Bolt action rifles (sprites included)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Bolt action rifles (sprites included)

Post by leibniz » #47952

To celebrate the end of the freeze we could add bolt action rifles.

I proposed on the previous forum and validsalad made some sprites for it too, but since the community got split etc. things got mixed up, so now I am trying to resurrect this.

How it would work:
(in general they are similar to shotguns)
1. Pick up loaded rifle
2. Point at target and shoot
3. Click gun to eject empty casing and chamber the next round
4. Repeat firing until empty
5. Use clip (not magazine) on gun to insert ammo
6. Click on the gun to chamber the first round
(I dont have freedumbs so if I am wrong about this feel free to correct me)

The rifle should be large, carried on back slots and combat (syndicate, mabye sec?) hardsuit slots.
The bullet should do the same damage as the revolver bullets (maybe more?), since the weapon is more cumbersome and harder to fire it isnt really a balance issue.

It would be nice to spawn a bunch of syndicates and give them rifles to storm the station with no other equipment.

Also, bayonets would be cool too but I imagine it would be difficult to implement that nicely without snowflake code.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Bolt action rifles (sprites included)

Post by Grazyn » #47953

leibniz wrote: It would be nice to spawn a bunch of syndicates and give them rifles to storm the station with no other equipment.
One out of two gets rifle. The one with rifle shoots. The one without follows him. When the one with rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up rifle and shoots
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #47955

Seems like a resprited shotgun to me
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #47956

Having a real sniper rifle that can zoom in on a target from across the map would be cool. You could sit in space outside escape and scope the escape hallway. Boom 360 headshot all day.
Pomf123
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Pomf123

Post by Pomf123 » #47957

In the year 2525, we have energy guns, lasers, get power from blackholes and by burning an extremely energy dense material that can easily go from solid to liquid to gas at any temperature, yet we still require manual levers for a gun. I understand that ballistics have a place even in da future but hundreds of years of technology improvements you'd think the act of manually chambering a round is nonexistant.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #47958

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Seems like a resprited shotgun to me
Codewise, that's what they'd be. A magfed firearm that needs a "pump" between shots. Similar to how the double-barrel shotgun is actually a revolver in-code.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #47959

Perakp wrote:Having a real sniper rifle that can zoom in on a target from across the map would be cool. You could sit in space outside escape and scope the escape hallway. Boom 360 headshot all day.
Baycode has this, the LWAP. It's actually energy based.
:^)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #47961

Wouldn't a bayonet attachment just be well, an attachment, that increases it's melee damage>
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #47964

Dat mosin

I support Moist Nugget Station 13
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #47967

I'm all for it if this can be deconned and with the appropriate levels, can allow R&D to produce some sort of Plasma Rifle.

This IS a plasma research station, and even to this day have seen no mention of the use of plasma excitation/ionization/electrification. Or maybe an advanced version of this can be made into a Gauss/coilgun.

I still see some practical use to ballistic weapons in the future. They can be shot underwater, in space, almost anywhere, because the gun powder, typically based off of potassium nitrate has self-oxidizing components. I do remember the thread on the old forum for that Mosin-Nagant and loved it. Maybe it could be reinforced or upgraded, like a plasteel/futuristic version because that would make it reasonable to have, even if it is just a new sprite.
I also see this as complimentary to the modular reciever and the wooden stock. While unrelated, it would only make sense that they would be the components to such a rifle.

EDIT: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That "adding" a bayonet would mean a sprite overlay+an increase in force. And that the attack verbs would change from "butted", "bashed", "whacked" to "stabbed", "slashed", and "ripped". And the force could be 11 and with bayonet 19?
Last edited by Fragnostic on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #47973

Fragnostic wrote:I'm all for it if this can be deconned and with the appropriate levels, can allow R&D to produce some sort of Plasma Rifle.

This IS a plasma research station, and even to this day have seen no mention of the use of plasma excitation/ionization/electrification. Or maybe an advanced version of this can be made into a Gauss/coilgun.

I still see some practical use to ballistic weapons in the future. They can be shot underwater, in space, almost anywhere, because the gun powder, typically based off of potassium nitrate has self-oxidizing components. I do remember the thread on the old forum for that Mosin-Nagant and loved it. Maybe it could be reinforced or upgraded, like a plasteel/futuristic version because that would make it reasonable to have, even if it is just a new sprite.
I also see this as complimentary to the modular reciever and the wooden stock. While unrelated, it would only make sense that they would be the components to such a rifle.
Yeah I guess giving it a tech origin doesnt hurt but I didnt really consider this important because I was thinking of it as an adminspawned item, not sure how it fits into standard gameplay right now.

Oh yes, it should be in the surplus crate worth around as much as the stetchkin.
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #48115

It could be found in an artifact room

The idea of miners playing STALKER seems too good to pass up.

It doesn't seem that overpowered even if it fired the LMG projectile, since the unrobust take a long time to recock the shotgun anyway and this functions the same way, on top of the five round mag.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #48144

I thought those kinda of bolt action rifles had some kinda spring that auto-loaded each round? Do you really need to pull the bolt back manually each time?
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #48150

Alex Crimson wrote:I thought those kinda of bolt action rifles had some kinda spring that auto-loaded each round? Do you really need to pull the bolt back manually each time?
Well, there are many kind of rifles, for example look at this (the sprites were made after this) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHxlthSvVJI
But here is one like you mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMBQwcsW9PU

I guess we could have both, like, recolor the sprites slightly for the second one, maybe give it a red tint.
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #48228

It could be part of guncrafting stuff.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #48258

Pomf123 wrote:In the year 2525, we have energy guns, lasers, get power from blackholes and by burning an extremely energy dense material that can easily go from solid to liquid to gas at any temperature, yet we still require manual levers for a gun. I understand that ballistics have a place even in da future but hundreds of years of technology improvements you'd think the act of manually chambering a round is nonexistant.
One possibility would be to have it start as a sort of decoration thing, kind of like the captain's laser. Maybe it could start on a plaque in the HOS' S office?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #48502

Fragnostic wrote:I'm all for it if this can be deconned and with the appropriate levels, can allow R&D to produce some sort of Plasma Rifle.
Why does everything you have to suggest have to directly benefit Science?

It's metal, wood, and gunpowder. Deconstructing it should remove levels of research because of how low-tech it is.

More on topic: making it randomly available to the crew or others seems dumb. Once the novelty of NEW THING NEW THING wore off I doubt anyone would bother with something so cumbersome. Not to mention it doesn't really fit the normal aesthetic/theme of the station.

As something to just have in the code for badminnery and etc. though? Why not?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #48519

Fragnostic only plays sci and makes bombs so
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #48595

An0n3 wrote:
Why does everything you have to suggest have to directly benefit Science?

It's metal, wood, and gunpowder. Deconstructing it should remove levels of research because of how low-tech it is.

More on topic: making it randomly available to the crew or others seems dumb. Once the novelty of NEW THING NEW THING wore off I doubt anyone would bother with something so cumbersome. Not to mention it doesn't really fit the normal aesthetic/theme of the station.

As something to just have in the code for badminnery and etc. though? Why not?
I still say make it a rare artifact. An ammo cutoff on top of how hard it would be to get one should offset the high damage.
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #48597

Should be able to saw it off for a Russian pistol.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #48682

We do have a Derelect Russian station. Seems like it'd make sense for them to proudly display glorious Soviet rifle somewhere on their station
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #48686

An0n3 wrote:Why does everything you have to suggest have to directly benefit Science?
paprika wrote:Fragnostic only plays sci and makes bombs so
I do R&D before faffing about in Toxins, and it got really old to just decon some mech equipment or open tech storage. It's no longer a quest for levels. I don't want more challenge because rounds in Sybil are short, so doing anything !FUN! is hard, just rare things like this to decon.

And really, Pap? I played assistant a lot until I got jobbaned and I haven't made a TTV bomb for the longest. I've actually started playing Security recently and love it. Haven't been bitched about in OOC or called a shitcurity.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #48749

Wizardjenkins66 wrote:Should be able to saw it off for a Russian pistol.
Nyet, tovarish. Space Pistol is best pistol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TP-82
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #48778

If we add the ability to saw down the rifle it should make anyone standing near the gun when it fires catch fire, including the person who fired it.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #48793

Over the course of 500 years we can make assumptions that ballistic weapons of the future use some form of advance magnetic acceleration in order to be far more effective in stopping and killing power.

One idea I have is that while Old Earth weapons (In this case the glorious Mosin Nagant) can still be lethal on humans, if fired on someone wearing armour it will deal almost negligible damage. We can assume that 500 years in defensive advances means that modern armour is capable of easily shrugging off weapons from the 21st century.

What this means is that "Old Earth" weapons have a tag where they deal only about 5 points of damage on a target wearing armour.
qwert

Post by qwert » #48809

Steelpoint wrote:Over the course of 500 years we can make assumptions that ballistic weapons of the future use some form of advance magnetic acceleration in order to be far more effective in stopping and killing power.

One idea I have is that while Old Earth weapons (In this case the glorious Mosin Nagant) can still be lethal on humans, if fired on someone wearing armour it will deal almost negligible damage. We can assume that 500 years in defensive advances means that modern armour is capable of easily shrugging off weapons from the 21st century.

What this means is that "Old Earth" weapons have a tag where they deal only about 5 points of damage on a target wearing armour.
I thought, that spesslorewise one of NT features was having technology for energy weapons, while others have to use shittier gunpowder weaponry because they are not hightech enough for something more then revolver.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #48811

There's no set lore on the difference between Ballistic and Energy weapons, at least for our lore.

In my mind I like to think that ballistic weapons of the 2500's use magnetic acceleration to achieve their deadliness, think of it as more of a railgun than a gunpowder weapon. I take inspiration from Xenonauts (Xcom inspired game) where after researching plasma weapons the final weapon tier is infact a weapon tier called MAG Guns which are even more powerful than the Alien weapons.

I could go on in thinking that SS13 energy weapons are a new research field, which would explain why Energy weapons cannot be reloaded or why most weapon research from RnD is laser based and not ballistic based.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #48856

>guns use magnetic acceleration instead of gunpowder
>when you fire a gun, empty shell falls out

i think you're wrong
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
qwert

Post by qwert » #48865

Miauw wrote:>guns use magnetic acceleration instead of gunpowder
>when you fire a gun, empty shell falls out

i think you're wrong
That 26 th century shell contains small oneshot particle accelerator , which starts up small singularity in shell, then little radiation collector converts the radiation into energy and sends it to the magnetic accelerators of revolver through some wireless 26 th century thing, so the gun fires. Then the shell ejects, meanwhile the shell bluespace teleportation device teleports the miniaturized singularity into random location of universe for safety.

Thats how you replace gunpoweder in 26th century.
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #48965

If it had a tech origin it'd probably be
Magnets: 5
Combat: 6
Data Theory: 4
This is a real thing. Gauss guns are near-silent, non-rifled, recoiless, electronic ballistic guns.
As of now, our means of spontaneously generating electricity at fast enough rate(safely) is the only real limitation to making this just as lethal as a traditional ballistic rifled gun. One would assume that In the future, this problem would be solved and that a power cell in the future can keep this gun powered for a very long time while the only real drawback would be the ammunition, some sort of steel penetrator in a magazine.
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #48975

The bolt action rifle would be still powerful, see the L4, but current 'combat doctrine' puts a heavy emphasis on rapid fire and stuns, which the rifle can do neither. Hell the Syndicate have a special 'blunt headed' .45 round that's developed just to knock a target down in a single shot just to match the e-guns
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #48997

ballistic weapons already exist in spades in ss13, i dont know where the idea came from that they should be less effective or outdated. almost all of them do more damage than normal energy-based weapons.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49003

Hence why I put forward the idea of Magnetic Acceleration as to why Ballistic weapons are still relevant and powerful in the 2500's.
miggles

Post by miggles » #49039

except every single example leads to proof that they're still just normal ballistic weapons using gunpowder and traditional mechanisms
cartridges look like normal cartridges, guns eject casings, on pistols the slide locks back when its empty, etc
used shotgun shells have visible powder residue, as well
i could go on but seriously, its pointless

body armor in the future doesnt seem to have any special qualities compared to modern day armor, either. they both look very similar and provide (what we can assume) are similar protection values.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49047

Using Xenonauts as a example, when research on Laser Guns was finished the Chief Scientist decided to mold the design to better emulate how traditional Ballistic weapons function. The reason being that it would be far easier to wield the newer Laser Weapons if they looked and acted similar to Ballistic Weapons.

Just because you've replaced the gunpowder with magnetic acceleration does not mean the operation of a firearm changes.

The whole reason I'm going on this tagent about the difference between a 19th century Weapon and a 26th century Weapon is to present my idea that the older weapons should deal very little damage to modern armour, this would mean we can more easily allow the existence of these older weapons as they would not be easily available guns that can dunk Security.

Also, saying that the 26th century armour is not better than 21st century armour because it looks similar is something I disagree with. The properties of armour can change even if the style of it does not.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #49051

So does someone feel like coding any of this?
Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

Post by Saintish » #49054

In traditional sci-fi settings, ballistic weapons are used because they go through shields - one example being Star Wars. Just gonna pop in and say that.

EDIT: also Liebniz is right, who wants to code this? It could just use revolver code, I guess.
it's a great addition, even if it's only admin-spawnable
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #49253

leibniz wrote:So does someone feel like coding any of this?
It's just a shotgun codewise other than the stripper clip which could be taken from the revolver.
miggles

Post by miggles » #49260

Steelpoint wrote:Using Xenonauts as a example, when research on Laser Guns was finished the Chief Scientist decided to mold the design to better emulate how traditional Ballistic weapons function. The reason being that it would be far easier to wield the newer Laser Weapons if they looked and acted similar to Ballistic Weapons.

Just because you've replaced the gunpowder with magnetic acceleration does not mean the operation of a firearm changes.

The whole reason I'm going on this tagent about the difference between a 19th century Weapon and a 26th century Weapon is to present my idea that the older weapons should deal very little damage to modern armour, this would mean we can more easily allow the existence of these older weapons as they would not be easily available guns that can dunk Security.

Also, saying that the 26th century armour is not better than 21st century armour because it looks similar is something I disagree with. The properties of armour can change even if the style of it does not.
but the properties havent changed, though. if you look at the armor values most of them dont have great bullet protection except for the bulletproof vest. the normal armor vest and the hos coat both only have 50% laser protection, meaning they are only capable of blocking half the damage of the most common projectile weapon on the station. this isn't taking into account the armor values on the jumpsuits, of course, but if you actually look at the armor values of the armor itself it speaks nothing for its "26th century quality"
also saying that our guns are totally magnetic based on a reference to an old scifi game is just grasping for straws, tbh. you can keep your headcanon, but at least realize there is almost nothing backing it up in game.
and i disagree that these weapons should be more common. there's only 2 on station by default, the bartender's shotgun, and the detective's pistol. they're special. and they can be very deadly, but usually they arent used for that purpose. arbitrarily putting more somewhere so that people have access to weapons and then making them shit against armor for some reason doesnt make sense. that's just promoting people to kill each other. compared to the revolver and shotgun, which both start with stun ammo, a bolt action rifle would probably use real ammo, which would be deadly. and if it used stun ammo, still, thats just another ranged stun for people to use.
if they were orderable from cargo, that would be much better. they'd basically fulfill the same purpose as a shotgun loaded with slugs, but with the caveat that they have more max ammo and load from clips, not shell-by-shell.