Modular Computer Apps

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Modular Computer Apps

Post by Arcanemusic » #516551

Alright gang, now that I'm getting more comfortable with TGUi's wierd bullshit, I'm going to be trying to making some TGUi Apps to be used in game.
If there's an idea for an app in game that would make you ACTUALLY CONSIDERu using your roundstart tablet instead of tossing it in the garbage for the clown to pick through, post it here.
I have a short list of ideas so far, but throw any ideas my way as you get them.

Arcade App:
[*] Functions the same as the arcade computer, but uses an obnoxious amount of space to download because it was developed by EA.
[*] Probably just going to do the combat arcade game, since it's the least intensive code-wise.
[*] Upon winning, if your tablet has a printer component, prints a stackable arcade ticket, and every ticket can be redeemed at an arcade console to receive a standard toy prize.
(Preemptively reminding myself not to forget that emagged arcades give bombs for prizes.)
[*] Possibly create a global variable that tracks who has the most arcade wins.

Departmental Purchasing App:
[*] Can only be downloaded by heads of staff.
[*] Once swiped with your department's budget, allows you to buy items from within your department's tabs from the cargo console, and emergency supplies.
EG: Medical can only buy things like virus crates or extra medkits, not like russian surplus crates.
[*] Cargo has first right of refusal to deny any department's purchase, as they have to handle it.
[*] Finally, departments can use their budget cards for something other than having them be stolen by cargo.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Modular Computer Apps

Post by Sandshark808 » #516601

How many departments get tablets at roundstart?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #516782

My recommendation is to start with the core PDA programs.
First:
Messaging:
The chat program is not very useful in its current state. Make it into the messenger instead, including the ability to reply from the chatbox.

PDA functions based on the installed cartridge:
This includes stuff like:
  • control of the station's bots
  • Reading the air where you are standing
  • medical analysis, which Medstaff have
  • med/sec records, respective to role
  • crew manifest, for the heads
  • reagent/gas/radiation scanning, These let you smack your PDA against things to read data on them.
Love for pAIs:
PDAs can accept pAIs, but they have no interactions. Maybe slotting a pAI into your tablet should give it access!

The messaging program is the most important one to get right, since it is a widely used function that the tablets lack. You would want to tackle cart functions next. They need not be separate programs, but one super program with flags according to the installed package. The pAI stuff is just pure fluff. Not needed, but pAI players surely would appreciate being able to do more for their masters!
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #516817

Camera monitor with intelligent access (if you have medical access, you can see medical's cameras but you can't if you don't.)
Photo camera (needs additional hardware for phototaking, and a printer for printing said photo)
Word processor (can print documents with printer)
Email
Email administration
Read-only security/medical records
Bot managers
Ability to blacklist and trace NTNet devices
E-book reader
Newscaster
Able to be linked with request consoles
"Ringer" (add a button to departmental access points that ping tablets of the relevant employees to indicate someone's at the door)
Read-only access to bounties
Public forum/imageboard
shellspeed1
Byond Username: Shellspeed1

Post by shellspeed1 » #517455

What about adding medical records, security records, and the suit sensor display medical has to modular comps?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #517464

If you want people to use the tablet remove the stupid download process and just have the apps available at round start

Who wants to look at a virtual download bar every round? What does it add to the game? would it really be so horrible for the alarm monitor to be available round start? (literally the only app I ever use)
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #517514

Just making the power monitor useable on a tablet would be fucking great.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #517814

Only way they won’t be a dumb version of pda is if they can use large comp programs
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #517859

confused rock wrote:Only way they won’t be a dumb version of pda is if they can use large comp programs
- Power monitor program needs a wire to test the network
- AI :ai: fixer not being tablet friendly I think is a balance thing
- Supermatter monitor is wonderful
- Station alerts is okay as a program
- ID changer program is one of the best you can have as a head, especially the HoP since it means you will not be chained to your ID console. A shame most HoP players do not know about it

Some large computers that would be awesome as modular programs:
- Crew Monitor
- Techweb R&D console
- Security/Medical records
- Power Flow Control (The thing that lets the CE remotely turn off people's power)
- Supply Request, so you can remotely annoy Cargo
- Prisoner management
- Mining shuttle console, including the Aux Base, so the computer there can be made into a modular one

Well, now you have more ideas than you could ever code, so have fun with that!
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #518630

See the modular computers that already exist. Really the PDA's and Tablets could be merged to something better. Also the power monitoring console we could have a item instead that can be placed on a network to work as its "connection" for the wireless.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #518678

Security records would be awesome to have on a tablet as long as the interface isn't a pain in the ass and laggy
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #518691

BeeSting12 wrote:Security records would be awesome to have on a tablet as long as the interface isn't a pain in the ass and laggy
Most apps just mimic the function of the normal PC but in your hand, so it would probably look almost the same as the normal one.