Do deep-rooted traumas need a rework/ removal?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Do deep-rooted traumas need a rework/ removal?

Post by knacker48 » #505029

Right now if you get a deep-rooted trauma the only way to 'properly' remove it is to get a lobotomy, which not only requires advanced surgery, but also quite often gives another permanent trauma which may or may not be worse that the one you just got rid of. At this point your only option is to just kill yourself and get cloned which is far from ideal and since some people want to move towards removing cloning entirely I think it may be worth taking a look at how this could be done better before it just becomes an unstoppable round ender.

Now assuming people still want deep-rooted traumas to exist, what would be some better ways to handle this? Ideally it should still be difficult to remove, but not permanent
Last edited by knacker48 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Do deep-rooted traumas need a rework/ removal?

Post by CPTANT » #505032

Honestly just remove them. Performing brain surgery is effort enough.

And yeah the lobotomy surgery is complete bullshit. Spend research on the procedure and time to perform it and then the patient is worse off so you have to kill and clone them anyway.

Either that or make the lobotomy surgery only gives normal brain trauma's.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #505276

it's a bit odd that the lobotomy has side effects.

It should maybe occasionally fail and give shallow rooted brain traumas but deeprooted ones should be solveable through surgery.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #505292

oranges wrote:it's a bit odd that the lobotomy has side effects.
lobotomized post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy#Effects

I like that there is actually more stakes and consequences to the medical system.

However I wouldn't mind another alternative surgery that doesn't cause any new trauma but that requires some kind of rare reagent or consumable.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #505298

im aware that IRL lobotomy is dangerous, but this is a spacestation in the year 2525
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #505301

oranges wrote:im aware that IRL lobotomy is dangerous, but this is a spacestation in the year 2525
Severing the connection between the prefrontal cortex and the rest of the brain is never not going to be debilitating.

You could add an advanced surgery that injects an advanced medicine(I have an upcoming PR to introduce a suitable medicine) into the brain to cure deep rooted traumas without introducing new ones, but i think lobotomy should stay asthe main treatment.
Stillplant
Byond Username: Stillplant

Post by Stillplant » #505322

First, I'd like to correct a misconception: Cloning does not fix brain traumas. It copies all of them over. See line 234 ff of cloning.dm

I think lobotomy is nice. I especially like that it forces you to make a choice: Do you live with your deep-rooted trauma, or do you take your chances with a lobotomy?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #505527

Stillplant wrote:I think lobotomy is nice. I especially like that it forces you to make a choice: Do you live with your deep-rooted trauma, or do you take your chances with a lobotomy?
Exactly the design decision behind it. If you get a deep rooted trauma, something happened beyond common brain damage, which at worst causes severe traumas. After that, you can keep it, or test your luck with lobotomy, which could worsen your situation, but most likely will improve it (25% no trauma, 25% non-removable special trauma (!), 25% mild trauma, 25% severe trauma).

EDIT: Additionally, there is also the option of a thresholded brain-healing virus, which can cure deep-rooted traumas with no penalty beyond the virus itself.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #505531

you could bring the harmonic nanites lower on the tech tree. that way science could get it earlier if a wizard fucks everyones brain. its another neglected toy at sci that could see more use
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #505539

I think the compromise here is it guarantees removement of the severe trauma and has a high chance of leaving you with a smaller one that's treatable by other means.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Post by knacker48 » #505564

I'm not sure how to check this so I'll just ask. Does the Spontaneous Brain Trauma random event have a chance at giving deep-rooted traumas?

Aside from the fact that I hate that event for unrelated reasons (I once got monophobia while space exploring), having a permanent debuff that you can't do anything to avoid would be really unfair and unfun.