Punching/Grabbing Tweaks

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Punching/Grabbing Tweaks

Post by PKPenguin321 » #485654

Came up with a design doc for some changes to punches/grabs in the wake of the disarm changes.

Grab changes
Goals:
  • Make choking worth going for without making it too useful in any scenario
  • Make restraining weakened people with grabs more reliable for things like kicking out assistants non-lethally
Changes:
  • New formula is used for breakout odds that factors in stamina damage
  • Base chance to escape a chokehold (not a neckgrab, but choking) lowered to 5, from 10
  • New formula: prob(min(30/GRABLEVEL-sqrt(DAMAGE*(3-GRABLEVEL)), 0)) (See this table for exact values)
  • Maybe make failed resists deal slight stam damage to make subsequent resist attempts harder (maybe 5-10, given how it passively regens)
  • Maybe factor in other damage too, but to a lesser extent (total damage = stamina + (all others/2)?)
Punch changes
Goals:
  • Make fistfights less "I got an RNG stunpunch, I win!"
  • Give fistfights a nonlethal way of ending instead of one person inevitably going into crit
  • Make punching play into the new grab changes by dealing stamina damage
  • Retain the lethality of fistfights should the participants deliberately take it to the death
Changes:
  • Punching now rolls a number 1-10 (previously 0-9) inclusive, then deals that in stamina + 1/2 that in brute
  • Weaken punches still exist, but the stun duration scales to the victim's stamina damage (and brute to a lesser extent, maybe brute/2)
  • On the flipside, misses still exist but how often you get one scales to your stamina/brute damage, rolled separately from the initial punch damage roll (currently the initial punch damage is also used to calculate misses, where a 0 dmg punch is a miss).
  • Kicking (punching a stunned/in crit person) is unchanged from how punching currently works (deals no stamina damage, deals full roll in brute), except that you will never whiff.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Punching/Grabbing Tweaks

Post by Mickyan » #485667

I really like it, and although I understand the need for RNG I wish we could find better solutions at least when it comes to mechanics that aren't just damage fluctuations

What if for breaking out of grabs instead of a probability it calculates the amount of time before you can resist your way out? So you have a general idea of how long you can keep a hold of someone depending on how injured they are, instead of hoping they get bad rolls. You can still add some degree of randomness to it just to make it a bit more unpredictable.

Maybe you could even make a comparison between the max health of both the grabbed and the grabber
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Punching/Grabbing Tweaks

Post by Nalzul » #486078

Great change tbh. RNG in this sense is much more fun and resemblance of a traditional tabletop game than the instant 25% win old disarms have. Plus if you start losing the fight people will grow a brain for once and actually run instead of fight to the death.