D-Boys. (Mid-Round Content for Security.)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

D-Boys. (Mid-Round Content for Security.)

Post by Shadowflame909 » #506862

I think some interesting mid-round content could be had by using all this code we already have in the game. This would be the general premise.

>>Random Event: Prisoner Dropoff!

Centcomm announces that they'd like to send some absolute lowlives to your station via the gulag shuttle. If you accept this. Then the Gulag-Shuttle (similar to cargo's loan shuttle event) will suddenly have a message allowing you to recieve up to 3 prisoners for a 1.5x multiplier on your paycheck for each prisoner.

The only catch to this system is that, like I said before. The prisoners would be ABSOLUTE SCUM. The lowest of the lows. The guys who killed Ian, destroyed the Christmas Tree, spouted WGW. This is what security is working with. Everyone will know this from the initial centcomm announcement. So if they get valided, then no one would shed a tear. Maybe except for security, since they might want to be paid more.

My goals for the random event gulag prisoner spawner is to encourage a multitude of things.

1. Relieving security boredom. Specifically on Extended, security will be bored out of their minds. This'll lead to grief and early shuttle calls. This mechanic will give them players to guard, to watch and maybe protect.

2. Experimental Punishments. More D-Boys then your normal prisoners. These guys will be treated the same as someone who already broke the "Free valids" and "if you die for being an asshole and ahelp. you'll be banned" rules. No mercy, so Security can decide to test out the guillotine. The electric chair, toss them into a face-hugger egg for xenobio. Basically just not giving a hoot about their lives. This role does have some saving graces though.

3. Paranoia and Activity increasement. These guys are basically the optional ash-lizards. They are assholes, they're pretty much on death-row anyways. You don't want to let them loose because they'll probably have an objective to kill all of the stations pets. Or dare I say it. "Greytide." Security once more, would keep them alive for a paycheck increase. Or because they're otherwise bored. (Maximum of 2.5x.)

More Player-Spawners. More interactions. More fun.

Thoughts?
► Show Spoiler
gallowsCalibrator
Byond Username: Ashtana

Re: D-Boys. (Mid-Round Content for Security.)

Post by gallowsCalibrator » #506863

This sounds pretty intriguing to me, definitely worth a test run at least. Structurally, I think it could be something a bit like abductors? Like if the event triggers and 1-3 ghosts say yes, they get shipped in. Also it should probably only happen if there's at least a few security officers.

Would the d-boys be antags, technically? Like would they be okay to do some antag stuff if they got out? You could even have stuff like traitors helping them escape, or at least using them as a distraction. This sounds really interesting.
Name: Vivian Orloj
Dept: Science, usually

I'm usually around on Sybil-1.
My Discord is Ashtana#2603; feel free to message me, especially to talk about ideas for content and such.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #506864

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to antag them, but if you do want to make them antags, I would recommend instead to make it a high-ish chance to antag them. This way there's actually a chance they're telling the truth when they go "I was framed! Let me go!" Plus obviously Nanotrasen is going to imprison some innocent people, that's just how they roll.

I would also suggest filling in some random crimes for each prisoner like Prison Architect does. Consider it a suggestion for roleplaying.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #506865

So a ghost role that gets instantly thrown in perma and then forgotten about? Doesnt sound like a good idea to me TBH. there is no incentive for security to actually interact with prisoners in any way.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #506866

Perma is escapable though Dr_Bee. And it's also deadly to escape.

I think these two facts give more than enough incentive to watch them.
► Show Spoiler
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #506875

Shadowflame909 wrote:Perma is escapable though Dr_Bee. And it's also deadly to escape.

With the recent changes to R-windows, it isnt escapable without outside help.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #506881

we already have an event with escaped prisoners, unless that was removed. Why would we need another, worse one?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #506941

Because security doesn't interact well with that one and this one is so they dont act like shitters to the majority of the crew, and instead act like shitters to their given targets.

Giving them an outlet
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #506967

1. Security in general keeps busy on almost every round as far as I know. Extended rounds tend to devolve into greytide bonanza, and bored enough security will usually go ask robo for implants or some other useless buff for whatever side antag tends to spawn. This won't really be an issue in Dynamic since antags will tend to spawn to keep them busy.

2. Basically you're telling security to just execute them? That doesn't seem like a very fun role to be as ghost.

3. Randomly spawning greytiders sounds like the last thing I want to deal with as security in any sort of state that isn't dead as soon as possible. Griefy roles / jobs already tend to be the biggest threat to security, even on non-extended rounds. This doesn't bring anything interesting to the table besides "pre-captured antags you should execute asap"

4. "Mid round security content" tends to be whatever other side antags spawn on the station, assuming there's not already some other antag for them to go after.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #507020

So you're saying this PR is bad because security already has greytiders to mess with and beat up and robotics to power-game?

I don't see how an optional side-quest essentially couldn't fit in that.

That's a weird hill to stand on Chen.

YOU could potentially murder them. But it'd be pointless to get them in the first place if you were just going to instantly do that, as you've just lost the 1.5x - 2.5x payment multiplier you would have gotten.
► Show Spoiler
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Post by knacker48 » #507025

If the incentive is more money then you'll probably have to wait until money is actually relevant. Right now most crew don't even use money besides buying the odd bit of junk food from vendors
L_Nacho_Chaos_L
Byond Username: L_Nacho_Chaos_L

Post by L_Nacho_Chaos_L » #512197

Do this but they get given to science for testing instead.
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #513954

Dr_bee wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Perma is escapable though Dr_Bee. And it's also deadly to escape.

Oh ho ho, but that's where you're wrong kiddo. I'll not elaborate on this point because oranges would try and kill it though.

Edit: This idea isn't really too unique though. We've already got fugitives, and two admins I know of regularly run a prisoner transfer event that is essentially this.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #514041

TheMythicGhost wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Oh ho ho, but that's where you're wrong kiddo. I'll not elaborate on this point because oranges would try and kill it though.

Edit: This idea isn't really too unique though. We've already got fugitives, and two admins I know of regularly run a prisoner transfer event that is essentially this.
I guess it's time for me to do some permabrig theorycrafting. My go-to was to just make a false wall before I started 'tiding but it would be more fun to try to break out.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #514109

TheMythicGhost wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

I bet it's using a metal stall to break a light and machines, to use the metal from a frame to make a rod, the cables to make cablecuffs and the shard from the broken light, to make a spear with it all
I never tried cause I assumed there wasn't enough cables to go around but hydro trays do have cables in the machine frame part so maybe I didn't think enough
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #514142

If a person is so adverse to RPing as a convict/death row inmate, then they don't have to accept the role. Simple as that, really.
► Show Spoiler
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #514185

Instead of extra money, security as a team should get greentext at roundend if all delivered prisoners are alive and on the shuttle's brig/the brig escape pod.

It remains optional and the prisoners can still be killed, but this'd create some interesting situations for RP - HoS wants to execute but his sec team wants the greentext, or sec protecting the valids from aggro tide.

Plus more greentext potential for non-antags would be cool, like the station goal.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #514517

Reminder that there is currently a freeze on new antag shit for the coders. Just gonna leave that here.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #514572

Since the focus is more around security and less on the antag I would be okay with it for the purpose of antag freeze.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current