Replace the Beach Bums...

A place to record your ideas for the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Replace the Beach Bums...

Post by datorangebottle » #478485

...with a Lavaland Diner / Intergalactic Waffle House / whatever, i.e. this scene from spaceballs.

Basically, the role would rely on people spawning in as patrons /// miners walking in looking for a meal. There'd at least have to be some spawners for the workers, a bartender, a cook, botanist for the chef's food and bartender's drink, maybe, MAYBE a waiter or doctor or something. They can trade the miners for minerals for the bartender's drinks in exchange for good food/drinks. An innkeeper for people who want to sleep, if the map's big enough(if the xeno ruin is any indication, it can be as big as we want it to).
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Re: Replace the Beach Bums...

Post by actioninja » #478748

I'm working on a cooking rework right now actually, this would make a good "tutorial area" for it even if chef is already pretty low risk. I don't know if it needs to replace beach bums thuogh.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #478765

Beach bums currently serves no purpose besides being a complete do-over respawn point. They make a beeline for the station every time to become a regular crewmember. On top of that, it can't even be a cooking tutorial because the bartender can't access the chef's locker at all. So beach bums just takes up a slot that could be a much better spawner.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #478867

only if you also leave "the special" on the counter that infests you with an xeno if you eat it
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #479101

Screemonster wrote:only if you also leave "the special" on the counter that infests you with an xeno if you eat it
Sounds like it'd be funny, but I'd like to avoid self-antagging. Also, I can't code worth a fuck. I can barely map. Speaking of which, I tried to mock up / throw together a map for the diner. It looks something like this.
Diner map!
Diner map!
I modeled the dining area loosely after the one from the diner scene in Spaceballs; everything else is just stuff I randomly came up with. I do still need to populate the counter with random stuff. Salt/pepper shakers, condiment packages, etc. Also, no idea where to place the spawners or how to do door access, but that's somewhat minimal stuff.

I like the idea of having a mech/borg garage so that miners can stop off and literally refuel while filling their stomachs, while the ruin isn't completely pointless for borgs, for once.