and give them a new body, even when cloning requires biomass
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #461190

So long as taking is easier than asking adding more negative events is just going to make the station go to shit faster

You're not going to curb the tide so long as an assistant is capable of things such as single handedly and reliably gaining access to the captain quarters and secure all access within minutes of the round starting

More opportunities for cooperation is good but it's not going to solve the problem
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461202

Events, no. Events died when aurorus caelis came in. I'm thinking of something consistent that makes being an assistant hard enough without shitting on people. Hunger would be consistent, but I dunno how balanced it could be without really changing how vending machines work. Mood could definitely help, but currently mood does fuck all and none of what mood does particularly encourages or discourages stuff, all I can think of is the really wonky 'save a life' moodlet. While making mood affect little made it cause less whining when implemented, it makes mood completely ignorable.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #461205

Good opinion when it comes to medical stuff.
NoxVS wrote:We can port Baymed once we have more competent medical players. If we add baymed, a broken limb would just last the whole shift to the point where it’s easier to just die and be cloned.
Kryson wrote:I would even like to see something like baymed light.
What is it with people wanting to turn damage and medbay from a part of the game which can be dealt with by anyone competent to:
Spoiler:
come on guys step it up we need it to be so that if you're hit in the leg then you'll have internal bleeding in the lungs, minor fractures in your neck, paralysis in your eyes along with blindness, and 50 broken bones inside your brain. If I can get out of medbay in less than one hour then we're doing something fucking wrong. I want this game to be super fucking boring, guys, so I will do whatever it takes to make medbay into a 10 hour long process because someone punched you in the chest ONCE.

This shit reminds me of Duty Calls where if you're hurt then it says BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL!! Even if you think 'dude of course that's retarded' then you probably want shit that is still retarded such as 'INFECTIONS. GET STABBED ONCE? INFECTED. GONNA TAKE 30 MINUTES OR ONE CLONING SESSION, BTW IM GONNA MAKE THAT A PAIN IN THE ASS TOO SO DON'T YOU WORRY, TO GET OUT OF MEDBAY FOR THAT ONE'
No one plays this fucking server so they can discover why baymed destroys the fun out of anything that isn't serious roleplay which most people here don't ever do. I even did that shit once and I prefer doing medium rp instead of staying in medbay for 5 hours. Baymed and shit does not work on ss13, especially if it's not a HRP server. Go play some fucking arma if you want a realistic medical system or play real baystation instead of trying to get it on /tg/station.

edit: also god forbid an admin wants to do an event with anything baymed related. I have no idea how baystation can have ranged simplemobs work, if they even bother, because getting shot or hit by a real weapon with baymed may as well be a death sentence by actual death or ten hours of being healed in medbay. Do you really want all admin events to be things where it is just a few people roleplaying with each other or all combat requires everyone to carry a healing staff so they can stand a fucking chance?

edit 2: also, full baymed or baymed light, you'd still have better luck playing on a real bay server or a different server in general. Items would have to be rebalanced unless it's a really small thing that could just be ignored. This could take quite a while or your progress on doing this may be reverted and you'll wonder what the point was.
Last edited by Ayy Lemoh on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461207

I never considered baymed. The only part of medbay I've considered would be completely fucking with virology to make it more about curing common diseases than making regen coma (completely blatantly based off how lifeweb handles disease) but then again I am too stupid to put any of my ideas into play.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #461212

confused rock wrote:I never considered baymed. The only part of medbay I've considered would be completely fucking with virology to make it more about curing common diseases than making regen coma (completely blatantly based off how lifeweb handles disease) but then again I am too stupid to put any of my ideas into play.
What's your definition of a common disease?

It would be better if they were meant for curing all diseases otherwise some shit would have to be rebalanced (fungal TB/rare random event diseases being overpowered is an example).
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461219

few things:

-disease shouldn't spread as incredibly easily as it does now, if some guy has a disease it doesn't necessarily mean everyone but the guys in biosuits on internals will get it (though caution should be a good idea).

-outside random events, disease could be caught from more sources, like miasma, but mostly food if you're extremely filthy and don't wash your hands. The guy covering the halls in pun pun will probably get himself sick, and people besides the janitor might want to delimb him since he risks making them ill as well.

-stuff like good meals, spaceallin, orange juice, and rest should be able to fix most diseases unreliably. Not GBS or anything, but you'd more likely be catching more diseases that are stronger than coughing but weaker than fungal TB (shingles?)

-advanced cures would be made more similarly to how viros make the disease itself now, less of the chemistry just making one thing to cure the disease. Said cure may be in limited supply, since diseases would be harder to spread overall.

Just some basic ideas. That'd be a hard rework, but I want to keep it in my memory so once I suck less I can consider doing it. I think changing moodlets would be more feasible for me but I'm not sure how Qman and people in general would feel about that. I think I was away at the time of moods being added/the backlash, I only have vague memories.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #461222

Sounds like you're thinking of an abstraction of a natural immune system
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461244

yEaH pretty much I'd port an entire lifeweb but that dies at square one when you realise that includes stats for differing jobs, but diseases might make janitors less sad while making people less nasty. mood is something I'm considering considering now. who would be against it is what I'm thinking on. And if I'm smart enough.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #461245

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you want there to be consequences for dragging corpses around in circles while covered in blood and vomit?

What do you expect people to do? Shower and not drag corpses around? How else will the station become a disgusting mess?
► Show Spoiler
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #461250

never say this to me or my son ever again
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461255

I think people should consider being covered in blood as having downsides? That's not my main point, but I think it'd be a good way to make hygiene matter at all.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #461260

confused rock wrote:I think people should consider being covered in blood as having downsides? That's not my main point, but I think it'd be a good way to make hygiene matter at all.
Surely, the rock has gone mad with power

In all seriousness, the fact that a janitor is considered an optional job on a large corporate space station when nearly every institution in the first world has one or more custodians is something to be considered
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #462913

confused rock wrote:I think people should consider being covered in blood as having downsides? That's not my main point, but I think it'd be a good way to make hygiene matter at all.
Being covered in blood and piss makes a good excuse to have an intelligent officer arrest you, though.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #462976

haha, no
Starker
Byond Username: CStarker

Post by Starker » #463499

confused rock wrote:I think one of the reasons greytide is so rampant is that there are no threats outside antags, and the few threats there are, being a dick will help protect you from. I feel like the main way to resolve this would be to add more threats to the station that will require assistance from other crewmembers to solve- things like appendicitis, maybe minor diseases that require more effort to cure so nobody is motivated to help the asshole who spaced the janitor's cart. So far, however, the only idea I have is to rework how hunger works and make it so the only consistent food sources are cargo and the chef- if you're being a shit covering the hallways in pun pun, you might not be given the right to eat, so you might not want to be the shit covering the halls in pun pun. If cloning cost something, then people might stop and think "is this guy a productive enough member of the station to be worth spending on?"

What do you think of these ideas? do you have any other thoughts on possible threats to put in place?

I was also considering reworking the research station space ruin/ ghost role to use new ideas of scarcity like this, to make it a struggle to decide and to test things on before on a larger whole.
More rigid enforcement of Space Law would end a lot of greytiding.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #463512

Implement baymed so we can break assistants legs when they start shit.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #463516

All this shit will work against you.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
RobustAndRun
Byond Username: RobustAndRun

Post by RobustAndRun » #466802

Lumbermancer wrote:All this shit will work against you.