Replace walk toggle with "staggered" indicator / mobility toggle.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
nullbear
Byond Username: Nullbear

Replace walk toggle with "staggered" indicator / mobility toggle.

Post by nullbear » #476364

Davidchan wrote:Implement an acceleration system for the movement speed. When you move (from standstill) you start walking at the pace of a one legged cripple, and every tenth of a second you are moving in a straight line increases your speed until after a few seconds you'll be trucking along at full speed. If you're going over half speed then running into walls, closed doors or other solid objects (like people) will knock you down and do damage to you and what ever you collided with, and moving to fast and trying to turn can cause a similar result.
But more seriously, walking toggle is stupid.

Make it so that if a certain amount of time has passed since you last moved, then your next step is automatically considered 'walking'.

This would make it so that if you're damaged and limping at a pace that is already slower than walking, then you are automatically considered walking for the purposes of damage/slips etc.

It would also make it so that you could just tap-wait-tap-wait-tap (instead of holding the key down) to walk across a small field of janitor placed mop-mines, freeing up a hotkey, improving the control scheme a bit, and possibly repurposing the walk HUD button. I have a few other plans for it already.

- as per title. Button would show as an indicator as to whether your next step is considered 'walking' or if you are currently "staggered", a debuff that makes you vulnerable to slips/knockdowns.

Clicking the button would briefly toggle (3 seconds?) A mobility function, automatically climbing tables you bump into or something, instead of having to click and drag. Function may be different if u r staggered or not.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Replace walk toggle with "staggered" indicator / mobility toggle.

Post by oranges » #476395

why is it stupid
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #476410

Because there is never a benefit to walking, or moving more slowly, except for wet floors. Which 99% of the time people have already slipped on, and the floor has dried before they get back up.

The only use for walking therefore is to step across a wet floor that you've already slipped on. The buttons size and position implies that it's a lot more important than it is. And the act of toggling and untoggling it takes more effort than /literally walking/ . Walking is an easy task. Why is it so hard to do in ss13? For players who ACTUALLY want to walk slower, they don't even use it, they just tap the direction button, wait a second, then tap it again. Why not support that?
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #476412

You know you can walk just by holding down alt, right?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #476422

Walk-wait-walk-wait sounds fiddly, but I fucking hate the walk toggle, so I'm on board. I dislike the "toggle to climb tables" idea but only because my preferred way to climb onto tables would just be to walk into the table continuously for a duration to climb it. I agree click-drag sucks though.
Hathkar wrote:You know you can walk just by holding down alt, right?
OP literally has "freeing up a hotkey" as a reason for doing this so yes.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #476424

nullbear wrote:It would also make it so that you could just tap-wait-tap-wait-tap (instead of holding the key down) to walk across a small field of janitor placed mop-mines, freeing up a hotkey, improving the control scheme a bit, and possibly repurposing the walk HUD button. I have a few other plans for it already.
Changing behavior based on double-tapping but not holding a movement key is always cancer and please never do this.

Slowdowns counting as walk would be cool though. I'm like 80% sure you make quieter footstep noises while walking too, but that might just be anecdotal.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #476520

zxaber wrote:
nullbear wrote:It would also make it so that you could just tap-wait-tap-wait-tap (instead of holding the key down) to walk across a small field of janitor placed mop-mines, freeing up a hotkey, improving the control scheme a bit, and possibly repurposing the walk HUD button. I have a few other plans for it already.
Changing behavior based on double-tapping but not holding a movement key is always cancer and please never do this.

Slowdowns counting as walk would be cool though. I'm like 80% sure you make quieter footstep noises while walking too, but that might just be anecdotal.
I think that you're misunderstanding the double-tap thing. It's not "tap twice to trigger walking".

When you tap a directional key, you move into the tile and then STOP moving. Versus when you hold the key, you move into the next tile, and then CONTINUE moving into the next tiles after that.
My suggestion would just be changing it so that when you TAP vs. when you HOLD, then the tap is assumed to be in 'walk-mode'.

This has the benefit of: You do not have an artificially imposed slowdown for "walking". As in, if you choose to tap, move into a tile, you are not REQUIRED to wait 0.2 seconds before you can move again. But if you move FASTER than that, you wont get the 'no-slip' benefit of walk mode. You dont have to click a toggle in order to move at normal speed again, you can just... move at normal speed. Or move slower. At your own discretion, with walking becoming more natural.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #476611

nullbear wrote:
zxaber wrote:

I think that you're misunderstanding the double-tap thing. It's not "tap twice to trigger walking".

When you tap a directional key, you move into the tile and then STOP moving. Versus when you hold the key, you move into the next tile, and then CONTINUE moving into the next tiles after that.
My suggestion would just be changing it so that when you TAP vs. when you HOLD, then the tap is assumed to be in 'walk-mode'.

This has the benefit of: You do not have an artificially imposed slowdown for "walking". As in, if you choose to tap, move into a tile, you are not REQUIRED to wait 0.2 seconds before you can move again. But if you move FASTER than that, you wont get the 'no-slip' benefit of walk mode. You dont have to click a toggle in order to move at normal speed again, you can just... move at normal speed. Or move slower. At your own discretion, with walking becoming more natural.
It's still a worse control scheme than just holding a button.

We have other keys not yet bound, you don't have to steal Alt for whatever function you "have a few other plans".
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #476661

I think you're trolling but i dont wanna b mean in case you're serious.

-> Walking by pressing WSAD, vs clicking a button to toggle force a slowdown debuff, then clicking the button again to walk normally. -> Worse control scheme than just holding a button.??

Also, im not 'stealing a hotkey', im removing the need for one entirely and converting the hud-button into a hud-indicator instead.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #476672

the problem is that any amount of lag will change the timing and fuck everything up
just hold alt
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #476681

"100% lag free"
Are you trying to tell me something?

Lemme reword this:
It's not "double-tap" or "time your taps"
It's "when you stand still for .01 seconds, your next step is 'walking'
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #476687

this would break the classic drop banana peel next to man -> drag man onto peel
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #476702

We could special case mobs that are being dragged so they slip no matter how fast they move.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #476704

I feel the way this is going currently will result in something worse than we have now.
[this space reserved]
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #476709

PKPenguin321 wrote:this would break the classic drop banana peel next to man -> drag man onto peel
Don’t you slip on banana peels, clown PDAs, soap, and space lubed tiles even if you are walking?
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #476713

No replace, only add.

But for real, I can understand what you are saying, but it could never work as the only control scheme, it could work as an added system.

Really we just need to properly formalize speed and momentum in the codebase so slips and shit like that are based on how fast you are moving, not what movement mode you are in.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #476719

NoxVS wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:this would break the classic drop banana peel next to man -> drag man onto peel
Don’t you slip on banana peels, clown PDAs, soap, and space lubed tiles even if you are walking?
oo yeah youre right

what MSO said sounds legit then, wouldnt mind this as an added thing
Spoiler: