Organ trauma: byond the brain!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Organ trauma: byond the brain!

Post by Kryson » #485015

The brain trauma system is fun.

I think the concept could be expanded to include other organs in the body.

I decided write this post to about how this could be done, using liver trauma as an example.

The traumas
Each trauma would have three degrees of severity with increasing effect and cure resilience.

Mild traumas would be cured by common medicines

Medium traumas would be cured by botany derived or hard to make medicines.

Severe traumas would require transplantation.

Cirrhosis

Damage to your liver has caused fibrosis, leaving it more vulnerable to future damage and decreasing its ability to filter toxins.

This trauma would decrease the threshold dose of toxins and alcohol the liver can shrug off without taking damage. It would also decrease the threshhold at which the liver start purging toxins.

Enzyme induction

Damage your liver has caused it to secrete too much of the enzymes responsible for metabolising exogenous compounds!

This trauma causes your liver to purge medicine and drugs like it would purge toxins, the threshold increasing with severity.

Cholelithiasis

Damage to your liver has caused you to develop bile stones, they may lodge in your bile duct after a fatty meal causing great pain and nausea.

This trauma gives you a chance to vomit, get disgusted and scream in pain when metabolising fats, or at lesser chance when metabolising nutriment. Eat carbohydrates to avoid the unpleasantness!

Medicine reagents
Silymarin
In the real world, this milk thistle extract contain various flavonolignans that have a very strong protective effect against liver damage.

In game, this would be derived from star thistle or a mutation thereof, heal liver damage and have a chance of curing a mild or moderate trauma per tick.

Mitocholide
This reagents is based on the paradise station reagent it shares its name with.

This would work like a type of omnizine for your internal organs, as well as have chance of curing a mild trauma per tick. The recipe should be complex.

Toxin reagents
Carptoxin or Amatoxin

These toxins are a bit boring, one of them should cause a bit of liver damage in addition to plain toxin damage.

Mirasolve

This chlorinated solvent was previously used on NT stations. While it was phased out due to toxicity concerns, it can still sometimes be found in some old solvent cans in maintenance.

It causes significant liver damage, slurring and dizziness making it a great mixer for traitorous bartenders.

This reagent is based on the real life solvent carbon tetrachloride, while many chlorinated solvents cause liver damage, including chloroform and dichloromethane, CCl4 is a such potent hepatotoxin it is commonly used to induce liver injury scientific studies.

I think it would add some interesting complexity to medical roles, traitoring and chemistry if fleshed out. Maybe the virologist will be able to infect the crew with hepatitis C some day.

Would you like to see something like this in game?

Do you think the maintainers would merge it if i got it coded in a competent manner?
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Organ trauma: byond the brain!

Post by zxaber » #485028

Would these be random-spawned trauma events? Because the random brain trauma is absolute aids and should never be looked to for ideas.

As a possible side effect to certain in-game things (like overdoses), these could be neat.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Kryson
Code Maintainer

Post by Kryson » #485088

zxaber wrote:Would these be random-spawned trauma events?
I agree that spontaneous brain trauma is a cancer event.

The idea is that when you are taking liver damage because of too much toxins / hepatotoxins / alcohol / disease /overdose and reach a certain threshold you would get a mild trauma, this trauma would then be upgraded at the next threshold. If you already have a severe trauma you would instead get another mild trauma.

You could even have a reagent inflict a specific trauma if the liver is damaged enough.

I think this might an interesting way of making medical jobs more complex without requiring people to get surgery after every little injury due to life threatening internal bleeding.

Medical doctor is actually a really fun role when it involves more than pressing the bicaridine button on the sleeper.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #485096

As a medinerd, I support organ trauma's whole-heartedly, and would be willing to provide ideas for anyone who wants to code in new ways to torture players with scienceenrich the experience of medical players.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #485242

would it be possible to get so stressed out by the clown you get an ulcer and puke blood
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #485299

didn't liver failure get a buff though.

I took 50 units of toxin damage yesterday, and then I started instantly dying like my Heart was taken out. Cryo, The sleeper, not even the epi pen or a defib could save me.
► Show Spoiler
Kryson
Code Maintainer

Post by Kryson » #485530

Shadowflame909 wrote:didn't liver failure get a buff though.

I took 50 units of toxin damage yesterday, and then I started instantly dying like my Heart was taken out. Cryo, The sleeper, not even the epi pen or a defib could save me.
Brain damage is even worse, instantly killing you when you reach 200.

In my ideal system heart failure should kill you faster than liver failure.

Corazone prevents damage from heart and liver failure, so if organ failure became more common it could be dealt with.
Razharas
Byond Username: Razharas

Post by Razharas » #487145

Theres a thread about organ trauma health system, i think it encompasses this too