Mining rework: epic floyd style

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Mining rework: epic floyd style

Post by Qustinnus » #512006

Bottom post of the previous page:

no i'm just working in tranquility away from the discord and all other mediums.
davethwave
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Davethwave

Re: Mining rework: epic floyd style

Post by davethwave » #534465

So I can see a way to still make a appealing to people who don't want to separate the roles into a miner/explorer job thing yet. I would keep the ore chunks but not the boulders or make boulders into a latetech way of optimizing mat gathering as well as ore vein. Make plasma cutter so that it still cuts into rock like normal but reduces individual mat gain per individual chunk to 10% or something like that while kpa will have it instead only put up to 50% and have the picks have it set up for 75% diamond pick will be 85% and diamond jackhammer or whatever it's called to 100%. Give the mining station a basic framework of ore refining without most machinery but maybe like a rock cleanser and burner to start with. Keep ORM in but remove the upgrades for it. Allow ORM to process ore chunks but unable to process ores with the big (3?) being diamond, uranium, and bluespace crystal and perhaps making it half the output of plasma silver and gold. Keep hostile mobs in however for the battle junkies. Make goldgrubs have some valuable ore chunks that can contain stuff like diamond gold, or bluespace in them but make them rarer as well. Make special drop items for some fauna to replace the ones that normally drop mats like watcher skulls that can be processed into diamond instead of just 2 random pieces of diamond ore. Make a subchild or something of the conveyor that's slower, have lavaland mobs be hostile to it with exception to the megafauna since it would likely lead them back to mining base. From there I think it would be much more likely to get merged. Then I would say to try to bring the idea of explorer/miner and a new z zone into a new PR in a future date. Don't forget that when lavaland was added that it wasn't instantly great. It was improved on and changed dramatically to what we have today though. I would say work on adding the machinery side of things as well as mining but not the job split or new z zone into the mix yet. Have the playerbase get accommodated with the new system and try to build on the feedback you get. Work in the minor features in later such as a mining vehicle. When and or if you do add the new mining z zone I would recommend that you keep the ore chunks in the explorer area but make it so that the only ore you get on the surface would be stuff like iron and sand since it's the surface while the underground area would be richer with different ore types. Underground rock could be a different rock type by sprite and you could add the plasma cutter interaction with rocks containing plasma to dissuade use of them underground as well as making them more rich overall in materials in comparison to the above ground. You could make ruins in the below ground areas that could connect with the top of lavaland and vice versa as well as make them contain machinery that have different uses you could experiment on in order to maximize material output.