Misc. ghost role changes?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Misc. ghost role changes?

Post by datorangebottle » #469256

Out of all the ghost roles:

Lifebringers: good. You get to sit around and screw around with botany and bees, great for teaching people / learning the system. I wish they had ways to be proactive about interacting with miners / ashwalkers tho, like some kind of hardsuit.

Charlie Station: good. You get to teach people how to set up solars and how to combat, and can build virtually anything on the station. Kind of boring after the first time, clearing the hivebots is tedious.

Ashwalkers: REALLY good, because it provides natives to the ashland, as well as someone for miners to interact and fight that isn't fucking useless like beach brahs / vet hospital. It also provides ample building and exploring opportunities. Also, they should have a pond instead of a water tank- once their water runs out, they have to rely on exploits to farm, or raid the Lifebringers, which isn't always there. IMO it should always spawn.

Scientist syndie base: good. It allows for chem, cooking, bartending, turbine engine, combat, medicine, and virology tutorials, and the comms agent is very useful to traitors. Access to the self destruct should be limited to the comms agent, because ghosts can take the role and fuck you over by nuking everything, even if it gets you banned.

Free Golems: pretty cool, but it's not immediately clear what to do when you spawn in alone. There should be some guidance to buying the liberator's legacy, which makes it into a science tutorial. Easily has the most effect on the station, should probably have heavier restrictions. Easily the most OP ghost role.

Derelict Drones: Good. Should be on the spawners menu, since they're there every round. Tutorial to construction, but hard to access because of the time limit on joining as one- if anything, that should be removed.

Syndie Comms Agent Base: Boring. Literally just the comms agent, alone, all they can do is fuck with the station and help traitors, so they inevitably blow their brains out. Could be a telecomms tutorial if they tried to make it one. Either fix that or remove it.

Vet Hospital: has trouble surviving, let alone doing anything fun. It's easy to screw over, too, just opening the wall in the spawn room can seriously cause them trouble. Not very fun to interact with and not much they can do besides bash their faces on the nearest goliath. Should be removed. There are very few ways to improve this concept that makes sense, though they'd probably make more sense than the ashwalkers having an RCD and a singulo generator.

Beach Brahs: yah brah whaddap brah how you doin brah braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Boring. Nobody starts as this for legit reasons; last spawners I saw using this was to attempt to suicide run at Bubblegum three times because he was camping the beach. Technically bartending/cooking tutorial, but syndie base does that way better and cooking/bartending are literally wiki page jobs. Please remove.

Stranded Hermit: Difficult hardcore mode survival stuff on lavaland that allows you to start with basically nothing to do. Mediocre; the starting equipment isn't very good, IIRC, and they die to the basic bitch mining mobs. Could be worth keeping just for the challenge?

Let me know if I missed anything.
Last edited by datorangebottle on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Misc. ghost role changes?

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469257

>he wants to remove beach bois
get outta here
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #469261

PKPenguin321 wrote:>he wants to remove beach bois
get outta here
They're shit, and it feelsbad when you die and you can only be beach bois, vet, or hermit.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #469267

All slimes can ventcrawl afaik
Swarmers are roundending because they eat EVERYTHING and you never know if they're gone or not
Lifebringers can probably technically survive with glowshrooms but yeah they need tanks (note: lavaland pressure isn't damaging, you just need o2)
Charlie should have less hivebots but lower starting power or the sci area not connected to the main powernet with the the solars, so setting up non-solar power or running a wire is more urgent
Comms agent being a tcomms tutorial would be really cool but hard to do
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #469308

If you're counting slimes, you should probably count rev, nukeop, ninja, blob, sentient disease, and pirates.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #469341

Rev isn't a ghost role, but sometimes bodies get offered by admins if a player leaves
Random events shouldn't count, slimes are created during certain fires
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #469387

4dplanner wrote:If you're counting slimes, you should probably count rev, nukeop, ninja, blob, sentient disease, and pirates.
True. I can get rid of that suggestion. Swarmers, too, since they're similar. Sorry for diluting the thread's point.

datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #469402

I would like other peoples' opinions on the roles and the changes I've suggested.

zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #469478

somerandomguy wrote:Rev isn't a ghost role, but sometimes bodies get offered by admins if a player leaves
Random events shouldn't count, slimes are created during certain fires
Revs, in this context, is probably revenant, as opposed to revolutionary. The former is certainly a ghost role (though not one that shows up in the spawners list).
datorangebottle wrote:I would like other peoples' opinions on the roles and the changes I've suggested.
I agree with mostly everything you said. I've never had the urge to spawn as a vet or beach bum, or that survivor thing. I did once stumble upon the animal hospital in a mech and rescued the vet that spawned, and a bit of neat RP was had between them, a borg, and myself as I carried them out in locker loaded into the mech's cargo bay. But really, that was one round in the year or so I've played, and I think golems and ash walkers offer more base fun value.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #469488

>wanting to get rid of solo comms agent
of the handful of rounds that I've actually played since that shit was added they were easily the most fun I've had
all you need to do is realise SS13 is a roleplaying game and fucking roleplay

unless that's too hard for nu/tg/
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #469519

DemonFiren wrote:>wanting to get rid of solo comms agent
of the handful of rounds that I've actually played since that shit was added they were easily the most fun I've had

The other comms agent would stay
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #469527

Lifebringers have all they need to conquer lavaland, they just need to grow it. Space tobacco to survive no oxygen, earthsblood+mannitol for heals, killer tomatoes/gatfruit for weapons. They don't need a hardsuit.

And leave golems alone.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #469994

DemonFiren wrote:>wanting to get rid of solo comms agent

I'm sorry, but sitting in a cubicle literally talking to people over the radio and spying on them isn't my idea of fun. If they had literally anything else to do while talking to people, I'd be totally okay with solo comms agent. The social roles on the station are actually there, and they can run around and do various projects. Comms agent gets to just sit there.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #470004

keyword being your idea of fun
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #470167

DemonFiren wrote:keyword being your idea of fun
Shrug dude. You can do the exact same thing on the syndie science base.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #470880

Yeah but the thing is, there's no point in removing those roles because you don't *have* to join as them.

It just seems like sour grapes on your part that you don't always get the ghost roles available that you want is all.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #472910

How is that sour grapes
Devily
Byond Username: Redusk

Post by Devily » #474004

It's not sour grapes, it's a matter of feature creep.
There are too many features that are either pointless or take away spotlight from good features.
I personally would like to remove both vets and bums if only because they add nothing to the round and are a literal "I died at lavaland, let me respawn with this and retrieve my stuff" kind of deal and I agree ashwalkers should have a more permanent spot but should also have a specific order to never leave lavaland under any circumstances... or just straight up kill them if they are not in a map without their tendril in it.

Generally, I'd agree to remove pointless respawns to the rng and just let the ones that exist get the spot.
Th3rapist
Byond Username: Yankowitz

Post by Th3rapist » #474946

I'd like to see more of lavaland ghost roles, and expand on the existing ones, notably the ashwalkers, give them some sort of meaningful progression system, make them a bit more powerful. In turn, I would also like to see them restricted to only being able to live on lavaland, make them actually breathe the gasses in the atmosphere, unable to get onto the station without someone deliberately helping them to do so. I always liked the idea of the miners being in the middle of some territorial conflict with the local tribe of murderous lizards fighting against the dwarf fortress veterinarians.

Basically, make them the kings of their own realm, while unable to survive outside it.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #474948

Ashwalkers getting onto the station can be loads of fun and it's terrible that you want to remove it. Sometimes you start a war with people that have way better fighting tech than you, sometimes you try to solid-snake your way to the morgue and steal bodies without being found. Sometimes you grab a gas mask and a fire suit and a discarded ID and see how long you can last before the crew figures you out.

You want to remove all the fun parts of ash liggers because you're unable to fight a bunch of natives wielding sticks.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #474967

Devily wrote:It's not sour grapes, it's a matter of feature creep.
There are too many features that are either pointless or take away spotlight from good features.
I personally would like to remove both vets and bums if only because they add nothing to the round and are a literal "I died at lavaland, let me respawn with this and retrieve my stuff" kind of deal and I agree ashwalkers should have a more permanent spot but should also have a specific order to never leave lavaland under any circumstances... or just straight up kill them if they are not in a map without their tendril in it.

Generally, I'd agree to remove pointless respawns to the rng and just let the ones that exist get the spot.
once again this is just an opinion, there are plenty of people who enjoy the roles you find pointless.

That's what makes it sour grapes.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #475788

Th3rapist wrote:make them a bit more powerfu
They can already pilot mechs and use any melee weapons they're able to get ahold of. The only buff they could benefit from which wouldn't push them overboard would be the ability to damage lavaland mobs with thrown spears - encouraging more fauna hunting that isn't guaranteed to endanger them.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #475793

My only complaints about the current lavaland ghost role system is the rare case of 2 xeno ruins spawning completely fucking over any chance of ghost roles spawning.

Restricting the xeno ruin to 1 spawn would solve that problem.

I dislike beach bums, as there is really no direction to them and the language barrier makes roleplay impossible.

Doctors are fine, but could do with being re-flavored. Make them an independent colony? Basically turn them from the shitty meme reference to something a bit more in-universe.

Derelict drones need resources to build or an SM to test with. The Derelict would be the perfect place for an SM tutorial.

Other ghost roles are fine. Maybe give ashwalkers a pond for water and hide washing so they can actually make leather.
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #476037

Dr_bee wrote:My only complaints about the current lavaland ghost role system is the rare case of 2 xeno ruins spawning completely fucking over any chance of ghost roles spawning.

Restricting the xeno ruin to 1 spawn would solve that problem.

I dislike beach bums, as there is really no direction to them and the language barrier makes roleplay impossible.

Doctors are fine, but could do with being re-flavored. Make them an independent colony? Basically turn them from the shitty meme reference to something a bit more in-universe.

Derelict drones need resources to build or an SM to test with. The Derelict would be the perfect place for an SM tutorial.

Other ghost roles are fine. Maybe give ashwalkers a pond for water and hide washing so they can actually make leather.
All of these are great ideas. Move the beach ruin to space or something though, it's fun for admemes once in a while. I've seen beach bums make it to the station I think a total of two times, and they're usually hunted by bored validhunters.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #476671

I have yet another new idea.

Rework ashwalkers to not rely on sacrifices, so that they can be the indigenous peoples of lavaland without being actively encouraged by their flavor text to go to the station and murder everyone on it. Ghost roles shouldn't be free murderboner tickets- this is why the syndicate comms agents are pretty much forbidden from leaving their station.

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #476675

I don't like beach bums because there's no real point to it, roleplay wise or mechanically. One could say it's a good drinks tutorial but the Syndicate lavaland base has a bar for that so it's not really needed, making it kind of a dumb out of place looking meme. At least the rest of the ruins look like they fit somewhat in the universe, this one's just like ???.

Vet hospital suffers from the problem of no one being there to get healed... in an entirely medical based ruin. Should remove it entirely off of that issue. I guess some like the challenge of trying to survive on lavaland with the medical supplies and stuff plus it makes a good loot pinata for miners so w/e.

Solo comms agent's niche is also taken up by the lavaland base so I'm not sure why it exists, but I don't mind the redundancy since it's still one of the funner things to do as a ghost role.

The rest of them are fine imo.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
bring back lavaland prisoners
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #476677

Ghost roles make me feel really confused.

Either they're antags, who can grief and do what they like as long as they don't ERP.

Or they're nonantags, who still. Metagame but in a "free respawn" sense.

Sometimes the antags do the second one as well.

How do we solve this conundrum? Do we just prevent ghosts from being able to see lavaland? I feel like if we do that, we could enable more features for ghost roles. With less of a feeling, that's like, "If I give a ghost role this. How can they abuse it on station?" And more of. "Sure this ghost role can have this, but I doubt they'll find the station anyways with it."
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #476683

I think it’d be kinda cool if we added little things in the game to give ash lizards advantages on lavaland but disadvantages on the station. Say instead of them just not breathing, they require a very low amount of oxygen, and are slowly poisened by the oxygen rich environment aboard the station. Maybe artificial lights hurt their eyes, with some sort of blinding effect after prolonged exposure without sunglasses. Maybe mood debuffs for leaving lavaland (I miss the wastes), and debuffs if they go 10-20 minutes without sacrificing something to the nest.

I think it’d also be really cool to give them: “ash crafting abilities”, basically they can make lavaland sand into stuff. Unique things useful in the wastes which only they can make, might encourage trading between them and miners/other ghost roles. Little stuff like “fauna blinding powder”, a thrown item which makes stuff like goliaths and watchers ignore you for a brief amount of time.
[this space reserved]
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #477978

wesoda25 wrote:I think it’d be kinda cool if we added little things in the game to give ash lizards advantages on lavaland but disadvantages on the station. Say instead of them just not breathing, they require a very low amount of oxygen, and are slowly poisened by the oxygen rich environment aboard the station. Maybe artificial lights hurt their eyes, with some sort of blinding effect after prolonged exposure without sunglasses. Maybe mood debuffs for leaving lavaland (I miss the wastes), and debuffs if they go 10-20 minutes without sacrificing something to the nest.

I think it’d also be really cool to give them: “ash crafting abilities”, basically they can make lavaland sand into stuff. Unique things useful in the wastes which only they can make, might encourage trading between them and miners/other ghost roles. Little stuff like “fauna blinding powder”, a thrown item which makes stuff like goliaths and watchers ignore you for a brief amount of time.
This is an idea. I'm just tired of them running over to the station and using their flavor text as an excuse to be respawned murderboners.

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #480555

I dunno, I think that it gives sec somethin to do, if all miners fail to stop them with their kas and the entire station falls to some lizards who can't use guns or wear shoes then that'd be ridiculous
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #480563

Ash lizard station invasions are fun and interesting; don't remove/nerf into oblivion them. They can also add some spice to Extended rounds, which I think is good.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #480579

who would win: an overpowered invasion of FREE ANTAGS from the hellworld

or

a broken window
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #480788

still inaccurate, underpowered invasion of free antags
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #482469

I think that the Lone Comms base should get a space suit (or similar suit) and lavaland base ore refining machine, so they can actually use the damn mining gear they get. Maybe some extra mats. It'd allow lone comms agents to build a small autism fort in their astroid when bored. It'd still allow the base to be destroyed because even if you dig out the entire astroid and turn it into a fortress, it's one guy defending it and the astroid is conveniently maxcap sized.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #482519

Intentionally not given a suit.
legoscape
Byond Username: Legoscape

Post by legoscape » #489133

If I remember clearly there use to be a dwarf on the lavaland where he makes brews out of plump-helmets and he forges mighty weapons and tools, That was removed some time ago for some reason.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #489140

Bring back dorfs

Biased opinion because : I was taking a break and missed dorf hype.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #489174

Vet's de facto role is to second life, and so is beach bum with the caveat that you can't engrish.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #489245

Cobby wrote:Vet's de facto role is to second life, and so is beach bum with the caveat that you can't engrish.
Beach bums need to be given english, there is no point to a role in a roleplaying game that cant fucking roleplay.

Also vets is probably the only human ghost role on lavaland you can actually use to just survive there, the rest dont have enough resources.
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Post by knacker48 » #489619

I've always found it weird that ashwalkers can speak english but beach bums can't
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #489833

can talk to other bums and that's all that counts, roles running to the station are usually cancer.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #489866

confused rock wrote:can talk to other bums and that's all that counts, roles running to the station are usually cancer.
Im not talking about RP with the station, Im talking about RP with other lavaland denizens and miners. It is very hard to have a party with the free golems when you cant tell them where the party is located/