Fixing the Left Click+Drag Conflict For Borgs

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Which of the three proposed options do you like best?

Intents
42%
Active Tool
8%
Special Tool
8%
I Don't Like Any of Them (or have a better idea)
42%

Total votes: 12

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Fixing the Left Click+Drag Conflict For Borgs

Post by ATHATH » #486925

Currently, if a borg (left) click+drags a humanoid's sprite onto themselves, they'll both buckle that humanoid to themselves and open up the interface/menu for managing the inventory of/stripping said humanoid. This is annoying, as the interface/menu will cause you to stop in your tracks when it appears and also blocks a large portion of your view, requiring you to click on the main screen again to move.

I have three ideas for fixes for this problem:

1. Intents: If the borg is on help intent when they left click+drag a humanoid's sprite onto themselves, they buckle that humanoid to themselves but don't open up the inventory menu. If the borg is on harm intent when they left click+drag a humanoid's sprite onto themselves, they open up the inventory menu but don't buckle that humanoid to themselves.
2. Active Tool: If the borg has no selected tool (none of their 3 hotbar slots are green) when they left click+drag a humanoid's sprite onto themselves, they buckle that humanoid to themselves but don't open up the inventory menu. If the borg does have a selected tool when they left click+drag a humanoid's sprite onto themselves, they open up the inventory menu but don't buckle that humanoid to themselves.
3. Special Tool: If the borg left click+drags a humanoid's sprite onto themselves, they open up the inventory menu but don't buckle that humanoid to themselves. All borgs receive a "buckling" tool that will buckle a humanoid to the borg that uses it if the borg left clicks on said humanoid with it active/selected. If the borg clicks on a compatible hat with the buckling tool, they'll start putting it on themselves, allowing them to wear swanky hats that they find without needing to ask a humanoid for help (for some of them, at least- as some are in vending machines and such). If the borg clicks on a turf with the buckling tool while someone is buckled to them, the borg gently puts their rider down on said turf without having to *spin them off/ask them to resist out. If the borg clicks on an object that someone is buckled to with the buckliing tool, the people buckled to that object are unbuckled from that object (like how clicking on a bed or chair with an empty hand as a humanoid unbuckles people from that object).

Which of the above fixes do you like the best? More importantly, would anyone be willing to write up a PR for any of the above fixes (the "Intents" option should just require one function to be changed, as far as I can tell, but I might be wrong)?
Last edited by ATHATH on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Fixing the Left Click+Drag Conflict For Borgs

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #486926

Personally I don’t think borgs should be able to buckle people onto themselves at all.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #486949

Adding arcane rules to click-drag, which is itself already not intuitive or obvious, is not going to create a good control scheme or UX.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #486959

4. Hold Ctrl to buckle, don't hold to open equipment menu.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Personally I don’t think borgs should be able to buckle people onto themselves at all.
It's got uses that make it handy. Sometimes a borg will want to hurry a human out of danger or get them to the shuttle quickly or something. Dragging them risks them being bumped and lost by another crew member, especially if the hallway is narrow, and is in general more clunky.

It would be nice if spinning while on help intent didn't have a chance to fling them across the room, though.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #486988

Remove self-bucking, borg spin stun is cancer and needs to go.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #487012

yes, let's remove, don't improve. you can climb on a borg if you consent anyways.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #487537

confused rock wrote:yes, let's remove, don't improve. you can climb on a borg if you consent anyways.
this but unironically
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #487549

This is a discussion about how to improve an ambiguity in the control scheme, not about the game play or balance considerations on borgs buckling people.

Please keep it on topic.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #487561

Help intent you buckle, disarm intent you strip, grab intent you buckle, harm intent you strip.

makes sense to me.
► Show Spoiler
Vile Beggar
Byond Username: Vile Beggar

Post by Vile Beggar » #487581

Shadowflame909 wrote:Help intent you buckle, disarm intent you strip, grab intent you buckle, harm intent you strip.

makes sense to me.
borgs have two intents though
Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImage
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #487596

Vile Beggar wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Help intent you buckle, disarm intent you strip, grab intent you buckle, harm intent you strip.

makes sense to me.
borgs have two intents though
Still works
legoscape
Byond Username: Legoscape

Post by legoscape » #492543

Give borgs the same intents as normal crew. It's simple to code and most effective.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #492552

legoscape wrote:Give borgs the same intents as normal crew. It's simple to code and most effective.
What purpose does this have when it only means anything for this specific scenario? Borgs don’t have open hands so they can’t use the intents and it just changes how their modules interact with things or if they can be pushed past.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server