Restart vote kinda suck

A place to record your ideas for the game.
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Restart vote kinda suck

Post by OFQ » #515775

I mean the fact that not voting seems to count as voting no makes it fail most of the time. Also sometimes people vote to restart because they got salty at antag for ruining their autistic project or something. I think it will be better if instead of simply restarting the game CentCom would send an emergency shuttle that will arrive in a fixed time and can't be recalled. You even can make it more "fluffy" with a message like "Hey <STATION_NAME> you are useless shitters, especially you <CONDOM_NAME> you gonna get demoted to a janitor and will be tasked with cleaning up the mess your uga-buga crew made".

This way antags will have time to finish their greentext and the vote can be more strict (not voting will not count)
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Restart vote kinda suck

Post by Sandshark808 » #515801

OFQ wrote:I mean the fact that not voting seems to count as voting no makes it fail most of the time. Also sometimes people vote to restart because they got salty at antag for ruining their autistic project or something. I think it will be better if instead of simply restarting the game CentCom would send an emergency shuttle that will arrive in a fixed time and can't be recalled. You even can make it more "fluffy" with a message like "Hey <STATION_NAME> you are useless shitters, especially you <CONDOM_NAME> you gonna get demoted to a janitor and will be tasked with cleaning up the mess your uga-buga crew made".

This way antags will have time to finish their greentext and the vote can be more strict (not voting will not count)
It's supposed to suck, and not voting is supposed to be a no vote so that a minority of people can't salty-restart and ongoing match. The whole point of the system as it is, is to neutralize restart voting entirely.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #515804

I just use it to counteract the existence of the current mapvote. Keeps the ssethtiders from keeping us on meta 24/7. Restart and map votes share the same cooldown, so you can call a restart vote to prevent people from changing the map near the end of a round. Probably not intended behavior, but it's so well-known by now that it should have definitely been fixed already.

Other than that niche use, I've actually never seen a restart vote pass in years. The only purpose I can see in its continued existence is to force a necessary restart in case admins aren't on. Which is an extreme rarity these days.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #515805

Meta is based I think that's the one thing I disagree with you on good sir.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #515807

it's really only for use in low pop situations, you'll never see a restart vote pass outside of those
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Post by OFQ » #515808

I got restart once after voring whole station with SM singulo and power beacon :D
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #515826

calling the shuttle would mean the restart vote couldn't be used for something that requires more immediate attention.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #515849

The two times I remember seeing restart votes pass was when the MC crashed two rounds back-to-back and nobody could move. The only way to make restart votes work more often while not catering to a minority of salty players and forcing the majority to interrupt their rounds to vote to counteract this vocal minority would be to make it so X percentage of players have to vote for the results to count. I don't know what that number would be though. If it was 51%, it'd be no different to the current system. No voters would be better off not voting to avoid reaching this threshhold, which would mean yes voters would still have to be over half the server. Any less than 51% and a minority of players are deciding to restart on behalf of an unpolled majority. The only thing I can think of to make the system better without skewing it in favour of a minority or forcing people to interrupt their rounds to vote is to not count inactive players as "No" votes. But anyone inactive for longer than 10 minutes gets kicked from the server anyway.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #515895

It's funny cause Imsxz used to salt restart vote every time for more antag rolls.
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #515925

deedubya wrote:I just use it to counteract the existence of the current mapvote. Keeps the ssethtiders from keeping us on meta 24/7. Restart and map votes share the same cooldown, so you can call a restart vote to prevent people from changing the map near the end of a round. Probably not intended behavior, but it's so well-known by now that it should have definitely been fixed already.
It's funny you say that since playing on meta 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days of year is a thing exactly because server takes into consideration preferred map of people not voting, which is meta, and that's vast majority of population.
And so we're stuck in endless cycle of Meta, and it's infuriating.
As an off topic remark I think it would be best if default preferred map was null for people who never bothered to set it up. But we know it's never happening.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #515949

Restart votes are designed for when the server is fucked and you can't keep playing. They're thus explicitly OOC. Trying to make them IC is an extremely bad idea.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #515997

Omni wrote:
deedubya wrote:I just use it to counteract the existence of the current mapvote. Keeps the ssethtiders from keeping us on meta 24/7. Restart and map votes share the same cooldown, so you can call a restart vote to prevent people from changing the map near the end of a round. Probably not intended behavior, but it's so well-known by now that it should have definitely been fixed already.
It's funny you say that since playing on meta 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days of year is a thing exactly because server takes into consideration preferred map of people not voting, which is meta, and that's vast majority of population.
And so we're stuck in endless cycle of Meta, and it's infuriating.
As an off topic remark I think it would be best if default preferred map was null for people who never bothered to set it up. But we know it's never happening.
I'd forgotten about this and I agree with you and having fucked with client prefs recently in my semi-random appearance pull I might make a PR setting new players' map pref to none.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: