Security: The Buddy System

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Security: The Buddy System

Post by Jzoid » #516791

One thought that came to me recently, was a passive way to indirectly make security a bit more competent, with this came the buddy system.

The Buddy System is the ability for two security members to link a device in order to grant an extra buff.

The goal of this is to indirectly fix several points about security:
Fixing lone-wolf mentality
Giving more immersion/room for roleplay in the role
Help prevent less power-tripping
Prevent a single security member be yanked and sacrificed round start
Lower security equipment into circulation
More competent security teams

I have the buddy system, as I plan for it to be, laid out in to two separate sections. The first being the more possible version being added, and the second being a less-thought about, or harder to balance addition to the system being added.

Let's go over the first part, or the core of the buddy system.

Two security members can link up a device, be it a new device, or their PDA's (granting syndicates the ability to bomb their PDA's to get rid of these buffs). These devices can be stolen, emagged, and used by traitors. When within vision of eachother, these devices give a direct buff to those holding them. I have yet to decide on this, flat, round-start buff, but here are a few of my ideas:
Damage reduction
Charged stun immunity (one charge, recharges after x minutes being near)
Flat movement speed boost (something minute like 5%)
Partial stun immunity (like boosted stamina, so stamina damage takes longer to do it's work)

This would give incentive to security officers to stay together.

The second part, is a dynamic part, granting security members extra points for doing their jobs correctly, in order to give themselves further buffs, this is the more problematic part.
Firstly, we've got to decide, what counts as "doing their job well", we could always do flat round-time, but that rewards you for existing. I thought of going onto the Head of Security approving of arrests made, but the Head of Security may end up just approving every arrest in order to get their boys juicy buffs. So I thought of an AI making disapprovals of arrests, since AI's are typically more neutral. I see one problem with an AI doing this, which is law 2; which is why I believe it can be an "off-station" AI of sorts, still controlled by the AI's player, as if centcomm had a module checking each worthy arrests, just to get around the whole "LAW 2 AI GIVE US GOOD BOY POINTS"

With each lawful arrest, security may get a point to upgrade on their buddy system, giving them options such as:
Buddy's connection going through walls, not requiring sight, just needing to be on screen.
Everything else from the list above.

Thoughts?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Security: The Buddy System

Post by wesoda25 » #516794

uhh you should just allow them to track one another via their PDAs bro not this shit
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #516846

wesoda25 wrote:uhh you should just allow them to track one another via their PDAs bro not this shit
Yeah, this seems to involved and code-costly. Just have Sec officers' Huds allow to pinpoint a fellow Sec officer like Cults do with their targets.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #516950

Tracking another security officer via PDA/UI? I say it's a nifty idea. A lone security officer is just a validhunter wearing red, but two security officers are the fuzz, the law, the man, the federalés.
► Show Spoiler
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #516963

people don't wanna RP or play cooperatively on bagil, I feel like my buddy will just ignore me and keep validhunting alone anyways, ss13 is a single player game anyways
we should try it out first I guess, but I don't have high hopes for this
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #516967

teepeepee wrote:people don't wanna RP or play cooperatively on bagil, I feel like my buddy will just ignore me and keep validhunting alone anyways, ss13 is a single player game anyways
we should try it out first I guess, but I don't have high hopes for this
This is why policy and code should never be made by or for Bagil players.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #516970

nobody tell him the entire game is balanced around the highpop server
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #516978

:thinking:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #516983

you should take note that i specifically said high pop server and not bagil, it fluctuates and is doing so now
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #516985

correction: the game is balanced around the one I play on
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #516988

wesoda25 wrote:you should take note that i specifically said high pop server and not bagil, it fluctuates and is doing so now
I'm mostly memeing. Sybil and Bagil are very different communities with different players and admemes, but it's not as big of a rivalry as people pretend it is.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #516989

Sandshark808 wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:you should take note that i specifically said high pop server and not bagil, it fluctuates and is doing so now
I'm mostly memeing. Sybil and Bagil are very different communities with different players and admemes, but it's not as big of a rivalry as people pretend it is.
yeah at the end of the day theres a lot to hate about both of them and sybil isnt even sybil anymore, but bagil is becoming its true self now that its being abandoned by the crowd
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #517120

Like, at most, they should get a pinpointer to point to each other or something the rest of these buffs don't really make any sense
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #517229

Isn't this...just my Sync Gear idea? From my idea thread? Lmao

Edit: but weirdly applied.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #517231

this is just stealing my people's buffs now.

i mean just watch this
Spoiler:
[youtube]HTLZjhHIEdw[/youtube]
In all seriousness, this just seems like the fucking XCOM Enemy Unknown mind merge except it's not as shitty.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #517270

wesoda25 wrote:uhh you should just allow them to track one another via their PDAs bro not this shit
oranges wrote:Like, at most, they should get a pinpointer to point to each other or something the rest of these buffs don't really make any sense
Calomel wrote:Just have Sec officers' Huds allow to pinpoint a fellow Sec officer like Cults do with their targets.
yeah just give sechuds that cult tracker thing for anyone in a security jumpsuit with the sensors up
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #517317

A pinpointer that only works on security officers/people wearing security uniforms with suit sensors sounds great to me.
► Show Spoiler