Medbay Suggestion #9000 "Dynamic Health"

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paradox97
Byond Username: Paradox97

Medbay Suggestion #9000 "Dynamic Health"

Post by paradox97 » #484025

So I was thinking about medbay as well as looking through some of the posts on here and I think we can boil down all of our problems with medbay to two:
1.) Medbay is not engaging for people who play as doctors
2.) Any suggestions to make medbay more engaging cannot increase complexity too much due to TG's short round time

Alright, so what do I propose? There's about a 95% chance nobody is going to care so I'm going to be light on the details in this post, in the off chance someone thinks this is a good idea I'd be happy to flesh it out. I think that we need an opt in system I am calling "dynamic health." It would be a setting that people can turn on that would open up their character to chronic health issues but also allow for health improvement. For example, your character would be able to exercise and take vitamins (from specific foods or made in pills by chemistry) which would increase your characters hit strength or running speed. However this setting would also give your character a chance to spawn in with a genetic predisposition to something like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. Perhaps your character grew up at home, so there would be a chance they would get a popup at the start of the round saying their Father had high blood pressure, maybe they were an orphan so they'd have to get tested in genetics. Nonetheless the person can share this information with a doctor early in the round (or later if they want) and undergo some kind of physical exam (blood pressure cuff, heart rate, blood test...). The main part of the exam would be the blood test, which would only require the player to give blood, the doctors would have to go through a specific protocol for different tests but the player would not have to wait around in medbay because these diseases would be long term and not start causing problems until later on. After the tests are complete the doctor would determine what the patient has, or at least, is at risk for and can suggest foods to stay away from or prescribe some kind of medicine (for cholesterol e.g.) to be taken on occasion. These problems could eventually lead to heart attack, fatigue, loss of sensation (diabetes) and whatever else.

In short: opt in system, benefits for opting in but potential risks, identifying potential risks requires doctors to talk to the patient about their history, blood testing would be an in-depth system for doctors and chemists that does not require the patient to sit out half the round in the doctor's office (rarer diseases would have more complicated tests)
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Medbay Suggestion #9000 "Dynamic Health"

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #484156

i personally dont see complexivity as a problem we got already a bunch of roles that have complex things as part of their role and what people complain is that medical lacks it by being so hand holding that makes doctors feel useless, anyone will is able to use a sleeper/ clone and 90% of the times medical has emergency access doors broken windows to medkit land and a braindead doc
this feels something really similar to the quirk system which could be integrated there or integrated to trauma based system and waiting line to analysis computer doesnt seem really great
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Re: Medbay Suggestion #9000 "Dynamic Health"

Post by datorangebottle » #484287

>opt-in system giving only some players random downsides but giving everyone who takes it a pretty significant advantage over other players purely based on stats
No thanks, I much prefer our current traits system for that sort of thing. Also, making it apply to everyone doesn't remove the most significant problem: RNG downsides aren't fun at all. At least with current traits, you can rely on having a certain downside every round until you remove it.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year