Remote ID Access Logging

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Remote ID Access Logging

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469959

The Problem
All access is a dangerous thing for a round, because not only does it give all access (obviously), but it can give other IDs all access. This can kill rounds quickly if left unchecked, and past ideas to solve it have usually involved stuff like removing all access as a concept or removing the spare ID from the maps.
My idea to fix this is a new computer, the Remote ID Management Central Database or something (the name isn't that important). It would work similar to how the telecomms logging computer works, where you access it with a text password rather than an ID. The HoP would start with the password on a sheet of paper in his office, and it would be randomly generated each round. Every time an ID is used to open an airlock, that action is logged to this computer (assuming the computer is not broken).

Logged ID usages do not outright show the label on the ID, however. Instead, each ID has a hidden string (something like "ADF159JEI"), and labels (and unique hidden strings) are shown for the airlocks. An example log entry would read something like, "ADF159JEI opened Brig Airlock (ID:812)". You would be able to see the last 250 log entries, or sort them by department (so that you only see security airlocks or engineering airlocks, for example).

The console would have another screen, the Remote ID Access Management screen. By manually typing in (or copy pasting) an IDs unique hidden string (hereafter UHS), you would be able to remotely access that ID and wipe out all of its access. You could also place a label on it manually, which would then be appended to any further mentions of the UHS in the logs.

This means that if you know somebody has illicit access or a stolen ID and you know the general vicinity of where they are, you could observantly watch the logs on this console, determine which ID is theirs (or a cluster of IDs that could be theirs), and wipe their access before they can spread it to everybody else. It would take a degree of effort to do instead of being a one-click thing (which has been suggested), while also still being very robust.

There is another feature that the console would have: ID Console Logging and Management. ID console logins and logouts would be logged, showing only the UHS of the ID used to authenticate the console. An example log entry might be, "ADF159JEI logged in to ID Console (ID:525)". You would not be able to see the UHS of the modified ID, however, so there still exists a degree of counterplay to this for antags who are trying to sneak all access.

This screen would also allow you to issue a temporary lockout. All ID active consoles would be listed and selectable. Selecting an ID console that currently has an ID with valid identification in it will cause that console to be locked out, preventing any access modifications to be made for the next three minutes. A lockout could be issued every five minutes. This way, mass clusters of people (maybe revs or cultists) could be temporarily prevented from editing IDs at an ID console and potentially stopped if sec can arrive on time.

A final feature would be an ID scanner device that can be used on an ID to reveal its UHS. It could also be used on airlocks or ID Consoles to get their IDs. The HoP could start with this and use it to label his own ID or the IDs of people that come to line for access.

tl;dr:
- all access is really strong, spreads like a virus, and theres no real way to fix it besides calling the shuttle
- to fix this, we should add a new console that keeps logs of every time an airlock is opened with an ID
- the console would also log any logins on existing ID Consoles
- if youre observant, you can single out an ID on this console and wipe its access remotely
- if there is an authorization ID left inside of an ID Console, you can temporarily lockout that ID Console remotely
- this console would require a plaintext password that the HoP would start with in his locker, like telecomms logging
- this should help prevent rounds being destroyed by everybody getting all access

ms paint mockup of what the main screen could look like:
Spoiler:
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Remote ID Access Logging

Post by zxaber » #469965

For the record, I am currently about three-quarters through the first pass for a PR that would allow HoP-Level access to wipe all basic and silver IDs, and activates a recovery mode on the PDA's that would allow crew to load the job title and shift-start access list from their PDAs onto the now-blank card. There are some specifics, and things to stop people from simply replacing the job title stored on their PDA, but that will all be listed in the PR whenever I get done.

Point is, I don't think my "nuke the access" button has to be exclusive with this idea, and I think a whole console based around tracking down one or two AA owners would be neat. While I'm currently tacking my function onto the ID console, it could certainly be moved to the ID Logging console if and when this gets coded.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
TheDracheX
Byond Username: TheDracheX1

Post by TheDracheX » #470016

Last edited by TheDracheX on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #470039

I like this idea. The layer of detective work makes it a lot more interesting than a simple "remove access" button. I can imagine a HoP asking the detective to tail someone to figure out their ID number.
Spoiler:
HoPImage
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #470068

Good idea penguin
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #470082

oranges wrote:Good idea penguin
thanks. i would code it but tgui is entirely undocumented
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #470122

Might not be easy but I suggest that only the Captain should be able to wipe the ID off of a Silver Head of Staff ID card, by that I mean the physical Captains ID card not the HoP's all access spare he has.
Gousaid67
Byond Username: Gousaid67

Post by Gousaid67 » #470474

So Whats stopping a traitor HoP from pretty much wiping the access of every ID he sees in the access logs? i feel like this could be abused easily to remove most oppositions barring the heads of staff, hell even a rando dando assistant with the HoP ID and the key could do the same.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #470480

I feel like the detective should start with a nerfed version of the computer that only gives the logs. This might encourage further detective work from the detective
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #470540

Gousaid67 wrote:So Whats stopping a traitor HoP from pretty much wiping the access of every ID he sees in the access logs? i feel like this could be abused easily to remove most oppositions barring the heads of staff, hell even a rando dando assistant with the HoP ID and the key could do the same.
if somebody starts zapping IDs at random, I would think that people will notice and start lynching the HoP. If an assistant somehow got his hands on the console password, which the HoP shouldn't ever let happen if he's even half-competent, that could be trouble, yes.

Since this is still just in the ideas phase, maybe when an ID is wiped they get an alert that the access is being deleted, and it isn't actually removed until a minute later so that rogue HoPs can't trap people at random. Maybe a short cooldown between ID wipes would be good, too.
Spoiler:
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #470553

If someone with AA notices the deletion before it happens they can just give more ids all access
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #470557

somerandomguy wrote:If someone with AA notices the deletion before it happens they can just give more ids all access
Yeah but now you know where they are going to go next and plan for it!
Booktower
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Booktower

Post by Booktower » #470633

You could just lock out all the other consoles, the lockout lasts 3 minutes after all.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #471844

I'm still open to coding this, provided somebody can tell me where I can find documentation on coding UIs
Spoiler:
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #472893

Pizzatiger wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:If someone with AA notices the deletion before it happens they can just give more ids all access
Yeah but now you know where they are going to go next and plan for it!
Oh boy now we know the cultist is going to the cult base's hidden console we can definitely use this information to stop them
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #511431

Bumping an old thread here, I still think this is a really neat idea and it's sad that it's kind of just rotting down here

I'll give $20 to anybody that can make some solid documentation and a comprehensive guide to creating tgui interfaces
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #511438

Fuck man this would be the biggest nerf to my murderboner playstyle I've seen yet.

It's a great idea and makes total sense. I'm amazed no one came up with it before.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman