Energy market

A place to record your ideas for the game.
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Energy market

Post by OFQ » #512715

SM usually produces much more energy than station needs. It would be really nice to have something useful and fun to do with it.

So how about an energy market where you can sell and buy energy? For example add an "energy market" console to engineering (similar to cargonia shuttle) The console will show list of stations that want to purchase or sell energy. Each station will have a price (dynamic) and coordinates where energy should be beamed to sell it. To sell energy engineer picks one of stations from the list with the best current price and its coordinates then he/she grabs EVA suite and builds an energy beam dish outside of the SS13 station (similar to solars) and orient the dish towards specified coordinates, hooks it up to the grid and start beaming the energy in exchange for credits. Purchasing energy works similarly.
Also the power beam thingy could be emagable. In standard operating mode it will turn off when an object is blocking the beam but if emaged it will burn the object + drain all the power from the grid.
Also the console itself also can be emagable/hackable for adding pirate stations that will send money to your personal balance or in exchange for contraband drops. Or something more benign. Like adding syndicate stations with best prices (when hacked)
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Re: Energy market

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #512731

CE could just blow the 50k department card on energy and not set SM
as if that isnt a good thing pls PR
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #512732

I think a better solution would be creating capacitor banks that can be connected to the grid to charge and then pulled like a gas canister to cargo to sell.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #512752

TrumpetPlaya wrote:CE could just blow the 50k department card on energy and not set SM
It can be fixed with a proper supply/demand scale. Basically the more you buy the more it costs.

I think a better solution would be creating capacitor banks that can be connected to the grid to charge and then pulled like a gas canister to cargo to sell.
It would be definitely easier to implement and while dragging capacitors to Cargonia would be less fun thing to do it can make extra power useful. Alternatively we could condense plasma(from atmos/SM) into sheets using a ton of power. I think all this ordeal should involve at least some engineering
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #512826

OFQ wrote:
TrumpetPlaya wrote:CE could just blow the 50k department card on energy and not set SM
It can be fixed with a proper supply/demand scale. Basically the more you buy the more it costs.

It would be definitely easier to implement and while dragging capacitors to Cargonia would be less fun thing to do it can make extra power useful. Alternatively we could condense plasma(from atmos/SM) into sheets using a ton of power. I think all this ordeal should involve at least some engineering
This could actually be a good excuse for a revamp of how items use the powernet. If the code for storing power was consistent between SMES units, capacitors, and batteries, you could later add extra features like charging cells or mechs straight from the grid.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #512935

I don't think we should add this until some exploits are smoothed out, namely the stupid shit with radiation breaking the laws of thermodynamics
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #512950

PKPenguin321 wrote:I don't think we should add this until some exploits are smoothed out, namely the stupid shit with radiation breaking the laws of thermodynamics
Does it really matter? We can already use fusion to do that, or siphon miasma with a vacuum chamber for infinite buxx. The money economy isn't really that seriously maintained aside from the most egregious exploits.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #513024

Sandshark808 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:I don't think we should add this until some exploits are smoothed out, namely the stupid shit with radiation breaking the laws of thermodynamics
Does it really matter? We can already use fusion to do that, or siphon miasma with a vacuum chamber for infinite buxx. The money economy isn't really that seriously maintained aside from the most egregious exploits.
What I'm saying is that turning energy into money would immediately lead to exclusively egregious exploits
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #513030

no one cared about the exploit until i put on the mask
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #513033

Making 1e22 GW of power right into the grid is not an exploit!

Is a way of life
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513076

Like I said you can soft cap it with exponentially diminishing returns. More supply - less demand.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513077

Ghilker wrote:Making 1e22 GW of power right into the grid is not an exploit!

Is a way of life
That assistant breaking grilles is in for the shock of a lifetime.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #513256

When you balance power is when ill add mechanics that give you bonuses for having more power.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #513277

thoughts on power balance: increase flow and stock at APCs, reduce stock at SMES, reduce top-tier flow from SM, fix exploits
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #513280

Mu expluyt

But seriously

make the SM produce less power with basic setup, not enough to sustain an active station so you have to connect at least 2 solar arrays.

Make the APC hold less power so that they have to drain more energy from the SMES and so more energy needed from the SM

Make the machines and lights use more power as well as the vents and scrubbers

Make the overload function of APC snip more power (like a quarter of the maximum or more) from the internal battery and the more power has the battery the higher chance to blow up a machine (more like having it smashed than blew)

Make the atmos "machines" (pumps, filters, mixers) to have a overclock function toggleable with a multitool to consume more power but to have a higher pressure/volume transfer with the risk of some spillages (in theory this should already be a thing if you look at the last fusion PR but it doesn't work)

Fix radiation exploit of infinite amount of matter bins (no more stupid SM power glitch)

Fix fusion TEG by adding a cap of power OR make fusion harder by adding tiered Canisters and pipes so that you need tier 4 canister and pipes to hold that pressure and heat, make it that if you dont use those it will blow up or spill everywhere

Other power making idiocy are good because most (if not all) of them are not glitched/are hard worked
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #513582

Ghilker wrote:Mu expluyt

But seriously

make the SM produce less power with basic setup, not enough to sustain an active station so you have to connect at least 2 solar arrays.

Make the APC hold less power so that they have to drain more energy from the SMES and so more energy needed from the SM

Make the machines and lights use more power as well as the vents and scrubbers

Make the overload function of APC snip more power (like a quarter of the maximum or more) from the internal battery and the more power has the battery the higher chance to blow up a machine (more like having it smashed than blew)

Make the atmos "machines" (pumps, filters, mixers) to have a overclock function toggleable with a multitool to consume more power but to have a higher pressure/volume transfer with the risk of some spillages (in theory this should already be a thing if you look at the last fusion PR but it doesn't work)

Fix radiation exploit of infinite amount of matter bins (no more stupid SM power glitch)

Fix fusion TEG by adding a cap of power OR make fusion harder by adding tiered Canisters and pipes so that you need tier 4 canister and pipes to hold that pressure and heat, make it that if you dont use those it will blow up or spill everywhere

Other power making idiocy are good because most (if not all) of them are not glitched/are hard worked
it would be great if SM had nice cost efficiency curve to it. At this point default setup + solars give you enough energy for a big station. Adding more emitters, upgrading stuff, adding more cooling loops is just a waste of scarce resources for no reason so it is in a way griefing similar to when robo dudes grab all metal and make like 6 borg shells at the shift start. Also old bug with SM discharge arcs that prevents them from getting captured by tesla coils and grounding rods is a big time party pooper for any tryhard SM engineer.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #516505

Adding more emitters, upgrading stuff, adding more cooling loops is just a waste of scarce resources for no reason so it is in a way griefing similar to when robo dudes grab all metal and make like 6 borg shells at the shift start. Also old bug with SM discharge arcs that prevents them from getting captured by tesla coils and grounding rods is a big time party pooper for any tryhard SM engineer.
No. It isn't. There's 4 emitters in storage roundstart. Once there are T4 parts, there's usually enough material to be worth spending some on the SM freezers. Extra cooling loops are a waste? We can print literally infinite of them with the RPD. They also allow you to do hotter setups. I'd quite like to see SM discharge arcs be captured by tesla coils but I doubt it'd be much of a power source. Most tryhard SM engineers know that the negligeble amount of power one would get from those zaps are nothing compared to the power you can get by, say, moving the radiation collectors closer by.

You would definitely need to patch some exploits. We can't balance an energy market around both super power SMEs being hard to make normally, and retards being able to make 40 MW engines just by tossing in a few space bluespace RPEDS.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #516610

FloranOtten wrote:
Adding more emitters, upgrading stuff, adding more cooling loops is just a waste of scarce resources for no reason so it is in a way griefing similar to when robo dudes grab all metal and make like 6 borg shells at the shift start. Also old bug with SM discharge arcs that prevents them from getting captured by tesla coils and grounding rods is a big time party pooper for any tryhard SM engineer.
No. It isn't. There's 4 emitters in storage roundstart. Once there are T4 parts, there's usually enough material to be worth spending some on the SM freezers. Extra cooling loops are a waste? We can print literally infinite of them with the RPD. They also allow you to do hotter setups. I'd quite like to see SM discharge arcs be captured by tesla coils but I doubt it'd be much of a power source. Most tryhard SM engineers know that the negligeble amount of power one would get from those zaps are nothing compared to the power you can get by, say, moving the radiation collectors closer by.

You would definitely need to patch some exploits. We can't balance an energy market around both super power SMEs being hard to make normally, and retards being able to make 40 MW engines just by tossing in a few space bluespace RPEDS.
Even with working grounding roads it gonna make SM look much cooler + allow it to run at higher power levels. And enable another level of autism like slime/anomaly farming with controlled delamination. At this moment power arcs seems to ruing equipment and zap dudes without electricity protection that kind makes SM too greafy.

Extra cooling loops are waste in terms of adding a shit ton of freezers to run burning tritium/plasma shenanigans. The impact on station economy depends on server population and mining. Top T parts can be pretty expensive. Also risky SM setup gives nothing to the rest of the station but it can ruin everyone's day. Sometimes CE even ask SM memers to limit rads since it doesn't do any good but creates hazard. Local shitsec and condoms (for some reason) like to run around SM and get contaminated. Then they rush to medbey and SM plasmameme getting lynched for irradiating everyone.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #516616

OFQ wrote:Extra cooling loops are waste in terms of adding a shit ton of freezers to run burning tritium/plasma shenanigans. The impact on station economy depends on server population and mining. Top T parts can be pretty expensive. Also risky SM setup gives nothing to the rest of the station but it can ruin everyone's day. Sometimes CE even ask SM memers to limit rads since it doesn't do any good but creates hazard. Local shitsec and condoms (for some reason) like to run around SM and get contaminated. Then they rush to medbey and SM plasmameme getting lynched for irradiating everyone.
I suggested this in another thread, but I honestly think plasma windows should block radiation. There needs to be some protection for the station with a fully locked down SM with the shutters closed.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #516715

Ridiculously increasing energy output with fucking Irradiated items and tritium engine shouldn't be required, as engineering fucks it up constantly or uses it as an excuse to fucking kill everyone with radiation. We don't need them to fucking be encouraged to do this.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #517452

Reyn wrote:Ridiculously increasing energy output with fucking Irradiated items and tritium engine shouldn't be required, as engineering fucks it up constantly or uses it as an excuse to fucking kill everyone with radiation. We don't need them to fucking be encouraged to do this.
Rads are actually easy to fix. We just need rad scanner airlocks similar to virus scanners that mad bey memers can install. So if you are radioactive as fuck you simply wouldn't be able to live the engine room.