Better jobs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Better jobs

Post by Ghilker » #494698

Add a bonus/malus to every jobs based on what you want to do and what job you have.

I'll explain, a bonus to engineers is that they can use tools faster, like building and deconstructing is way faster for them than for other jobs (or make other jobs make those things slower) like a chemistry wants to build a chem dispenser, he will make one much slower than an engineer, maybe can make errors and consume a material for it; same thing if an engi wants to make pentetic, he will take much more time (or consume much more resources) than a chemistry

This could differenciate the jobs more, maybe creating a multi-job work etic.

other examples are:
- medical performing medical operations (injecting, scannerizing, surgery, etc) faster than others (or the others are slower at it)
- botanics grows better plants faster
- cargo can get discounts when placing orders
- security has higher hp (just 5/10) or higher stamina 'cause workout
- science guys consume less point for researches (5-10% less, better if drunk)
- atmos people able to work on pipes with double pressure without being blown away (or can withstand a blow for less space)
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Better jobs

Post by terranaut » #494859

thats like the hundredth time someone brought forth this idea and its always been rejected, everyone being able to do everything is part of the fun of the game, you'd also have a hard time balancing this shit (not like balance is a super big deal in this game but eh)
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #494865

everyone would still be able to do everything, just slower (or faster if is your job)
but hey if it was already rejected feel free to ignore this topic, i won't get mad :3
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #494886

If I thought this was a good idea at all I'd go into a massive tangent about how lifeweb's attribute system works so smoothly with its medical and moodlet systems
but I won't because changing job effectiveness would be a massive change in how the game works from years prior and into the future.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #494988

I know I bring up the "it would get rejected" argument for this, but that's always in another suggestion. That isn't an acceptable argument for rejecting this. Now if you don't wanna do this kind of stuff, that's fine, I'm just saying that "this suggestion would get rejected, so we're rejecting it" is a bit tautological and silly.

Personally I have no real opinion on doing this. Mostly it's only a few hardcore powergamers who would be severely impacted either way, although maybe Medbay would be nicer if everyone and their mother would stop robbing them blind if healing yourself was slower than letting a doctor do it.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #495024

MisterPerson wrote:although maybe Medbay would be nicer if everyone and their mother would stop robbing them blind if healing yourself was slower than letting a doctor do it.
We both know that's wishful thinking and will not actually happen.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #495039

What would assistants be better at
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #495046

Super Aggro Crag wrote:What would assistants be better at
Nothing cause they're losers who don't even deserve maint access but still have it for some fucking reason.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #495050

Super Aggro Crag wrote:What would assistants be better at
lower click cooldown when attacking people with toolbox
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #495067

So....

A skill system?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #495106

If I see any of you leveling dex i'm banning you
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #495107

Cobby wrote:If I see any of you leveling dex i'm banning you
I'm a balance build
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #495114

MisterPerson wrote:Personally I have no real opinion on doing this. Mostly it's only a few hardcore powergamers who would be severely impacted either way, although maybe Medbay would be nicer if everyone and their mother would stop robbing them blind if healing yourself was slower than letting a doctor do it.
Love the attitude that doing things for yourself makes you a hardcore powergamer.
[this space reserved]
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #495136

wesoda25 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:Personally I have no real opinion on doing this. Mostly it's only a few hardcore powergamers who would be severely impacted either way, although maybe Medbay would be nicer if everyone and their mother would stop robbing them blind if healing yourself was slower than letting a doctor do it.
Love the attitude that doing things for yourself makes you a hardcore powergamer.
Are we reading the same post here? This reads more as an indictment against min-maxing tools and access (and skills, supposedly) than "doing things alone is powergaming." Obviously, powergaming typically takes the form of the magical jack-of-all "can't trust anyone else to do things because I can't min-max other people" approaches to the game, but imagining that's the only way is pretty weird.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #495180

wesoda25 wrote:Love the attitude that doing things for yourself makes you a hardcore powergamer.
T. greytider
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #495203

lol when I think powergamer I think of Mirisa Kirasame on a secway with tem gun, not of someone picking up a medkit to heal themselves. After all, doctors are so inexperienced and salty about sleepers getting removed they’ll cryo you anyways.
[this space reserved]