Make grabbing/pulling things and people take up a hand, and add slowdown

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Make grabbing/pulling things and people take up a hand, and add slowdown

Post by Fatal » #481028

After playing TGMC over the weekend, where this is already a thing, and then playing regular TG and watching stun - grab - kill - space for the 1000th time

Yeah, if you are dragging something, or someone, make it slow you down, even more so if the person is laying down / dead / stunned

And making it take a hand slot so you can't have two weapons at the same time whilst dragging someone

This adds a tactical choice to combat, do you stay and finish off the guy you are fighting, or run and save yourself?

I know stun weapons are being looked at but I think this will be a positive change
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Make grabbing/pulling things and people take up a hand, and add slowdown

Post by MisterPerson » #481031

The big problem with this has traditionally been that slowing down dragging by half will make arresting someone take twice as long. Solutions have traditionally involved a port-a-brig or something similar.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #481064

It really only needs to be a small increase, IE just enough that if you grab a downed person and try to zoom off then unencumbered people will catch you easily.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #481076

Any rate you put it at will mean that any shitter can now save their traitor meta friend with ease.

Just make it negate on cuffed people. Plus on emergency beds and shit.
[this space reserved]
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #481078

Negating it on cuffed people just means that your kidnapper will handcuff you first. That's not really much of a slowdown in the scheme of things. That kind of negates the purpose of adding the slowdown in the first place.

Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #481080

I think that it would probably be best to just add the slowdown and deal with the shitters in other ways, like summary execution or bans. Preventing obvious game balance choices because of greytiders is not a good reason.

The coders really shouldnt have to balance the game around metafriending shitlords.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #481133

just make drag with cuffs not slow you down, the only value in stun/drag kill combo is that you can drag someone away very swiftly, having to cuff them slows you right down.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #481135

oranges wrote:just make drag with cuffs not slow you down, the only value in stun/drag kill combo is that you can drag someone away very swiftly, having to cuff them slows you right down.
>doctor has to cuff patient to get him to medbay before he bleeds out
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #481163

PKPenguin321 wrote:
oranges wrote:just make drag with cuffs not slow you down, the only value in stun/drag kill combo is that you can drag someone away very swiftly, having to cuff them slows you right down.
just make it so dragging them on roller beds make you run at full speed like other codebases do
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #481178

teepeepee wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
just make it so dragging them on roller beds make you run at full speed like other codebases do
Or just carry around bandages and epi-pens so you can stabilize patients on site and then move them, like EMTs have to do sometimes IRL.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #481228

If a doctor is so poorly equipped that they can’t keep a patient alive longer than a jog to medbay, that’s a problem with the doctor. I bet this would lead to more medical success, since fucktards think dragging bleeding people won’t ruin them mentally, physically, sensually, and emotionally.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #481234

The beauty of having the slowdown, means anyone who tries to save their buddy from being arrested, is then they are also slowed down dragging their buddy, so they cannot zoom away

And the gulag exists for such shitters also

As for medical, yeah, rollerbeds exist, which could have a very small slowdown, and it might make people actually call for medics rather than just dragging people to medbay and making them lose 1/3 of their blood in the process

A port-a-brig idea sounds okay, like, maybe tiny teleporters in each departmental sec office that can teleport prisoners to cells, but that's something else to look at by someone else
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #481310

confused rock wrote:If a doctor is so poorly equipped that they can’t keep a patient alive longer than a jog to medbay, that’s a problem with the doctor. I bet this would lead to more medical success, since fucktards think dragging bleeding people won’t ruin them mentally, physically, sensually, and emotionally.
Fine, not-doctors trying to drag their buddy to medbay then

>fastest way to drag a corpse to genetics is to cuff it
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #481315

fastest way to drag a corpse to genetics would be to use a stretcher or body bag like god intended

this is one of those suggestions that's been around forever, who will the brave soul to actually do it?
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #481333

Just need a way for ebow->drag->run->esword (or some similar combo) to not be the meta. Make dragging take a hand slot and make security jack boots negate the slow. Someone can make a pair of restraints a lot easier than they can loot a sec officers boots, and then they have to sacrifice noslips.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #481341

Skillywatt wrote:make security jack boots negate the slow
this is a retarded fucking post
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Post by Nalzul » #481360

Grabbing anybody standing up should not slow you down, cuffs included. Roller beds should do the same, plus they already stop the bleeding. Dragging anybody horizontal should slow you down, even if they are cuffed-- you are literally dragging a body. Dragging any item above normal should slow you down as well (in this case, crates).
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #481374

I do love the idea of an assistant intentionally resting to piss of the sec officer arresting him, not realizing that this just extends the brig sentence AND the time it takes to get dragged to the brig in the first place. Ya played yourself, son.

teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #481375

Nalzul wrote:Grabbing anybody standing up should not slow you down, cuffs included. Roller beds should do the same, plus they already stop the bleeding. Dragging anybody horizontal should slow you down, even if they are cuffed-- you are literally dragging a body. Dragging any item above normal should slow you down as well (in this case, crates).
how would this interact with people hitting rest while cuffed though, would it be disallowed? otherwise every tider and antag will instantly hit rest whenever cuffed to slow the grabber
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #481378

PKPenguin321 wrote:
confused rock wrote:If a doctor is so poorly equipped that they can’t keep a patient alive longer than a jog to medbay, that’s a problem with the doctor. I bet this would lead to more medical success, since fucktards think dragging bleeding people won’t ruin them mentally, physically, sensually, and emotionally.

*dabs in people have epi pens so still no*
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #481379

confused rock wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

>implying the downed person in question doesnt have 130+ brute
Spoiler:
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #481380

teepeepee wrote:
Nalzul wrote:Grabbing anybody standing up should not slow you down, cuffs included. Roller beds should do the same, plus they already stop the bleeding. Dragging anybody horizontal should slow you down, even if they are cuffed-- you are literally dragging a body. Dragging any item above normal should slow you down as well (in this case, crates).
how would this interact with people hitting rest while cuffed though, would it be disallowed? otherwise every tider and antag will instantly hit rest whenever cuffed to slow the grabber
I mean, it would be like resisting arrest in real life. you could use it as an excuse as a security officer to give them more time, or gulag time.
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Post by Nalzul » #481381

Honestly, if this is being coded a cuffing check can be added for resting, but allowing greyshitters to rest sounds hilarious.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #481382

PKPenguin321 wrote:
confused rock wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Dragging a corpse to medbay should be a chore unless you are using the specific tools to drag bodies around in, like the roller bed.

All of the downsides that have been brought up are not worse than the current situation where some jackass with a toolbox stuns and drags someone beating on them while people chase them unable to do anything to stop what is basically a guaranteed kill. Yakkety saxxing should have died ages ago.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #481386

Dr_bee wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
confused rock wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Dragging a corpse to medbay should be a chore unless you are using the specific tools to drag bodies around in, like the roller bed.

All of the downsides that have been brought up are not worse than the current situation where some jackass with a toolbox stuns and drags someone beating on them while people chase them unable to do anything to stop what is basically a guaranteed kill. Yakkety saxxing should have died ages ago.
Why? Chases are fun
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #481388

BTW something we can do with chases is add like a 0.5 second movement delay when you melee attack. Not enough to be annoying in a real fight, but enough to not allow hitting someone you're dragging if you're being chased. Obviously this doesn't help with getting spaced though.

Skillywatt

Post by Skillywatt » #481392

obscolene wrote:
Skillywatt wrote:make security jack boots negate the slow
this is a retarded fucking post
It's literally the same concept as making handcuffed people not slow you down but not every Tom dick and Harry with 15 cable coils can accomplish it.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #481393

MisterPerson wrote:BTW something we can do with chases is add like a 0.5 second movement delay when you melee attack. Not enough to be annoying in a real fight, but enough to not allow hitting someone you're dragging if you're being chased. Obviously this doesn't help with getting spaced though.
actually fucking genius idea
Skillywatt

Post by Skillywatt » #481395

confused rock wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:BTW something we can do with chases is add like a 0.5 second movement delay when you melee attack. Not enough to be annoying in a real fight, but enough to not allow hitting someone you're dragging if you're being chased. Obviously this doesn't help with getting spaced though.
I actually thought about this but refrained from suggesting it because of how it would impact the overall dynamic of combat.

Anyone with a ranged weapon would be incredibly strong, but then again is this really a bad thing? Getting gg'd by rng disarm when you have a shotgun or something is a silly mechanic but giving someone a chance to dance around and get a disarm isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I dunno
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #481397

ranged weapons will still continue to have the downside of missing. if that slowdown's only on hit, then it won't affect melee at all in 1v1 fights if the melee needs to just get one good hit. Guns are fickle, revolvers do twice as much damage as an ebow but are more rarely used due to the risk of whiffing all your shots. I'd rather have a baton than a taser every fourth day of the week.
teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #481398

Dr_bee wrote:I mean, it would be like resisting arrest in real life. you could use it as an excuse as a security officer to give them more time, or gulag time.
if you even make it to the brig before it get's snatched due to you going slow
this could apply to rev and cult, not just assistants, implying sec doesn't just outright kill them on sight
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #481400

penguins entire argument boils down to
>I have to change how I play the game.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #481406

Nalzul wrote:
Honestly, if this is being coded a cuffing check can be added for resting, but allowing greyshitters to rest sounds hilarious.
I'm just imagining those pictures of people that try to walk their cats on a leash and the cat just lies down
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #481455

Plus, maybe not resting might be seen as an act of compliance and make it less likely that the officer will just gat you for thinking you're trying to escape.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #481465

Skillywatt wrote:
confused rock wrote:
I actually thought about this but refrained from suggesting it because of how it would impact the overall dynamic of combat.

Anyone with a ranged weapon would be incredibly strong, but then again is this really a bad thing? Getting gg'd by rng disarm when you have a shotgun or something is a silly mechanic but giving someone a chance to dance around and get a disarm isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I dunno
Apply a slowdown on shooting. If you come at the champ, you best not miss. Plus it's probably best to ignore disarms since they're getting overhauled anyway.

Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #481492

Would just activating a flat slow that lasts as long as the click cooldown for any action be a good idea instead of just limiting it to melee or ranged.

I mean running at full speed and searching in your backpack while shooting a laser should be a bit harder to pull off than just running.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #481494

>Not enough to be annoying in a real fight

Heavy doubt, especially as it strengthens counterattacks
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #481495

Eh this really just isn’t viable. As sec you’ll often find yourself in situations where you need to stun and drag people. This would make it even easier for shitters to become immune in groups >2. No need for them to grab, they just need to shake their friend up.

Security and medical nerf, rev buff. The idea of making roller beds half worth is nice but I don’t think this is the way to do it.
[this space reserved]
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #481497

Dr_bee wrote:Would just activating a flat slow that lasts as long as the click cooldown for any action be a good idea instead of just limiting it to melee or ranged.

I mean running at full speed and searching in your backpack while shooting a laser should be a bit harder to pull off than just running.
Probably would have an extremely negative impact on general playability. This kind of stuff makes the controls feel clunky and shitty rather than responsive and smooth.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #481521

oranges wrote:penguins entire argument boils down to
>I have to change how I play the game.
No? Not even close
Spoiler: