Suggested Shapechange Changes

A place to record your ideas for the game.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Suggested Shapechange Changes

Post by ATHATH » #477567

1. Make using the shapechange spell set the "remote_disabled" flag of your new form to "TRUE" if your new form is a bot. That way, ED-209 wizards can't be remotely shut down by an AI or a borg mid-combat.

EDIT: Alternatively (as suggested by 4d over discord), make a subtype of the ED-209 that has the "remote_disabled" flag set to "TRUE" (and no other differences to the "normal" ED-209) and have it replace the "normal" ED-209 in the shapechange form selection list.

2. Make the damage transferred to your new form when you shapechange via a method that has the "convert_damage" flag set to "TRUE" be proportional to the maxHealth values of your new and old forms. In other words, if I'm a vampire who's at 50% health and I turn into a space bat, my health total as a bat should be 7.5 (out of 15), not -35 (killing me instantly, which is how the system currently works).
Last edited by ATHATH on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Suggested Shapechange Changes

Post by zxaber » #477581

For 1, a method less hacky would probably having the flag set to true by default, and is set to false during the final construction step. That way any non-standard ED-209 would have the flag set to true.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #477602

zxaber wrote:For 1, a method less hacky would probably having the flag set to true by default, and is set to false during the final construction step. That way any non-standard ED-209 would have the flag set to true.
I'm worried that that might somehow break something somewhere in the future, though...

But yeah, I'll try to see if I can do that instead (I'm working on fixing 1. as my first ever PR).
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #477609

The only thing I could see it breaking is admin-spawned ED-209 units if the admin intends it to act normal. Still, admins can always change the variable values on the ED, so it's only a problem if the admin in question doesn't know about the setting.

Also, when you define the variable on the ED-209's file, make a comment there that tells anyone reading that the variable is intended to be flopped during normal construction and that it's there for abnormally-created ED units.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"