Veteran cloaks - time reward

A place to record your ideas for the game.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Veteran cloaks - time reward

Post by JusticeGoat » #500469

A cosmetic item that you get per 500 logged hours on the game dead/alive that has no stats or benefits other then looks cool as you gain more time you can get more colors unlocked or something.
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Veteran cloaks - time reward

Post by bobbahbrown » #500470

i like this idea ++

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #500471

no, but I will accept cloaks for patreon donators
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin

Post by JusticeGoat » #500473

Why not both, i think cosmetic rewards would be really fun and would help with player retention since it would give goals to work for.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #500474

"hey this guy has a fancy cloak and is thus better give x thing to him instead" should not exist
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #500483

lol fuck off with frequent player circle jerk

itd benefit me just as much as you but any form of IC reward is fucking stupid, goes for donor as well
[this space reserved]
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin

Post by JusticeGoat » #500484

confused rock wrote:"hey this guy has a fancy cloak and is thus better give x thing to him instead" should not exist
I don't think anyone is better for how long they played its just a worthless cape that does nothing but add a few pixels of color to your outfit.

Only would look kinda cool, maybe have other ones per job type if you get 100 hours in engineering you can get a yellow colored one ect.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #500526

wesoda25 wrote:lol fuck off with frequent player circle jerk

itd benefit me just as much as you but any form of IC reward is fucking stupid, goes for donor as well
Unless the cloaks act like head cloaks, and provide some form of defense, they would be purely cosmetic items with no in game benefit besides putting a bulleyes on your back for jealous newbies to lust after.

Sounds like a fun little addition, good luck trying to get a spriter to make them all.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Eaglendia
Byond Username: Eaglendia

Post by Eaglendia » #500528

Head cloaks no longer provide mechanical benefits.
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Millian MacTavish • Braids Grenades • Eliott Graves • Tyrell Stone
In-game trialmin; certified boomer.
Be rational, be responsible, and be excellent to eachother.
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Trialmin ReviewAlways better, never perfect.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #500530

Lets not. I'd rather we didn't start mixing OOC into IC just because
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #500534

cedarbridge wrote:Lets not. I'd rather we didn't start mixing OOC into IC just because
Because we don't have an ever living fuckton of OOC in our IC items. The random oranges dotting maint, various items named after infamous players, the Griffin and Owlman costumes, etc.

A department cloak would allow folks to tell experienced players at a glance, which is totally a thing. A guy who's been working in engineering for 20 years would have all sorts of little markers to denote them from a guy who started yesterday. Be they little medals or pips on their ID, a title change like apprentice, journeyman, senior, junior, etc. Yes, you could have it be something as simple as "Oh, that atmos tech has red shoulder bits, he's been working for the company for 10 years" but that shit would be damn near impossible to see as two pixels.

The cloak slot is nearly useless outside of the head cloaks and bedsheets. Give it some purpose, and give people a little extra reason to dedicate themselves to a job. As a miner main, I would love to have a little cosmetic item that serves no in game function besides showing those around me "Oh fuck, that person really fucking loves to mine."
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin

Post by JusticeGoat » #500536

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Lets not. I'd rather we didn't start mixing OOC into IC just because
Because we don't have an ever living fuckton of OOC in our IC items. The random oranges dotting maint, various items named after infamous players, the Griffin and Owlman costumes, etc.

A department cloak would allow folks to tell experienced players at a glance, which is totally a thing. A guy who's been working in engineering for 20 years would have all sorts of little markers to denote them from a guy who started yesterday. Be they little medals or pips on their ID, a title change like apprentice, journeyman, senior, junior, etc. Yes, you could have it be something as simple as "Oh, that atmos tech has red shoulder bits, he's been working for the company for 10 years" but that shit would be damn near impossible to see as two pixels.

The cloak slot is nearly useless outside of the head cloaks and bedsheets. Give it some purpose, and give people a little extra reason to dedicate themselves to a job. As a miner main, I would love to have a little cosmetic item that serves no in game function besides showing those around me "Oh fuck, that person really fucking loves to mine."

Could have never put it a better way, but this is exactly the spirit that would add a little flavor to the game, a goal for people to work for.
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #500541

Bring back Beards.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #500549

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:A department cloak would allow folks to tell experienced players at a glance, which is totally a thing.
And it's part of the reason I'm against it. I don't want to look at somebody's character and say "oh, that's <player>, he's competent or probably competent because he's got one of those fancy roundstart cloaks" We get more than enough meta encroachment from static names. We don't need "at a glance" OOC information directly related to the player present.

All of the rest of your post about player references has literally nothing to do with my complaint.
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #500555

cedarbridge wrote:
Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:A department cloak would allow folks to tell experienced players at a glance, which is totally a thing.
And it's part of the reason I'm against it. I don't want to look at somebody's character and say "oh, that's <player>, he's competent or probably competent because he's got one of those fancy roundstart cloaks" We get more than enough meta encroachment from static names. We don't need "at a glance" OOC information directly related to the player present.

All of the rest of your post about player references has literally nothing to do with my complaint.
Because everything in this game must revolve around the all powerful metagame. We have to tailor this game around those who focus purely on the click spaceman horizontal aspect of this game, how every aspect needs to focus on adjusting the possible robusts per minute for Johnny McValidhunter. If you want to remove any possibility for metagaming, you need to randomize names, randomize jobs, randomize appearance, fuck, randomize species. Remove any possibility for players to identify one another OOC "at a glance" if that is your goal. Hell, limit communication to a series of preset responses, because some people type in an accent or mannerism. Can't let players identify the token stuttering medbay whore OOC, after all.

Department cloaks are a novelty cosmetic, given as a pointless little reward for dedication to a role. What negative gameplay could come from them? Theft or murder? Timmy Traitor having to put some actual effort into making that particular redshirt go horizontal, because they are boldly displaying their department cloak? Newbie McGreytide putting on a cloak for some fake respect?
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #500565

I don't like this idea, people will be able to tell I should be way more competent after so many hours
at least now I can just change my name to reset people's expectation of my character
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #500566

This feels like it would sort of encourage clique-like behavior which I hate
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Post by Nalzul » #500567

Replace cloaks with beard lengths. The older you are the longer you can make your beard.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #500579

considering the logged hours are (relatively) recent i'd prefer to have it based on byond account creation date
newfags out
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Electronics
Github User
Byond Username: Electronics111
Github Username: Electronics

Post by Electronics » #500663

terranaut wrote:considering the logged hours are (relatively) recent i'd prefer to have it based on byond account creation date
newfags out
Pffft newfag.

But more seriously:
bobbahbrown wrote:i like this idea ++
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #500676

Being able to recognize frequent players because you recognize them is very different from recognizing frequent players because the game is broadcasting their "status".

This is not a good idea.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #500679

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

Because everything in this game must revolve around the all powerful metagame. We have to tailor this game around those who focus purely on the click spaceman horizontal aspect of this game, how every aspect needs to focus on adjusting the possible robusts per minute for Johnny McValidhunter.
No we don't.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #500684

Nalzul wrote:Replace cloaks with beard lengths. The older you are the longer you can make your beard.
SaveVatznick wrote:Bring back Beards.
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #500690

whenever i think about this i think about the goon system for rewards and medals.

basically how it works is you have a medals verb like the ghost option in the OOC tab, which opens up a menu which shows you all the achievements you've gotten.

you can then recieve the reward for doing the achievement (blowing up x bomb, exploring x thing, winning as x, etc...) which is usually minor like a different color for something or a skin for a cyborg.

people can still steal the rewards and it doesn't change much in the game honestly which is why goon probably stopped adding cosmetic rewards for it.

unless someone wants to sprite like 500 things then there's no point. it doesn't matter anyways because everyone's just going to make achievement guides etc.

besides people already metagame who's important and whatnot, and if someone wants to help someone they will. if you want someone to be able to help someone easier then add mentors back or something.

also nobody deserves a "reward" for just playing the game that's stupid. i know some people who have 1000 hours in this and can only greytide.
retired ss13 coderman
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #500693

Nalzul wrote:Replace cloaks with beard lengths. The older you are the longer you can make your beard.
That would disrupt the anime catgirl ERP meta
► Show Spoiler
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #500711

bring back beards
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #500713

JusticeGoat wrote:
Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:

Could have never put it a better way, but this is exactly the spirit that would add a little flavor to the game, a goal for people to work for.
Except its a horrible fucking argument. Rewarding people for anything OOC is a terrible idea, if you want respect then earn it. You'll figure out hes been doing engineering for 20 years by the way he plays, not the stupid cosmetic item hes wearing. The fact that it wouldn't effect code doesn't really change anything, a reward is a reward.
[this space reserved]