New Game Mode Idea

A place to record your ideas for the game.
mizolo
Byond Username: Mizolo

New Game Mode Idea

Post by mizolo » #502926

I'm not 100% sure what to call this yet.

As of now I'm just calling it 'Bushido' or 'Samurai' game mode.

The game-mode is actually quite simple.

You have 4 'classes' of people that are randomly picked at the start:
Shogun (Good)
Samurai (Good)
Ninja (Evil / Bad)
Ronin (Lone-Wolf / Neutral / 3rd party)

There will be:
1 Shogun
1-2 Samurai
3 Ninjas
1 Ronin

At the beginning of the round, all players that are selected to be in the gamemode are told who the Shogun is (The people who are NOT involved / aren't one of these will NOT be alerted as to who the shogun is or what the game-mode is) all other identities remain secret.
The only exception to this is the Ronin, which I will explain in a minute.

The Shogun and the Samurai are trying to survive. They win by having the Shogun escape on the shuttle (not a pod).

The Ninjas are trying to assassinate the Shogun and his Samurai guard. They win by killing the Shogun.

The Ronin is a peculiar individual. His objective is purely to achieve the most honor and/or bloodshed. He does this by killing 2 of any side(s). 1 good 1 bad, both good, both bad, you get the point. After killing, or encountering the body of one of them, the Ronin simply takes their head.

Here's the catch:
NOBODY EXCEPT THE RONIN knows who everyone is.
The ninjas ... do not know each other.
If there's more than 1 samurai ... they do not know.
The Shogun ... all he knows is that he is being targeted by the ninjas, he does not know who his or her samurai guard are.
The Ronin knows everyone VIA a special HUD.

I'm going to basically run down what each character does / how they work.
I am NOT going to list specific abilities or tell you what their abilities should be, I believe the coders should have that power.

Shogun:
As long as the you're alive, the Samurai get some special abilities.
You of course gets some special abilities yourself.
Stay alive, trust no-one.

Samurai:
Make sure the Shogun stays alive. If they die, make sure to clone them, and make sure you're not killed yourself in the process.

Ninja:
Kill the Shogun and make sure they stay dead, and the Samurai too if they get in the way.
You have some pretty sneaky gadgets you can use, but don't get caught out in the open.

Ronin:
You're kind of your own person. You're trying to find your way.
And the only way to do that is to kill.
Your special ability is that you can see everyone's role (or lack thereof)

If at any-time ALL of the 'Good' or the 'Bad' are dead, the game ends immediately.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: New Game Mode Idea

Post by wesoda25 » #502932

Sir this is a sci fi game
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #502942

The problem with such strict interaction systems like this is that SS13 is a game that you can assume has, at the absolute minimum, 30 people at any given moment that you need to consider. If the crew is too involved it can make the mode play out in a way that isn't intended, and if the crew isn't involved then the mode is shit and may as well be extended for the vast majority of the people on the server. I don't think this would ever play out the way you intend. Maybe as a side antag?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #503084

I wouldnt mind a extremely obvious side antag that is there to kill other antags and knows who they are (extremely obvious so they too know who he is)
ch0m5
Byond Username: Ch0m5

Post by ch0m5 » #503100

wesoda25 wrote:Sir this is a sci fi game
This can very easily be turned into a "Protect the VIP", a Mafia quarrel, or a Secret Agent fight "Cold War" style between Nanotrasen and the Syndicate.
I like the mechanical idea behind it, the setting that gives it context is very easy to change and manipulate, I don't think that's a problem.