More Genetic Variety (Or your money back!)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tallvisit
Byond Username: Tallvisit

More Genetic Variety (Or your money back!)

Post by Tallvisit » #493213

I was thinking that lately genetics has sort of been a dead end job in the regard of experimentation with the actual genetic code, after they get their few wanted mutations it is just left in the dust by other jobs.

This is where I got an idea, or half an idea, the other half came from a game I was playing called "Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead", and the idea consists of adding a buttload (Yes I did just say that unironically, it IS a medieval form of measurement) of new mutations, specifically to have powerful pros, but also cons.

The list goes as this:

Radiogenic: Being irradiated no longer hurts you, and instead heals you, you are still affected by other side effects such as hair loss, vomiting, and random mutations.

Carnivore: Renders your body unable to digest plant, dairy, or grain matter, but can eat raw meat without any negative moodlets.

Herbivore: The exact opposite of Carnivore, there is nothing positive about this one unless you were unable to eat plants, dairy, or grains beforehand.

Hooves: Gives a minimal armor boost to your legs, gives foot-protection, and gives a slight boost in kicking attacks, but renders you unable to use any sort of footwear.

Slimy: Reduces the damage acid deals to you, that is about it.

Viscous: Gained from combining Slimy with Giantism, increases the acid immunity, and reduces the amount of chemicals gained from touch, but rarely, you will leave slime on the ground, like a Snailperson.

Sores: Causes painful sores on the skin, does nothing to effect gameplay, but has a chance to play a message depending on how much clothing you are wearing.

Heat Dependent: Only found in Lizardperson, the colder it gets, the slower you move, this mutation also decreases your hunger rate and metabolism, incompatible with Space Adaptation

Cold-Blooded: Combine Heat Dependent and Strength to get, Like Heat Dependent, but slows more, has a slower Metabolism and Hunger Rate, and INCREASES your speed slightly if you are in hot temperatures, incompatible with Space Adaptation.

Far-Sighted: Without Prescription Glasses, you are unable to examine or read anything close to you.

Chemical-Imbalance: Randomly, you will either feel hungry, tired, too hot, or too cold.

Fast Metabolism: Slightly increases the rate of hunger, and increases the amount of food someone needs to eat to be full, but also increases metabolism speed, the rate of healing from being well fed very slightly, and slightly boosts disease resistance.

Vomitous: Will rarely randomly vomit, but can also trigger it at will.

Thank you for reading my idea, I mean it.
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Re: More Genetic Variety (Or your money back!)

Post by knacker48 » #493261

I'm all for giving some genetics some more late game things to do. One aspect of genetics that I think could use some work are the chromosomes. As they are now I usually ignore them since most of them don't have any affect on powers and the only really good one, stabilizer, is to rare to consistently get without grinding activators out. I also think there should be more combinations since right now its just radioactivity + 3 other powers. Also theres mind reader but nobody cares