Genetics is really bad right now+my ideas for improvements

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Genetics is really bad right now+my ideas for improvements

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #510334

Genetics is probably the most boring job on the station right now. The quality of your shift is pretty dependent on RNG, sometimes you get everything you want within 20 minutes and sometimes you have nothing at 45 minutes. The actual work is the most mind-numbing shit you could possibly do. Seriously who thought this was a good idea, an irl data entry job is more engaging than this. The superpowers are absolutely overpowered, the only thing stopping you from making the AI antimov on most stations is admin intervention. Race specific mutations are a half baked idea considering there's only 2 (hulk, and flame breath). Chromosomes aren't fully implemented either and require a partner to use which isn't guaranteed. You'll never use them anyway because it relies on you having good genes AND getting the chromosomes you want AND whether or not those chromosomes even have a worthwhile interaction with that specific mutation. The other aspect of the job is running around trying to scan your paranoid crewmates that piss their pants if you're standing on an adjacent tile. Lastly, genetics doesn't necessarily contribute to the rest of the station because handing out super powers to assistants is inherently a net negative for the station as a whole. That part I'm not really worried about because I understand that there's a big list of mutations already brainstormed, many of which are pretty benign. (if someone could post the list that would be grand)

My proposal is this:
-decrease the size of genes
-increase the rate of X pairs
-add a scanner machine outside the room that functions the same way as the handheld DNA scanner
-center the entire job around calibrating your console through various means

I'm thinking dissected bodies could possibly contribute to accuracy, which would place that responsibility on genetics instead of medical doctors. It doesn't really make sense for medical doctors to be in charge of that anyway when there's an underutilized mad scientist in medbay. It would expand geneticist's duties beyond typing letters into an excel spreadsheet. I wouldn't want everything dependent on dissection and scanning crew though, more ideas are greatly appreciated. Hopefully genetics doesn't remain in this state for too long, it's a pretty awful job as is.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Genetics is really bad right now+my ideas for improvements

Post by oranges » #510549

so your goal to improving the gameplay of the job is to just make the rewards arrive faster.

Great job, you really made it more engaging now oh wait you didn't
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Re: Genetics is really bad right now+my ideas for improvements

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #510640

no, rewards wouldn't just arrive faster because the rate of X's would be increased. the speed of the shitty spreadsheet work would scale with how much work you've done making your machine more efficient. you would have to actually think about balancing the time you spend making your machine better and time actually doing the work to get all the cool powers. that balance would vary between players based on whether or not you're ok with brute forcing double X pairs, as well as what kind of work you prefer more.