Random pixel offset for thrown/dropped items

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Random pixel offset for thrown/dropped items

Post by Mickyan » #488411

It would be really useful to have for minimizing situations where you have a pile of items on the same tile all neatly overlapping each other. Better visual feedback for identifying how much stuff is actually on a tile at a glance.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Random pixel offset for thrown/dropped items

Post by Farquaar » #488478

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's nice to see how large a heap of items is at a glance. On the other hand, I like using throw/drop when I want a nice neat stack of pancakes and whatnot.
► Show Spoiler
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #488484

Dropping could always drop exactly where the mouse is if it's within one square of you, similar to putting things on a table. Anyone stupid enough to actually click the drop button is SOL but I don't care. Throwing should obviously work this way too.

The only way to solve unusable huge stacks is to not spawn so much fucking shit in the same tile together. Here's looking at you, HoS locker. Randomizing offsets or tiling stuff on a turf might help out, but even those solutions will fail beyond like 8 things.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #488516

MisterPerson wrote:The only way to solve unusable huge stacks is to not spawn so much fucking shit in the same tile together. Here's looking at you, HoS locker. Randomizing offsets or tiling stuff on a turf might help out, but even those solutions will fail beyond like 8 things.
This is true although I didn't even have lockers in mind, but rather situations like things get knocked around by explosions or dropping a bunch of items of the same type on the floor looking like a single one

You can't really beat perspective limitations but you can take steps to minimize their impact
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #488529

Yeah explosions do produce a lot of debris. That's why I made stackable things stack when they move onto each other, actually. Maybe it would be good to make everything stackable? Obviously there'd be balance considerations and not everything should stack anyway (beakers, guns, etc), but it would stop botany and paper bins from causing games to crash.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #488540

MisterPerson wrote:Yeah explosions do produce a lot of debris. That's why I made stackable things stack when they move onto each other, actually. Maybe it would be good to make everything stackable? Obviously there'd be balance considerations and not everything should stack anyway (beakers, guns, etc), but it would stop botany and paper bins from causing games to crash.
Paper and playing cards totally should stack
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #496669

Isn't that why the bins exist though
\